Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New '21 Stelvio purchased in September, no issues for 808 miles.

Got in it this afternoon to go to an appointment and computer threw just about every error code imaginable. Engine is misfiring (car is swaying on idle) and it barely moves in Drive or Reverse. Car is in some type of extreme "limp mode", basically immobile.

I shot a video of the issue, see link below.

Called Alfa Romeo dealer i purchased from here in Pensacola. They immediately dispatched a flatbed and picked it up. Spoke to service manager, he is going to call me in the morning with an update.

I suspect some firmware needs to be updated, reset or rebooted. Thoughts? Opinions? Anybody seen this before?

Stelvio_Error_Codes.MOV - Shared with pCloud

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
They will likely check each connector to the various control modules, maybe one came loose. If all good, then next step is checking each module.
Thats assuming it isn't just the battery, which accounts for 99% of issues like this.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"Misfire" is what the service manager at AF suggested when I described the rocking/swaying at idle that began about 60 seconds after starting the engine.

I suspect that it may also be the engine not running on all cylinders as a condition of being in "limp mode".

Got a text from Alfa Romeo Pensacola that they are evaluating my car now. I let them know about the battery/low voltage suggestion. Hopefully this will be resolved today and I will have the car back before Thanksgiving. Family coming over to eat and I would like to show off the new Stelvio with a trip to the beach 🏖

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They got back to me. You won't believe this:

They said the tech discovered a wire loom that had evidence of being "chewed on", stripping a small amount of insulation from two wires and causing a short. He is evaluating it to see if repairing the two damaged wires solves the issue or if it is more extensive. They are saying it is out of warranty because that is damage that occurred outside any responsibility of AR. If it is isolated to just those two wires, they estimate $240.00 for an OOW repair.

Right. Ten minutes of online research reveals the issue with soy based "green" wire looms used by various manufactures providing a feast for rodents. Known issue and clearly a design defect. Nissan had problems with spiders getting into fuel systems because of similar design defect and they owned up to it.

I have had the car 5 weeks, it has 808 miles on it and it has been parked in an environmentally controlled, closed, attached garage under active pest control contract and zero evidence of rodent activity. I haven't even opened the hood on it. If such damage occurred, it was on the boat on the way over from Italy or in the Alfa Romeo new car lot.

They are discussing it with service manager now. Doubtful I will get it back until after Thanksgiving.

This is my first experience with Alfa Romeo and how they handle service issues. I really hope they are going to take the high road and make an effort. After reading here about the exploding sun roof fiascos I am cautious but hopeful.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Just for perspective.

Under 1000miles, brand new Porsche Boxster.

Lights come on. Car runs fine, but bunch of warning lights. Drive to the dealer.

Call me a day later, ran a code went to check electrical connections suggested by code, reach up into the space, and a really angry chipmunk jumped out.

$2500 later no more dash lights. Again, nothing was wrong with how the car drove. Talk of warranty coverage simply because the car was new....didn't happen.

(Why not look myself? The Boxster has no engine access except for from under the car...the dealer was 60miles away, family shop 200miles and without a lift and engine hoist/support, couple of people to help drop and steady the engine assembly... no one can do anything besides an oil change on that car.)

It takes 30 seconds for a rodent to do damage....and they can do it while you drive because they don't always leave just cause you started the car and are driving somewhere.

Since then, I spray pure tea tree oil under the hood around the engine bay once a month, not alot but it keeps aways rodents and living things...

Every brand uses this same type of insulation, yes this is a known issue, no one covers it under warranty, 90% of owners never have an issue the 10% who do...ehh 10% acceptable loss. Can't win em all. (Not my opinion, not what I like. Not what want or agree with. Is how it is though. Despite what people seem to think...I am not important and do not decide or influence how vehicle manufacturers do business, just try to accept it and work around to not get screwed while also being realistic so my blood pressure stays healthy.)

If Alfa does cover under warranty, good for them and you. I hope they do, to expect it however is a bit much.

The spider recalls happened with Nissan, Toyota, Mazda and other Japanese vehicles and involved more than fuel system problems, airbags going off for no reason or warning was another problem related to spiders. The airbag problems were only on Toyota's though.

It had nothing to to with wiring insulation attracting bugs and everything to do with poorly designed vents that could be blocked by spider webs and then cause critical fumes to not vent and cause a life threatening situation.
(In Toyota's case it was also A/C condensation vents that got blocked causing the moisture to then drip onto the air bag controller, shorting then misfiring the driver's airbag resulting in 3 injuries in 3 different vehicles I believe - this is injury to the driver directly from airbag, there were secondary injuries and property damages from the accidents that happened after the airbag fired while the person was driving, making them jerk the wheel and hit the brakes while in traffic or diving highway speeds...).

Very different...good thing that was with Toyota, Mazda, Nissan...any Italian or American brand might worry about losing their reputation for flawless design and engineering...but them japanese brands are just so very wonderful....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Final update - I got my car back this evening. Issue resolved. Service manager billed it as an electrical defect under warranty, no charge to me. Tech had to splice / solder two wires back together. Passed full diagnostics check and driving it home, ran great. Service manager said he would check on the edible wire loom possibility but at the end of the day, zero chance of anything being done about that. They did check all other exposed and accessible wiring and harnesses for signs of similar damage and found none.

I have zero rodent issues in this house, I know because we just bought the place 5 months ago and had a thorough inspection done. No evidence of chew marks (rats sharpen their teeth on any exposed bare wood) or droppings, etc. That said maybe something else with a penchant for electric harness insulation coverings.

I would like to give kudos to the service folks at Alfa Romeo/Maserati of Pensacola. Namely the service manager Houston. They definitely took the high road and delivered. Okay there was the initial call implying it was not covered and something about $240.00 but I forgive that. Communication is key.

They even washed and detailed it for me before I picked it up. 👍🏻

1 - 13 of 13 Posts