Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just need to vent a bit about my service appointment yesterday about 70 miles from my home. I made an appt a few weeks ago, and at the time the service advisor told me it would be $275 for oil change, brake inspection and tire rotation. In retrospect I wish I had done this myself, although I figured there would be enough value to justify the price.

So I told him that I didn't need the tire rotation, since my snows are coming off in 2 weeks. He would not lower the price. Against my better instincts I signed the work order. When I picked up the car, I looked at the bill. Total for oil and filter was $77 and labor was $198. There was a sign on the advisor's desk that labor was $159/hour. I asked how long the oil change (and software update) took, and he said about 40 minutes. He would not adjust the price, which would have been about $106 if I was paying by the hour.

Basically, I just paid $300 for an oil change, whereas I could have done it myself for a third of that. Sure, they put the car up on the lift and inspected it but I feel completely ripped off and I will not go back there for service. To add insult to injury, they didn't even wash the car.

When I left the dealership, I called another dealership, just to see how much THEY charge. They get $500 for a 20K service, which includes servicing the serpentine belt. That's even crazier...servicing the belt at 20K???

Before you criticize, no, I didn't have to pay that and yes, I will do the next oil change myself, using the instructions that BossaNova kindly posted here. And yes, nothing is cheap anymore and yes, this is the price of driving a great car.

But boy, do I feel stupid for paying $275 for an oil change. A customer should never feel that way.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Sorry to hear the frustration, my 10k was originally pretty bad (they turned me away at 9940 miles telling me it won't be complimentary until 10,001), and I lived far away. My 20k had logistical issues too, but they were pleasant enough. I went to a third dealer, and they have been excellent, and bargain pricing thus far for 30k and beyond. So moral of the story, shop around if you can! I don't go to a dealership before I get an invoice sent to my email. And another strategy I have is never asking for a "10k/20k/30k" but specific items from the maintenance schedule, so the invoice is broken down piece by piece. Then, everything is spelled out.

I've attached some info on the serpentine belt. For the 2.0 vehicles, it is an easy job (the QV job is a nightmare) and the belt is really quite cheap. Overall, with labor, probably $100-150. Cheap insurance! Though my belt at 30k looked fine, replaced anyway. Highly recommend adhering to the factory maintenance schedule.

I can provide part numbers for any maintenance parts and service manual procedures for those interested.

·
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry to hear the frustration, my 10k was originally pretty bad (they turned me away at 9940 miles telling me it won't be complimentary until 10,001), and I lived far away. My 20k had logistical issues too, but they were pleasant enough. I went to a third dealer, and they have been excellent, and bargain pricing thus far for 30k and beyond. So moral of the story, shop around if you can! I don't go to a dealership before I get an invoice sent to my email. And another strategy I have is never asking for a "10k/20k/30k" but specific items from the maintenance schedule, so the invoice is broken down piece by piece. Then, everything is spelled out.

View attachment 18439

I've attached some info on the serpentine belt. For the 2.0 vehicles, it is an easy job (the QV job is a nightmare) and the belt is really quite cheap. Overall, with labor, probably $100-150. Cheap insurance! Though my belt at 30k looked fine, replaced anyway. Highly recommend adhering to the factory maintenance schedule.

I can provide part numbers for any maintenance parts and service manual procedures for those interested.
Thank you, you're a great resource here!

Reactions: BossaNova

·
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I see what happened with Westbury....they assumed that with 20K miles that I'd had the car two years. I've had my Stelvio for just under a year.

·
Registered
114 Posts
BossaNova, thanks for the heads up. How did you receive this notice to update the entertainment software? It didn't come in on my Alfa Romeo phone app.
FCA -- It's a TSB, totally different to a recall. You get recall info in the app. Recall is something customers are encouraged to get, TSB is basically an internal communication that if customers are complaining about something, there is a known fix. If customers aren't experiencing symptoms listed, they aren't intended to get the repairs outlined in the TSB. But I share it anyway

·
Registered
58 Posts
I just need to vent a bit about my service appointment yesterday about 70 miles from my home. I made an appt a few weeks ago, and at the time the service advisor told me it would be $275 for oil change, brake inspection and tire rotation. In retrospect I wish I had done this myself, although I figured there would be enough value to justify the price.

So I told him that I didn't need the tire rotation, since my snows are coming off in 2 weeks. He would not lower the price. Against my better instincts I signed the work order. When I picked up the car, I looked at the bill. Total for oil and filter was $77 and labor was $198. There was a sign on the advisor's desk that labor was $159/hour. I asked how long the oil change (and software update) took, and he said about 40 minutes. He would not adjust the price, which would have been about $106 if I was paying by the hour.

Basically, I just paid $300 for an oil change, whereas I could have done it myself for a third of that. Sure, they put the car up on the lift and inspected it but I feel completely ripped off and I will not go back there for service. To add insult to injury, they didn't even wash the car.

When I left the dealership, I called another dealership, just to see how much THEY charge. They get $500 for a 20K service, which includes servicing the serpentine belt. That's even crazier...servicing the belt at 20K???

Before you criticize, no, I didn't have to pay that and yes, I will do the next oil change myself, using the instructions that BossaNova kindly posted here. And yes, nothing is cheap anymore and yes, this is the price of driving a great car.

But boy, do I feel stupid for paying $275 for an oil change. A customer should never feel that way.
Please, you should disclose the name of the dealership. Thank You

·
Registered
348 Posts
I think my 20K was like $500. Dealer closed, next nearest is 125 miles. Took the Alfa to my local Dodge dealer, they performed oil/filter and brake fluid for $250

·
Registered
201 Posts
My question to you (and the other members of the forum) is: what does Mercedes, BMW and Audi charge for the same service? These makes are the direct competitors to Alfa. This is my first premium car make, so I don't really know what the others are charging. It's a lot of money, but if that's what the competition is charging, then it's understandable.

·
Registered
542 Posts
My question to you (and the other members of the forum) is: what does Mercedes, BMW and Audi charge for the same service? These makes are the direct competitors to Alfa. This is my first premium car make, so I don't really know what the others are charging. It's a lot of money, but if that's what the competition is charging, then it's understandable.
My Lexus was $125 for full synthetic oil and filter. Acura was about $100. Audi dealers are usually $130 but a lot of them do specials for like $90.

·
Registered
114 Posts
People often want the Maserati/Ferrari service experience, but don't want to pay for Maserati/Ferrari technician labor rates and overhead. Take it to the Fiat dealer, if possible, and pay normal prices. It's ~$70 with the coupon where I go, but they have given it to me for free as a nice gesture to try and retain me as a client.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts