Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried or thought about going just a touch taller and wider? Seems like enough room to gain almost an inch in height and width without spacers or new wheels. Could do all four corners or just rear for a staggered look. Not 285 Quads but, an easy compromise to gain a little better ride and look. Thoughts??

·
Registered
28 Posts
I definitely think it will look better and for all intents and purposes; would probably handle better.. Case in point.. BMW X series or perhaps the Porsche Macan line..

However, that being said.. Would it matter if it's RWD or AWD? Does the change in tire dimension interfere with the handling and perhaps sensors, that would make it throw codes?
It probably wouldn't.. However, I'm just asking cause I was also thinking of upgrading to offset Wheels and Tires once the time came to do so.

I'll subscribe to the thread and look forward to the senior and more knowledgable AR Members to chime in..

Also.. I used this https://tire-calc.com/ site when I upgraded the Wheels and Tires on my Corvette Grand Sport to see the actual differences, side by side..

Good Luck on the tires...

Has anyone tried or thought about going just a touch taller and wider? Seems like enough room to gain almost an inch in height and width without spacers or new wheels. Could do all four corners or just rear for a staggered look. Not 285 Quads but, an easy compromise to gain a little better ride and look. Thoughts??

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually wouldn't work for a stagger an an AWD as the diameter of the 275 is taller than the 255 but a two wheel drive would work, I think.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
As long as you change all 4 it shouldn't be an issue to go slightly larger in terms of sensors. However I would worry about clearance at full turn of the steering wheel...I think with anything wider and taller you will have a clearance issue when the wheel is turned...I'm pretty sure that is why the actual circumference of the 20" wheel/tire combo is slightly smaller than the 18-19' circumference. It is so the tires don't rub the fender when the wheel is turned, since as it is there is VERY little room...

Also, due to how gear ratio's work going to a slightly larger overall circumference will reduce gas mileage and make the car a little slower, additionally any handling gains you get from the additional footprint size is probably going to be lost in the additional unsprung weight. The only real reason for something like that is if the engineers didn't pick the optimal tire of the car so changing the circumference will result in gains...this happens a lot in many cars due to the requirements of trying to be all things to all people resulting in compromises to the overall design. Thing is the engineers of this car didn't compromise much in terms of the handling/driving dynamics....mainly because it is pretty obvious Alfa was not trying to be all things to all people....just all things to drivers.

As far as doing it staggered...you *should* be ok given how the AWD system adapts, however increasing traction at the rear without increasing it at the front could cause some strangeness in how the car behaves under hard cornering by making the car want to push into oversteer which is 180 degree opposite to how the entire vehicle is setup to behave and could cause problems in how controllable it becomes. Could destroy the dynamics. Given how the gear ratios are different at the front and rear axle I'm not sure how the system would juggle traction between the front and rear...the system creates more traction at the front tires when it goes into AWD so making it more rear biased in terms of grip could have some unintended consequences...could make breakaway behavior less predictable, or could cause problems in the center differential when the allowed 2.5% speed difference between the two axles gets exceeded regularly, or exceeded in the wrong ways - ie: the front axles moving faster than the rear, it is setup for the rear to be moving faster...or it could do nothing....no way to know really unless you want to be the guinea pig...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All good points! Think I would crawl under and take some measurement before trying it. I would except a little less milage and performance for a better look and a bit softer ride for the wife when riding shotgun.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Try 275/40/20 for correct OD

Screwing with OD's for looks is a questionable practice at best

·
Registered
73 Posts
Has anyone tried 265/45/20 on their Stelvio? on all 4 wheels as mine is Q4

·
Registered
73 Posts
I might try.... but in a few months as winter is coming :-(

If I find a good deal on any summer 255...265...45/20 tires during the winter I will get them as anyways there is a little chance of getting a few weeks old rubber.

I am thinking 265/45/20 for a little more comfort since the roads around here are not the best.

Hopefully someone will share their experience with 265

p.s: for the winter I have 235/60/18 pirelli

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
people lower them without clearance problems, so I would expect taller rubber to be fine.

and yes, when you improve one thing you compromise another, it's all trade off. but between base and sq there's a fair variance, and some run SQ wheels/tires on base.

although I think there is a visual awkwardness with profiles on the SQ giving the appearances that the fronts are bigger than the back, I'd stay with equal overall circumference front to rear simply because I don't know how changing that could affect all the electronic wizardry. who knows how much leeway, mechanical or electronic, is in the design?

so IF I was to correct the visuals, I'd be going for a set of 21 or 22s on the front only, stock width, so the sidewall would be lower, circumference the same, which would be good for handling but ride would likely suffer a bit .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts