Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

· Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
Lol I could send the old one pictures, they both look exactly the same, just the new paint is more shiny.
I would have liked to get a white one with a red interior, but the other colors they had were too much for me…..a brilliant green and yellow, and for me the discount was more important than the color.
But the 2022 compared to the 2018 is not « exactly » the same car. The exterior is similar and there are a few changes inside, different seats, a little bit diff buttons and center console but by the way the engine while idling sounds exactly the same way as the old one.

But although I have driven in the 2022 just a few miles, my impression is that the N mode is much more quiet and silent, and that the D mode is more aggressively tuned than expected the old one. One thing that I don’t like is that now the Sport sound is also default with the D mode.
infotainment system is completely different, now you can see the oil pressure, boost pressure, torque being generated etc etc that is really interesting to me and it will take me some time to get used to it.

anyway I would have never ever traded my 2018, I am missing it already. The only problem with my 2018 were the misfires while cold. I know that a lot of owners did not have that problem and I did everything to try to avoid them, hard driving, Seafoam, charging the battery, pressing start and waiting to start, changing the air filter, changing the spark plugs etc etc but they always came back at the end, frustrating.

And the dealer did NOTHING to try to fix it. Never tried to change anything, not even an injector or coil. Incredible. Never even checked or suggested that carbon build up may have been the case.

The Varta battery never gave me a problem in more than 4 years. Go figure!!!

by the way a lot of people here in the forum complain about problems, Alfa problems with quality, being unreliable etc.

Compared to others they are nothing. I was considering getting a GV70 Genesis and a used MB AMG Glc 63s. I discharged both after I browsed thru their forums.

I liked how the GV70 drove although it is a little bit odd looking car. I. In their forum I found out that the Genesis with the 3.5 biturbo dual injection had a lot of problems with the differential and electrical gremlins and the customer service was super bad, not existent.
Mechanics in Hyundai dont have an idea on how to fix them and the parts took months and months to arrive. What a nightmare.

The MB forum was even worst. It seems the GLC 63s AMG has a problem with the front suspension and crabbing. Tires are gone in a few miles. And MB can not fix it.
Lots of unhappy owners. It had a LOT of power and Torque since it was a V8 Biturbo. Impressive. But the handling felt very heavy. Probably it is a much heavier vehicle than the Stelvio. But it was a very good looking car.

By the way I think this forum is really the best. Alfa owners are kinda friendly and passionate with their cars. The other one that is somewhat similar it’s the Porsche Macan forum. Although there are some know it all « elitist » members in that one. The MB forum was super boring. And the GV70 more or less the same.

· Registered
6,322 Posts
The E-LSD differential in Hyundai/Genesis/Kia products are a nightmare. Yes, injector problems.... electronics... Forward Collision sensors are a problem for them.

As far as Benz... It says something when a person who works at a Benz dealer in the warranty dept.... Wouldn't drive one if it was given to them.

The way the throttle responds in the newer Alfa's is different, more pre-programmed in terms of response curves. Makes sense if the "N" mode is a little less aggressive "D" would be a little more. The changes aren't night and day, between the newer and older but are definitely different.

I bet after enough seat time you'll bond with the new one and not miss the 2018. The throttle just takes some re-adjustment probably, pressing further down in "N"
to compensate for less agressive tip-in, less in "D" maybe.

Off topic: that Hyundai can build cars that really are less reliable than Alfa's at the same price point, but are seen as more reliable..... Is the best possible argument for Alfa offering a ten year warranty. Seriously if Hyundai can do it with their defect ratios Alfa's should have no problem and it would change public perception of the brand faster then anything else.

It's not a fair comparison, but an EV6 GT vs a Quad .... I bet the EV6 sees the service bay more often by a lot if driven in the same way. Even if not.

.... Track ANY Hyundai product with an E-LSD enough times, it WILL break (the exception here are so rare they prove the rule more then anything). Drive hard on the road ... It will probably break.

(Side note: am I the only person that reads "E-LSD" and thinks it's some computer simulation of what being on hallucinogens is like? Think something like Star Tours or Rise of the Resistance at Disney, but instead of Star Wars it simulates living in the 60's. The E-LSD experiance.)

· Registered
2022 montreal green quad
155 Posts
I'd spend the extra money for a 2020+. In fact I did. There's definitely more changed than just what you can see as evidenced by the discussion. They fixed a lot of the little things that were issues on the earlier cars. They also changed some of the ECU mappings for better or worse. Having the exhaust open in D is what you want IMO. I typically drive in D and I don't know why you'd want to do your every day driving in R.

But that's just my opinion and everybody has to decide how they want to spend their money.

· Registered
Montecarlo Blue Carbon Pkg. Ceramic Brakes
9 Posts
I opted for a 2020 QV with Carbon Ceramic brakes....fully loaded with sun roof and all. It's probably one of a very few given the color (Monte Carlo Blue and interior white door panels with Alcantara seats and green/white stitching ... yellow brake calipers). Anyway, coming off a 4C which is IMHO one of the BEST cars ever made. I think I made the right choice. It's fast, fun and very well made. Way more comfortable than the 4C and faster. However, it's not as raw and engaging as the spider but as far as SUV's....nothing comes close! The 2020 upgrade was the reason I pulled the trigger.

· Registered
2,928 Posts
I've been tempted as well. While I love my '22 Veloce, it would be an easy QV trade with prices like they are.
You won't lok back if you do. As much as I liked my 2018TiS as much as any car I have owned, the Quad is in another league. It is the closest engaging feel to my Lotus vehicles. High compliments indeed

· Registered
2022 Veloce Ocra GT with Active Assist Plus
724 Posts
You won't lok back if you do. As much as I liked my 2018TiS as much as any car I have owned, the Quad is in another league. It is the closest engaging feel to my Lotus vehicles. High compliments indeed
My issue is more about a tough decision on what I want, (a QV), and what I have to give up to make it happen.

My ‘22 Veloce is paid for as is the ‘11 C6 Grand Sport parked next to it. I have roughly $90k in equity sitting there so the math makes it really easy to do a trade with no money out of pocket.

Is it worth giving up an 11,000 mile 6-spd Grand Sport Convertible AND a ‘4,000 mile ‘22 Veloce to get in a new ‘22 QV?

Do I love the Corvette a bit too much to part ways for a QV? Damn, tough call.

I suppose I could just trade the Veloce and stoke a check for $27K. But, do I even drive enough for the QV to be worth it? I’d rather not write that check.

First world problems, right?

I’ll ask my wife what she thinks. LOL.

· Registered
2022 Stelvio Veloce Misano Blue Metallic/Black
574 Posts
My issue is more about a tough decision on what I want, (a QV), and what I have to give up to make it happen.

My ‘22 Veloce is paid for as is the ‘11 C6 Grand Sport parked next to it. I have roughly $90k in equity sitting there so the math makes it really easy to do a trade with no money out of pocket.

Is it worth giving up an 11,000 mile 6-spd Grand Sport Convertible AND a ‘4,000 mile ‘22 Veloce to get in a new ‘22 QV?

Do I love the Corvette a bit too much to part ways for a QV? Damn, tough call.

I suppose I could just trade the Veloce and stoke a check for $27K. But, do I even drive enough for the QV to be worth it? I’d rather not write that check.

First world problems, right?

I’ll ask my wife what she thinks. LOL.
What's trade in value on your Veloce?

· Registered
3,542 Posts
"do I even drive enough"
We gave our son the old bmw, and I keep thinking a 4c would look nice in the driveway.
But how often would it get out? As a vehicle that actually gets used, I think the SQ is unbeatable.
I wish my neighbors had more interesting cars in their driveways, then I wouldn't want to fill mine.

· Registered
2022 montreal green quad
155 Posts
I opted for a 2020 QV with Carbon Ceramic brakes....fully loaded with sun roof and all. It's probably one of a very few given the color (Monte Carlo Blue and interior white door panels with Alcantara seats and green/white stitching ... yellow brake calipers). Anyway, coming off a 4C which is IMHO one of the BEST cars ever made. I think I made the right choice. It's fast, fun and very well made. Way more comfortable than the 4C and faster. However, it's not as raw and engaging as the spider but as far as SUV's....nothing comes close! The 2020 upgrade was the reason I pulled the trigger.
That's a nice spec. I wanted the montreal green and sparcos or I would have gotten a low mileage used car. I wanted the white door panels, but that was removed as an option for 22. At least with the sparcos I still got alcantara seats.

· Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
If the discounted 2022s are new vehicles with a full warranty not sure what is worrying about a good deal???
I was just was wondering how come if a lot of brands are selling over MSRP and have waiting times, they are offering 15% discounts on brand new Quads.
Why? What about resale values?
But actually another member explained very well why this was happening.

The deals were very good, actually I took advantage of them.

· Registered
58 Posts
Some Alfa's will be rebadged Maser's, some rebadged Dodges. (Hopefully not all rebadged Dodge's)

That is one development that probably isn't bad for the brand long term, might get more in people's hands where they can learn how good the cars are. (Ya know.. since Stellantis seems to not be willing to do a 10 year powertrain warranty....)

Agree to a point, but the question is whether those Alfas will be as good as the current ones…

· Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Actually It's probably one of a very few given V with Carbon Ceramic brakes

21 - 33 of 33 Posts