Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Stelvio Veloce Misano Blue Metallic/Black
385 Posts
I just traded my 2018 Sport Ti for a 2022 Veloce. I had the 2018 for 3-1/2 years and I can honestly say I didn’t have one speck of trouble. Hopefully the 2022 will be as good. View attachment 24528
It is so far for me! 2020 Ti to 2022 Veloce Misano Blue. Great color choice with the 21" wheels! Good luck with it!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I hate saying it, but reality is what it is.

From what I'm seeing, thanks to the shortages and the resulting ramp up of production and lowering of quality standards/reducing quailty inspections, to fill orders and get product out the door at the supplier level.....

These years will not be the best in terms of initial reliability, still as good as an 80's Toyota on average but...

For many brands..the number of TSBs and recalls is going haywire. Half the industry seems to have gotten bad fuel pumps since 2019. It isn't being publicized but Toyota has a fuel pump recall that covers 3.3 million cars happening right now. Honda, Subaru, Kia, Hyundai, BMW, Mercedes....all have fuel system recalls right now.

Specifically for Bosch supplied high pressure pumps..which is what Alfa uses too. Chances are Alfa got a few bad ones as well. Good news is if that is it, it's a known issue and should be fixed fast.

Keep us updated please!
So, they ordered a new fuel pressure sensor, they’re going to try that first before replacing the pump. ETA of 4 days on the part arrival, so hopefully back in a week.

One other oddity to report, the radar cover fell off at some point over the course of 0-1,000 miles. Had that replaced quickly as the radar components behind it are about $4K USD. Parked it immediately while waiting on the part—ordered one from Centerline overnight and my dealer’s came in first. Keeping the other as a spare.

So, in the first month of ownership, it’s been in the shop or parked for more time than the entirety of the almost 3 years on the MY19.

I suppose if you buy 4 vehicles from the same automaker over the course of time, the chances of you hitting a snag with one are greater.

I went through this with Acura too, owned 6-7 TLs/TLXs/MDXs and the last one, the SH-AWD A-Spec sedan (first year, 2019) was in the shop for a total of two months over 10 before I got rid of it. Owned 2 2006 TLs and one was great, the other had a lot of issues.

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
Yeah, nothing is perfect, defects and lemons happen to them all...more you buy of any one brand greater chance of a problem.

Just gotta remember the good ones when you get the bad one, decide if you enjoy the brand enough to keep going or switch to something else.

With me it was VW.

I'de guess you got one with a few defective parts...that cover, the sensor or pump (depending hopefully just the sensor)..once they get fixed it'll just drive like the others did. 🤞

·
Registered
2022 Veloce Ocra GT with Active Assist Plus
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
@Zephyrgtw if the problem continues don't be afraid to post about it specifically or send some private messages.

If you don't mind giving in-depth descriptions and/or showing the work order and tech's descriptions...we've had good luck nailing down things...also nice to have a record of a solution wherever it comes from.

In particular I've had a couple people contact me about vacuum leaks and check engines lights in '22 Stelvio's recently.....so I'm interested in what they come up with.
So, what do you do or did do for your job? The amount of technical stuff you come up with or have experience with is honest pretty impressive. I'm new to the forum having bought my Stelvio December 1st. and the sheer volume of your posts makes me wonder how you have the time and what your background is.

I spent 30+ years working at FCA in several roles, mostly working with dealers in our field organizations and I can recognize that you've been around the block in a service department or some technical job. What is it or was it?

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
30+ years in repair.

3rd generation auto shop owner (sorta..it's family), been diagnosing cars since I could think. Ran several dealership service departments, besides working in car sales for a few years, made it to closer... Also helps I have multiple cousins in the business, sister does the warranty paperwork for a dealer...

Plus I just love how cars work.

There have been a few years of dabbling in other things like video production and animation, but I keep going back to cars.

Semi-retired for a few years now, but I do diagnostic work freelance. A shop can't figure something out they call me. Been trying to get out for few years, it's a stressful business and diagnosing software problems makes my brain hurt......but it's what I'm best at.

·
Registered
2022 Veloce Ocra GT with Active Assist Plus
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
30+ years in repair.

3rd generation auto shop owner (sorta..it's family), been diagnosing cars since I could think. Ran several dealership service departments, besides working in car sales for a few years, made it to closer... Also helps I have multiple cousins in the business, sister does the warranty paperwork for a dealer...

Plus I just love how cars work.

There have been a few years of dabbling in other things like video production and animation, but I keep going back to cars.

Semi-retired for a few years now, but I do diagnostic work freelance. A shop can't figure something out they call me. Been trying to get out for few years, it's a stressful business and diagnosing software problems makes my brain hurt......but it's what I'm best at.
Well, you might not hear this very often, but thank you for your contribution to the forum.

The Giorgio platform has its occasional quirks and although I could still pull the retired factory guy card and call a former colleague if I had to, it’s nice to know you’re out there providing Alfa owners with sage advice, as opposed to some of the clueless pontificating I read here.

Cheers.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Here is a test case we can use to see if older model problems are really being addressed in the latest model year 2022’s. A few weeks ago my 2018 Giulia had a small plastic bleeder valve break, spilling turbo coolant all over the engine bay. This little plastic piece was located on the 2.0L turbo cooling return line (see finger in pic below) and the expansion coolant tank. This 10 cent piece of plastic was not a stand alone part but was part of a turbo coolant return hose assembly as they call it. To my surprise I was told that this $70 part had been updated and that this potentially fatal plastic part had been redesigned and was taken out of the system. The new replacement hose assembly had just one solid hose coming off the turbo back to the coolant tank. So I’d really like a few 2022 owners to look and see if there is a small plastic bleeder valve still being used on their 2022 2.0L engines. Basically, has this important quality redesign made its way into the 2022 production models???
Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 Prime XSE
509 Posts
Here is a test case we can use to see if older model problems are really being addressed in the latest model year 2022’s. A few weeks ago my 2018 Giulia had a small plastic bleeder valve break, spilling turbo coolant all over the engine bay. This little plastic piece was located on the 2.0L turbo cooling return line (see finger in pic below) and the expansion coolant tank. This 10 cent piece of plastic was not a stand alone part but was part of a turbo coolant return hose assembly as they call it. To my surprise I was told that this $70 part had been updated and that this potentially fatal plastic part had been redesigned and was taken out of the system. The new replacement hose assembly had just one solid hose coming off the turbo back to the coolant tank. So I’d really like a few 2022 owners to look and see if there is a small plastic bleeder valve still being used on their 2022 2.0L engines. Basically, has this important quality redesign made its way into the 2022 production models??? View attachment 24543
This is why I try to buy latest model cars. All sorts of silent design changes happen with quality companies. I, too, and curious if that is addressed in 22.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Black Automotive fuel system

Like this?

I have an 18 stelvio.

Interestingly enough...I have an appt next week because the coolant level in the overflow tank keeps dropping for no reason. There's nothing dripping from this bleeder valve, but at least I'll be able to say "I happen to know they eliminated the bleeder valve in the 22's...."

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
No....probably it won't break. That isn't worth doing if it doesn't break. If it does...nice to know it won't happen again because of a better design.

There are definitely alot of revision like that, but they aren't a '22 thing. Those running changes have been happening.

Stuff like the sun visor clips being redesigned, or the button to close and lock the rear hatch getting changed to not stick when they get dirty...

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 Prime XSE
509 Posts
No....probably it won't break. That isn't worth doing if it doesn't break. If it does...nice to know it won't happen again because of a better design.

There are definitely alot of revision like that, but they aren't a '22 thing. Those running changes have been happening.

Stuff like the sun visor clips being redesigned, or the button to close and lock the rear hatch getting changed to not stick when they get dirty...
But if it DOES break, that kindof sucks. I think the real question is...how much is the hose? These sorts of things get so brittle I've discovered over time. I worked on a Jeep Cherokee (maybe 8 years old at the time?) that my roommate wanted me to change the PCV valve on. I broke so much brittle **** under there that I PAID to do that job for him, lmao!

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 Prime XSE
509 Posts
He said $70.

So not an expensive thing to pre-emptivly replace for sure.

For the most part parts are cheap on this car compared to a Porsche or BMW. More like Infinity or Acura pricing. Not cheap but not crazy expensive. With exceptions...the tranny, AWD system..
What does the ZF8 used in this cost? The AWD system, I don't think it is likely to fail, but what "would" fail on it conceivably? Cost?

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
Not sure about cost.

The center diff would be the worry. Same unit as BMW but modified and more expensive I would bet. I would think half again the cost of the unit Mazda uses..which is similar. Same supplier and basic design.

The ZF 8HP is $5k used? Haven't looked in a while so might be off some.

I would guess the all-in-one power booster, ABS unit, master cylinder electric brake controller would be alot compared to a standard master cylinder more like the cost of a full system replacement as far as parts cost I bet. It don't know haven't looked it up..never been a report of a problem with it I heard. Even as expensive as it sounds..bet it's about $1k tops.

Not cheap, but hopefully doesn't effect being able to eat if it happens type. Definitely not Benz or Porsche money.

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 Prime XSE
509 Posts
Not sure about cost.

The center diff would be the worry. Same unit as BMW but modified and more expensive I would bet. I would think half again the cost of the unit Mazda uses..which is similar. Same supplier and basic design.

The ZF 8HP is $5k used? Haven't looked in a while so might be off some.

I would guess the all-in-one power booster, ABS unit, master cylinder electric brake controller would be alot compared to a standard master cylinder more like the cost of a full system replacement as far as parts cost I bet. It don't know haven't looked it up..never been a report of a problem with it I heard. Even as expensive as it sounds..bet it's about $1k tops.

Not cheap, but hopefully doesn't effect being able to eat if it happens type. Definitely not Benz or Porsche money.
That's really not that crazy, I figure if I keep $5K in an account after the warranty is up I should be able to handle most common failures without worry. Well worth it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
He said $70.

So not an expensive thing to pre-emptivly replace for sure.

For the most part parts are cheap on this car compared to a Porsche or BMW. More like Infinity or Acura pricing. Not cheap but not crazy expensive. With exceptions...the tranny, AWD system..
The plastic bleeder gets very hard and brittle and then breaks due to the heat cycles in this area, that is located very close to the turbo. New design has totally removed this piece with a single hose. You really don’t want this failing when you are miles from home and ruining the turbo. Part was covered under warranty.

·
Registered
25 Posts
so.. preamtively, I should replace the valve with a straight hose...right?
Right. iMHO … I was lucky and found the break after only a very short drive so nothing major was damaged. Really really lucky. Getting all the orange coolant cleaned up is another story. Avoid if at all possible.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts