Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Stelvio Veloce Misano Blue Metallic/Black
385 Posts
It wont work, there is no fix yet. this is an issue with 20, 21, and 22s. Same as the tiles not saving in the '21s. Car just came back from the dealer and only thing that got updated was the HVAC system software.
It was not an issue with my 2020, but is with my 2022. I have been going back and forth with an Alfa rep in FB messenger. They have no clue unfortunately.

·
Registered
2022 Stelvio Veloce Misano Blue Metallic/Black
385 Posts
If you purchased your Stelvio new, it's pretty likely you've reached the buy back threshold for your state's lemon law statute. 60 days down would more than qualify in most states. Short of asking for a replacement vehicle or money back repurchase, (which FCA would rather avoid) I would recommend asking for a big fat Mopar Service Contract for the maximum time and mileage limit available. Reimbursement for a rental car is a no brainer as well if you have receipts.

FCA generally will listen to any reasonable request for a goodwill gesture in situations like this. They don't want mad customers walking around when there is an opportunity to make amends, (within reason).

Source: I worked for FCA. Early in my career I worked in customer relations and was an arbitration manager at one of our field offices.
Can you contact one of your FCA buddies and tell them to get a software update for the glitches? ;)

·
Registered
2022 Veloce Ocra GT with Active Assist Plus
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Can you contact one of your FCA buddies and tell them to get a software update for the glitches? ;)
If only I had that much pull with the Alfa brand folks. Of course, without software quirks, what would we all have to talk about? I'm excellent at giving retired factory guy advice, though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It wont work, there is no fix yet. this is an issue with 20, 21, and 22s. Same as the tiles not saving in the '21s. Car just came back from the dealer and only thing that got updated was the HVAC system software.
I read that 2018 models had the issue. The dealer should know this an issue if its still the case - its cold in Michigan would think it would be a major dealer issue here. Ill keep you posted.

·
Registered
147 Posts
It’s in the engine bay right below the PCV solenoid on the side 1 engine bank… had noticed the smell around 6k miles and didn’t think much, but went into my Indy shop for an oil change at 11k and it smelt horrible and they found that sensor leaking. I immediately looked into any recall notices on my app and sure enough, 11/12/2021 AR said that this was an issue for my build number.

made me peep under my engine cover as well :) I don't smell anything and no leaks. looks like such a simple fix but I know how it could be involved. Idiot like me would have used a spray adhesive to stop the leak :LOL:
thank you for the vid.

·
Registered
147 Posts
All cars I think have minor issues but sounds like some of you had some major ones. Just to list a few of the issues with other brands:
BMW m5: check engine light. thermostat issue. Major? serpentine belt off, water pump checked and replaced thermostat. 2 weeks out of comission. Window regulator failure. Key recoding since max number of keys replaced. Audi q7: TPMS issue: Took back several times. 3rd time, they replaced all sensors and the parts. Out of service for 2 days. Audi S4: front camera and seat belt error: took back 3-4 times? replaced front camera and seat belt MDX: infotainement center issue: constantly rebooting.. Replaced the unit. Alfa: wheel balance, noice after engine off.( high pitch sound for 2-3 mins)

haven't had a perfect car no matter what the price of the car is. Every forums report issues making people sensitive but some forums post solutions and fixes. I hope this is one of those forums to help others.

·
Registered
2020 Stelvio Veloce 2.0 Petrol Q4
260 Posts
That high-pitched sound you hear for a few minutes after engine off is the LT coolant pump cooling the turbo. Perfectly normal.

·
Registered
2021 Stelvio Ti Sport
328 Posts
I read that 2018 models had the issue. The dealer should know this an issue if its still the case - its cold in Michigan would think it would be a major dealer issue here. Ill keep you posted.
The '21s have the issue, 2 of us have it both Oct '20 builds. Lots say all cars have quirks, if the feature is there it should work no matter what brand of car, people love their brands, but things that have actual software menus for them should work. I bought the car becauase I was looking for a car with auto start that would have the comfort features, just like my wife's xc90. Alfa needs to test the features, regression test on updates and changes to software before deploying. I no longer will buy a BMW due to the 2.0l timing chain debacle. I came back to Alfa, we use to have a 164. Love the car, but they should fix some of the easy things in the software. You can't build back a brand with stuff that doesn't work. Regular non aficionados notice these things. Then of course lots buying them around me just hit the on off pedals and slam them down the road while on the phone.

·
Registered
2020 Stelvio Base RWD
356 Posts
Almost 8k on mine, no issues yet.
Driver side rear view mirror shakes a bit at high speeds, but I'm used to it already, my Mazda CX5 had the same issue.

·
Registered
2020 Ti Sport
3 Posts
A lot of the back and forth in the forums relates to quality/reliability issues, particularly with first or second model year (2018-2019)) Stelvios.

Obviously, we can't really judge overall brand quality or reliability based on anecdotal issues reported in a forum. Every forum I've been involved in, regardless of brand, is mostly about "issues" someone had with their vehicle.

As a recent owner of a Porsche Macan S, I can assure you, the content on the Macan forum looks eerily similar to what we read in this Stelvio forum. Cars break, weird stuff happens, and people complain about how much it costs to get things fixed. With Porsche, things are just a lot more expensive when they break. $17K for a PDK transmission replacement, etc, etc.

One point I'd like to make about the Stelvio, or any other completely new product, is the first couple years do have more than their share of "issues". Converesely, subsequent model years get better and better. Manufacturers spend A LOT of time and money analyzing warranty data, tearing down and analyzing failed parts from warranty returns, and meeting with suppliers to find root causes and corrections to failures.

My argument on Stelvio or Giulia quality and reliability is that the new ones have very competitive overall quality. Initial quality surveys and warranty data supports the idea that as a platform ages, quality always goes up and continues to go up every year.

A prime example of this would be FCA's own very aged LX platform cars: (Charger/Challenger/300) They have outstanding quality ratings by every major industry measurement.

I have such confidence in the 2022 Stelvio that I traded in a Macan S for one. Yes, the Macan is an excellent vehicle, and yet, I found the Stelvio to be more engaging to drive. The VW group platform that the Macan is built off of has its own set of compromises that ultimately hurt its handling dynamics in spite of Porsche engineering the hell out of it to make it handle as much like a Porsche as they could.

My question for all of you with new 2021 and 2022 Model year Stelvios is; How are things going?

I would speculate that few If any of your are having any problems at all.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My late MY 2019 only was in once for a battery replacement in almost three years. Took delivery of a 2022 Veloce 3.5 weeks ago and it’s already in the shop—hopefully just a couple of loose sensors. It will drive okay for about 10 miles before auto/start stop + CEL and throttle warning / limp mode around corners. The code it’s throwing is related to the fuel pressure sensor b circuit (P018B). I’m lucky to have a great dealer and shop + on my 4th AR with them (took delivery of a 2022 Ocra GT QV Giulia the same day, traded the Stelvio Ti and kept my 2019 Q4 Giulia Ti Sport), so not overly worried about anything. I was just about to have it PPF’d and bought Nero Dark Miron badging for it to swap out too (I’ll post pics once it’s done, kept same color specs, Vulcano Black, red interior + new 21” Dark 5 Holes).

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
I hate saying it, but reality is what it is.

From what I'm seeing, thanks to the shortages and the resulting ramp up of production and lowering of quality standards/reducing quailty inspections, to fill orders and get product out the door at the supplier level.....

These years will not be the best in terms of initial reliability, still as good as an 80's Toyota on average but...

For many brands..the number of TSBs and recalls is going haywire. Half the industry seems to have gotten bad fuel pumps since 2019. It isn't being publicized but Toyota has a fuel pump recall that covers 3.3 million cars happening right now. Honda, Subaru, Kia, Hyundai, BMW, Mercedes....all have fuel system recalls right now.

Specifically for Bosch supplied high pressure pumps..which is what Alfa uses too. Chances are Alfa got a few bad ones as well. Good news is if that is it, it's a known issue and should be fixed fast.

Keep us updated please!

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 Prime XSE
509 Posts
I hate saying it, but reality is what it is.

From what I'm seeing, thanks to the shortages and the resulting ramp up of production and lowering of quality standards/reducing quailty inspections, to fill orders and get product out the door at the supplier level.....

These years will not be the best in terms of initial reliability, still as good as an 80's Toyota on average but...

For many brands..the number of TSBs and recalls is going haywire. Half the industry seems to have gotten bad fuel pumps since 2019. It isn't being publicized but Toyota has a fuel pump recall that covers 3.3 million cars happening right now. Honda, Subaru, Kia, Hyundai, BMW, Mercedes....all have fuel system recalls right now.

Specifically for Bosch supplied high pressure pumps..which is what Alfa uses too. Chances are Alfa got a few bad ones as well. Good news is if that is it, it's a known issue and should be fixed fast.

Keep us updated please!
I had a fuel pump fail in a 2015 mazda cx5. Still drove, but was very weak. No damage. Took it to work and then the dealer the next day. BMW 335i would just nuke the engine. Wonder what the Stelvio do?

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 Prime XSE
509 Posts
I'm sure you'll tell us in March in your future thread named "Just got my Stelvio and the damn fuel pump is already dead".
Im not going to say you're wrong, lol! I have horrible luck with vehicles, but I'm st the point in life that I should do some nutty stuff. Italian car fits. I'll never bill this as smart, but it should be fun.

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
Huh...do you know what your trying to say there?

...cause ya lost me with this latest nonsense story.

One is a joke, to admit to and celebrate the many eccentricities of the vehicle.

The other..well...yup. Been saying it almost 4 years now. So definitely a setup, not new though..and definitely more of a setup a few years ago when literally I was the only person saying Alfa"s can be driven hard reliably. Back before the Guilia's JD Power score got above average for instance...or any of the remotely positive blogs or articles.

Meanwhile Toyota has increasing problems reported...and Alfa's reliability has increased enough that an educated consumer such as yourself sells thier RAV4 to get an Alfa.

So.. me being consistent for years. Which would mean.... nothing like you.

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 Prime XSE
509 Posts
Huh...do you know what your trying to say there?

...cause ya lost me with this latest nonsense story.

One is a joke, to admit to and celebrate the many eccentricities of the vehicle.

The other..well...yup. Been saying it almost 4 years now. So definitely a setup, not new though..and definitely more of a setup a few years ago when literally I was the only person saying Alfa"s can be driven hard reliably. Back before the Guilia's JD Power score got above average for instance...or any of the remotely positive blogs or articles.

Meanwhile Toyota has increasing problems reported...and Alfa's reliability has increased enough that an educated consumer such as yourself sells thier RAV4 to get an Alfa.

So.. me being consistent for years. Which would mean.... nothing like you.
I think the issue with Alfa isn't the hardware, but the electronics, etc. from what I have gathered on this forum. That isn't likely to deadline the car.

·
Registered
11 Posts
3 1/2 months with my '22 Veloce / 5800 miles.
First - I absolutely love the car. I look forward to driving it every day.
Truth be told - I have had to go back to the dealer 3 times for a CEL - caused somewhere in the exhaust recovery / vacuum lines. Occurred at: 250 mi / 1500 mi / 2500 mi.
Auto start/stop gets disables, and I can only drive in N, but everything else is normal when this happens.
Two of the incidents self-cleared in a matter of days; but the dealer still wanted to see the car each time (and gave me a loaner). I will say the dealer in Salt Lake City has been absolutely outstanding in taking care of this. The car is always drivable, but a CEL shouldn't happen.
The last time in - a seasoned tech said he had seen something like this before - and knew of a fix that wasn't on the 'standard' list. They cleared the requested repair through Alfa Romeo and ordered a part. (I got the car back and drove it - with no CEL the whole time - while we waited for the part). When the part was in - I dropped off and picked up the car the same day. They gave me a Maserati Ghibli for the day. Nice engine / boring car - couldn't wait to get back to the Stelvio.
Another 500 mi since getting the car back - still no CEL. I hope it stays that way.
The engine continues to feel stronger as time goes on.
I would also say this is one of the most refined rides when cruising that I have experienced in any car I have owned; yet is at the same time sporty, and obviously responsive like none-other.
Very happy customer

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
@Zephyrgtw if the problem continues don't be afraid to post about it specifically or send some private messages.

If you don't mind giving in-depth descriptions and/or showing the work order and tech's descriptions...we've had good luck nailing down things...also nice to have a record of a solution wherever it comes from.

In particular I've had a couple people contact me about vacuum leaks and check engines lights in '22 Stelvio's recently.....so I'm interested in what they come up with.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts