Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys:

1 week into my Stelvio and, I have to say, it is many, many years since I have been this excited about a new car. Incredible doesn't even begin to explain what a great vehicle this is.

However, in my opinion, there are 3 things that need to change or be added.

Firstly, we MUST have an audible warning if the turn signals are activated when another vehicle is in the blind spot. A rapid flash of the orange light is not enough, especially in the bright sunshine of Florida. I have owned/leased many cars with BSD and they all had the audible warning. Can this be fixed with a software update Alpha??

Secondly, the reversing camera is very poor. It needs better definition but, more importantly, the image needs to be much larger. There is plenty of room on the screen for a larger image.

Lastly, an intermittent setting for the rear window wiper would be nice.

Apart from that, if you are 'on the fence' about buying a Stelvio, you don't know what you are missing.

Well done, Alfa. Brilliant job!!

·
Registered
536 Posts
if it's like my 500x, you can turn the audible warning on in the collision avoidance. My stelvio doesn't have the collision avoidance option so don't know if it's the same.

Hi Guys:

1 week into my Stelvio and, I have to say, it is many, many years since I have been this excited about a new car. Incredible doesn't even begin to explain what a great vehicle this is.

However, in my opinion, there are 3 things that need to change or be added.

Firstly, we MUST have an audible warning if the turn signals are activated when another vehicle is in the blind spot. A rapid flash of the orange light is not enough, especially in the bright sunshine of Florida. I have owned/leased many cars with BSD and they all had the audible warning. Can this be fixed with a software update Alpha??

Secondly, the reversing camera is very poor. It needs better definition but, more importantly, the image needs to be much larger. There is plenty of room on the screen for a larger image.

Lastly, an intermittent setting for the rear window wiper would be nice.

Apart from that, if you are 'on the fence' about buying a Stelvio, you don't know what you are missing.

Well done, Alfa. Brilliant job!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
In the UK, the collision avoidance system or Blind Spot Detection as it is called is only available as part of the Driver Assistance Package Plus pack which bizarrely is only available on the Super specification. It does say in the brochure that is "indication in mirror" but I agree if the Forward Collision Warning warrants a sound then so does the blind spot warning.

I think the lack of Real Time Traffic Information feeding into the Navigation unit (with auto rerouting) and the associated lack of telemetry and phone to car connectivity is a major miss in an vehicle of this class.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The Stelvio I test drove had the blindspot stuff and it wasn't nearly as good as the system in my wife's 2017 Volvo XC60. So I opted to just get a base model with the cold weather package (I was surprised that seat warmers were not standard, and in fact, even in the Northwest where they are basically mandatory, they were somewhat scarce in inventory). And yes the backup camera reminds me of very early examples on economy cars. So I agree that Alfa is behind on some of the more utilitarian aspects. But they are so far ahead on engagement it more than makes up for it. IMO

·
Registered
80 Posts
The Forward Collision Avoidance systems settings do not affect the setting for the Blind Spot Monitor. And agreed, an audible warning is needed; the BSM in my prior Mazda, Nissan and Infiniti all had audio and visual warnings. Though - Alfa is not alone in its execution - I have also had a VW and Porsche with BSM, and they also had visual warnings only - no audible warning.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think this is a great list... except for this first one.. a nice to have but i am not sure it is a "MUST". is it really getting too hard to just turn our heads to see if the lane is clear? My 20's son finds it hard to back into a parking space (or god forbid a parallel park) without a revese camera...where will it end. just my thoughts.

·
Registered
2021 Stelvio Ti Sport
239 Posts
2021 have beep when the turn signal is put on and a car is in the blind spot. Traffic works through TMC, no RTTI.

·
Registered
2020 Stelvio Base RWD
202 Posts
Also, I would suggest increasing the gap, between the A pillar and driver's mirror. When I'm taking a left turn, I don't see the curve, or people crossing the street.
Also, fix the sun visor gap.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Also, I would suggest increasing the gap, between the A pillar and driver's mirror. When I'm taking a left turn, I don't see the curve, or people crossing the street.
Also, fix the sun visor gap.
Quite agree but fix sun visor gap with a piece of black insulation tape. Make sure you fit an AGM battery. The standard is a crap EFB I think.

·
Registered
Misano Blue Giulia Veloce + Alfa Red Stelvio Veloce
3 Posts
Good old first world problems.

It may be different over in the States, where your steering wheel is on the opposite side to over here in England, but all I do is unhook the visor and move it an inch towards me. No more sun glare.

One of the beauties of Italian design is it is quite often 'form over function'. It might not work as well as it could, but at least it looks cool.

·
Registered
219 Posts
If there was only 1 thing that I could ever request for it would be that the rear wiper be on a separate switch/button altogether as every time I bring the vehicle to a wash center they damn rear wiper is always turned on and nobody can ever figure it out.

Reactions: ALFAOFFROAD
1 - 14 of 14 Posts