Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
61 - 80 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
I would get the new revised Alfa part that has all the correct bends. This is a pressurized coolant return line that goes into aluminum tube on top and T’s into a larger size rubber hose under the coolant tank. A few bends and twists here. Since my plastic piece broke this was all covered under warranty. Not sure if Alfa has a TSB on this but they really need one.

·
Registered
33 Posts
To do a DIY on this, just remove the hose clamp on the long hose just before (in front of) the plastic piece. Then remove hose clamp and the short hose that is attached to the aluminum tube coming off the turbo.Then just reattach the long hose to the aluminum tube. There is plenty of length in the original long hose. This is a zero cost solution. Hose clamps are removable with a very small screw driver if you do not have the proper Clic-R type clamp removal tool.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Realize, this change may have been done, not because there are problems....

But because continued analysis by the people who compute projected warrenty expenditures who are proactively trying to save the company money....realizing this is a possible weak spot. And it's an easy to do both improve the vehicle and justify thier continued employment.

Not that replacing it is a bad idea. Just....given the number of reported problems it isn't a super common failure. Now...as the car hits 100k....then it would be super smart to take care of proactively. Below that...I would make a note and do it when convenient. What I plan on doing myself actually.

That DIY is a good idea and would probably work. Same time......it could very possibly void the warranty on the engine too. If you are out of warranty though....

Still..be 100% sure you damaged nothing and got that clamp reattached right...didn't bend it at all. Personally I never reuse hose clamps, everyone I work with thinks it's overkill.forever...to me, it's a cheap way to be sure it's done right.

·
Registered
2015 4C LE 075 in Alfa Rosso | 2022 Giulia Quadrifoglio in Ocra GT | 2022 Stelvio Veloce in Vulcano
41 Posts
So, they ordered a new fuel pressure sensor, they’re going to try that first before replacing the pump. ETA of 4 days on the part arrival, so hopefully back in a week.

One other oddity to report, the radar cover fell off at some point over the course of 0-1,000 miles. Had that replaced quickly as the radar components behind it are about $4K USD. Parked it immediately while waiting on the part—ordered one from Centerline overnight and my dealer’s came in first. Keeping the other as a spare.

So, in the first month of ownership, it’s been in the shop or parked for more time than the entirety of the almost 3 years on the MY19.

I suppose if you buy 4 vehicles from the same automaker over the course of time, the chances of you hitting a snag with one are greater.

I went through this with Acura too, owned 6-7 TLs/TLXs/MDXs and the last one, the SH-AWD A-Spec sedan (first year, 2019) was in the shop for a total of two months over 10 before I got rid of it. Owned 2 2006 TLs and one was great, the other had a lot of issues.
Update on the 2022 Stelvio Veloce--took it back home today, gone maybe a total of 4-5 days (just waiting on the part)--replaced the fuel vapor sensor and another sensor was loose, fastened it down. They drove it twice, 50 mile trips--no CEL's/ASS errors. Ride home today, nothing. Finger's are crossed this was just a blip :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m totally agree with the comments.
If you buy an Alfa Romeo, you have a different driving experience than driving a Toyota.
In our days the automobile industry is very divided and diverse. The customers can have the vehicle which meet theirs demands. Some are looking for premium brand, vehicles with most advance technology some are looking for reliability.
Alfa was and is a brand which offer a special drive experience and performances.
Unfortunately, some times the price for performance can be some reliability issues.
Premium brand, BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Porsche etc. are facing too, many reliability problems too.
I just received my Stelvio 2022 and I very glad to have this car and to enjoy the driving and performance of this wonderful car.

·
Registered
‘18 Stelvio Ti Sport fully loaded It’s a DRIVER!
245 Posts
Does anybody have the part number for the turbo coolant return hose assembly replacement? Murphy’s law is always in effect for me so I would rather just replace it. I guess I can always call the shop but that can be painful

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
To do a DIY on this, just remove the hose clamp on the long hose just before (in front of) the plastic piece. Then remove hose clamp and the short hose that is attached to the aluminum tube coming off the turbo.Then just reattach the long hose to the aluminum tube. There is plenty of length in the original long hose. This is a zero cost solution. Hose clamps are removable with a very small screw driver if you do not have the proper Clic-R type clamp removal tool.
My kind of repairman....

·
Registered
33 Posts
Does anybody have the part number for the turbo coolant return hose assembly replacement? Murphy’s law is always in effect for me so I would rather just replace it. I guess I can always call the shop but that can be painful
The part number to the new revised part is 68530460AA. About $70 if not covered under warranty. I have raised this problem to our dealership and they will be pushing this up so maybe we will see a TSB (grass roots style).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2022 Stelvio Veloce delivered on 2/20/22. Two weeks after the check engine light came on....been to back and forth to the dealership (1 hour away) and they can't fix it. Said it needs a "software" update. In the mean time, it drives completely different. Check engine light disables the start/stop and the dna knob is disabled. So disappointed in the purchase and their inability to resolve the problem.

·
Registered
2022 RDX A-spec Advance
933 Posts
I have a 2022 Stelvio Veloce delivered on 2/20/22. Two weeks after the check engine light came on....been to back and forth to the dealership (1 hour away) and they can't fix it. Said it needs a "software" update. In the mean time, it drives completely different. Check engine light disables the start/stop and the dna knob is disabled. So disappointed in the purchase and their inability to resolve the problem.
Has the battery been replaced? Id figure thats not likely as a 2022 hasnt had time to rot on the lot, but still, that sounds like all the battery issues others report.

·
Registered
2022 Stelvio Ti
722 Posts
OK, and this is based on nothing but what I read here, the QV do seem to have some issues that span the years.

My experiencer with the 2.0 over four vehicles, 2017, 2019, and 2022 (2), have been trouble free across all of them. The MCR has resulted in a better Infotainment system but still not UConnect, and a nicer shifter. Otherwise, they all feel the same to me and that feeling is AWESOME!
John

·
Registered
28 Posts
Stevie - I had this same problem. My dealer happened to be closer; and tried different things each time; but it seemed to happen every 1500 miles or so (first one at 250 miles). If it is similar to my issue - wait a few days (sometimes 5), and the CEL will clear itself. I was hoping each 'fix' would solve the problem, but 1500 miles later and I'd get another CEL. Seemed to always clear before I got the car to the shop (they wanted to see it anyway), or clear while sitting there. The last 'fix' had to be approved by Alfa, as a master technician said he had seen a similar problem before and knew how to fix it. I had high hopes, but only 2500 miles later and another CEL. I didn't take it in this time - just let it clear. It's been another 3000 miles and I haven't seen the CEL yet.
I did buy an AGM battery based on recommendations from this forum. There is some logic to the battery being the potential cause; and it's a relatively easy fix (probably good preventative maintenance anyway).
Keep your faith in the car. It is a joy. I know the CEL is a severe disappointment; but it is not catastrophic ... likely a minor electrical bug.
If you like - I can send pictures of the documents for the various 'fixes'

·
Registered
132 Posts
Similar for my Veloce.
Built on 1/11/2022.

This Saturday, driving around, the CEL kicked on, the Stop&Start Unavailable light flipped on, the Service Electronic Throttle Control Light on, and the Service Engine message on the display. DNA modes locked into N.

First thing I did when I got home was tested the battery. 12.82 volts at the battery terminals after sitting for 4 hours.
Tested the battery voltage at the under hood jump points, and it was 12.71 volts there, so the battery IS NOT the issue in my case.

When I fired up the engine, the idle speed was hunting wildly, with sudden jumps and drops between 1500 and 2800.
When I drove the car, and it got fully warmed up, engine speed is nice and stable around 800 rpms in neutral.

To me, it sounds like an unmetered air leak past the throttle body somewhere, but it doesn't happen when warmed up, which is odd.
If its leaking air, it should happen, warm or cold.
Warnings are on as soon as key on, engine off, so they are not going away on their own.

Called up the dealer this morning, and he said that there was a new TSB and flash released just 2 weeks back, that should cover this situation.
So then I got to pull up the Alfa roadside assistance website, and request a tow to the dealer, because I'm not driving it 50 miles in stop and go highway traffic, in case it decides to drop into limp mode, or takes out the engine running way too lean if it is in fact an unmetered air leak.

After a couple of calls back and forth with the towing company (note that I DID NOT call Alfa Roadside Assistance), instead of them showing up at 1:52 pm to pick up the car, they arrived at 3:50 pm to pick up the car. I called my dealer a couple of times to let him know about my issues with the tow company, and let them know when they actually did pick up the car, and start heading their way. The dealer was nice enough to call me back when the car arrived at their service lot exactly an hour later, which was amazing time, considering it was heading into rush hour here in Denver when he took off.

So, hopefully I will get a call tomorrow afternoon, telling me that my Stelvio is all fixed up, and ready to be picked up.

·
Registered
'18 TI Lusso AWD
638 Posts
(note that I DID NOT call Alfa Roadside Assistance)

Wise man, learns from others

of course if they don’t call you tomorrow, and you feel the need to spend a lot of time on the phone complaining to the service manager and the VP or maybe the owner, I got your back. You can tell them I’ll never use them. I’ll go to SLC over them for sure.

·
Registered
132 Posts
of course if they don’t call you tomorrow, and you feel the need to spend a lot of time on the phone complaining to the service manager and the VP or maybe the owner, I got your back. You can tell them I’ll never use them. I’ll go to SLC over them for sure.
Hah.
I guess that's always an option.

Or I'll just wait, and be patient, and not be a jerk to the people who have one of my cars under their care.

I've dealt with one car that was massively problematic, and spent an unreasonable amount of time at the dealer, constantly being repaired, until they finally figured out the overall cause. I never blew up at the dealer, nor at Chrysler. Right around the same time, we had a Ducati that also had an ongoing electrical issue, and we missed an entire spring and summer to that bike being in the shop every other weekend.

I learned a long time ago that there are 4 people you should never piss off:

Never piss of the person making your food;
Never piss off the IT guy at work;
Never piss off your mechanic;
And never, ever piss off your wife.

You will live a much longer, happier life this way.

61 - 80 of 90 Posts