Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1984 Red Spider Veloce to 2019 Stromboli Gray Nero Edition Stelvio
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I had a 20K mile service on a 2019 Stelvio at my (only) local dealer. When I picked up the car, they recommended an additional service that is not covered by my Mopar maintenance plan. If I recall correctly, it is some type of fuel filter flush/replacement (but more involved sounding than that). I was told some story about a valve sticking open and causing harm to the engine if I didn’t consider this extra service (@ $250). I know my description isn’t a good one, but if anyone has been sold the same type of thing by a dealer, I’d like to know whether you did it, or if you think it’s just a dealer upselling me? Thanks!

·
Registered
2022 Stelvio Veloce Misano Blue Metallic/Black
457 Posts
At 20K the maintenance schedule states brake fluid flush and cabin filter replacement. Is that what they were talking about?

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Guess they are tring to deal with the DI motor problems in a profitable manner. I suggest you just put your foot into it and hold a gear at 5000rpms for a minute or 2.............way more fun. Good old Italian tune up. so much for yet another maintenance plan...............

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
They try and make it sound like we have serviceable fuel filters but we don't.

Then they use the term "induction sytem cleaning" and fuel sytem treatment.

Its bogus. Its like putting Seafoam in the induction system and bg44k in the gas tank. Pretty worthless.

Any chemical induction treatment is not going to do much of anything on real carbonized valve buildup.

Its a good thing it won't either because if it did break it up you'd have it passing through your cylinders and turbine and cat which is not good.

Ford actually issued a bulletin against this...not because they actually work and cause carbon chunks but because you're effectively burning the chemicals as a fuel during that time and they get superheated and the engine is run during it and those egts can cause damage.

Skip.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
It isn't a required service.

However, if done regularly and early, as a preventative measure it does clean out carbon before the carbon gets truly baked on and hardened, every 20k is about right for that. If done by a qualified professional before damage/build up happens there is no chance of a problem.

That Ford bulletin.... It applies to Ford's in a specific situation. And not even all Ford's... Some of them.

All that said... I don't do those cleanings on my personal cars, and I don't sell them to customers. Never have, think it's a waste of money.

Better to just change the oil sooner, never use cheap gas, then let the engine fully warm up before beating on it and cool down after. If you don't do that though... Might want to do a cleaning at 20k, then start. Or just start... I would just start.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Your might want to put this all in perspective; assuming they covered all suggested 20k maintenance, what was the cost of your 20k service? I had mine done recently @ $780.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
If they actually did those services i bet it wouldn't be much different at a Chevrolet dealership.

At 170 bucks an hour thats not a bad deal speaking relatively anyways.

I was just quoted $720 to change my transmission filter on my c8. Its an external filter btw. Mind you no fluid change at all...they just change the filter. I walked out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts