Votes: 1 16.7%
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
'18 TI Lusso AWD
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
call me crazy,
I'm sitting at the Jeep dealer waiting for my Jeep, and staring at a '22 JGC, its tires are 265/50R20s

It only has 13 more HP, but doesn't match the Torque of our Turbos, the tranny is essentially the same, the final drive is the same, (yeah I didn't look at internal ratios, so there could be some differences here) plus it's heavier.

Besides the jump from 29", to 30.4, which would give me .7 more ground clearance, it would also take the same .7 out of the fender gap, and of course, slightly raise the COG, and throw off my speedo a bit (4%)

If one went this way, besides the speedo, would the draw back only be the flex in the taller sidewall? and COG? would this just make it similar to the Jeep? wouldn't it make more comfortable cruising? Yeah, I know it would stay in lower gears longer.

For our track driving folk, is this like going from a 10 to a 7, or like a 10 to a 5? Is the .7 inch COG a noticeable difference on they highway during a lane change? I love how sporty the car is, but I'm not Alonso, so don't know if it would really make a difference. (some 265/45s are just as heavy as some 265/50s)

any comments are appreciated.

PS, I'm sitting near the end of life for my Conties, so I'm thinking about lots of different things to do once I replace them.

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
I don't think the wheel wells can take it, maybe rub at full lock or bad bumps/holes while wheels are turned.

Lose some steering sharpness/response. More body roll too. I think you might notice the steering making lane changes.

Possible componentry
wear issues. My assumption is Alfa is alot like Ferrari..Ferrari's are very reliable, but don't change things. Jeeps aren't like that. I doubt Jeep is using the same AWD stuff.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
I run a 245/50R20 snow up front and that OD increases depending on brand by ~.4-.5in. She runs great this way. I am leary of messing even with a 265/45R20 up front for summer because I don't want to end up with excessive tramlining. The combination of wider and ~1.5 inches taller will probably make the car feel dull, loss of all the things that make it so much fun....the precise turn in for example. Just because they fit, doesn't mean the result will improve anything the "look" in the driveway.... GC is also a much larger vehicle btw. My vote, bad call suggesting a bit of non understanding of suspension systems...you are indeed onto something about weight and that varies from tire to tire....Read other threads. Its a reason I have crossed the ToyoProxes STIII off my list..Those suckers are heavy!
Bad enough doing this stuff on a Quad, on a TiS..NFW!!!!

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
"Bad enough " "just because" - yeah.

I get the visual aspects of bigger tires (and lowering) but don't see either as an improvement performance wise.
Stickier stock sizes give you performance without extra weight or losing responsiveness.

·
Registered
'18 TI Lusso AWD
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I think it would only work rolling straight, the fender liner has ribs, (perhaps for rigidity) and could see those getting hit regularly if the tire was .7 taller, when turning. Plus you'd be very close to the top knuckle of the A arm, which is actually over the inside edge of the tire. (feels like just over an inch in clearance there)

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio Ti Sport Vesuvio Grey
322 Posts
"Bad enough " "just because" - yeah.

I get the visual aspects of bigger tires (and lowering) but don't see either as an improvement performance wise.
Stickier stock sizes give you performance without extra weight or losing responsiveness.
Not sure how much was due to a better tire overall (Michelins) vs. increased sidewall but I can tell you swapping out the stock 255s (Contis) for 265s made a big difference in ride comfort. Likely less of an issue on non-sport suspension but it made a noticeable difference in my case.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts