Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
I looked at the site, and in general ECU re-programming (chips) do work. I had one in my Audi A4 1.8T that increased hp from 170 to 215. I also have a true chip (code is on a circuit board) for my 1987 Porsche 944 Turbo that really increases power, but does make it harder to drive smoothly. I do like the knife-edge response in a Porsche, but would not like it in my Stelvio.

ECU re-programming basically allows higher peak boost, and that can eat into long-term engine life and reliability. I think the reduced reliability is only an issue if you are constantly flooring and redlining your "chipped" engine.

My thoughts are that the Stelvio 2.0 turbo already produces 280 hp vs. 252 for Audi's 2.0 turbo- so in essence Alfa is likely already allowing higher boost than Audi. If I had the Audi Q5, I would definitely get new ECU mapping from APR, who is a long-time Audi/VW ECU mapper.

I am leery of further increasing power on the Stelvio. Audi dealers never said anything to me during maintenance, but I also never had an engine problem.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Found this site online. The claim the chip is plug/play with a 60 HP increase for $209. Seems to good to be true. Anyone have any familiarity or thoughts?

https://www.chipyourcar.com/product/alfa-romeo-performance-chips/
The following is just how I understood the info reading it on their site.

I read the information on their site and the FAQ section. One of the questions, will it void the warranty, the answer was the manufacture can not void your complete warranty on the vehicle as per some of our laws. It does not say the manufacture can not void any parts that could/were damaged because of the change.

To me, that means if something went wrong with any drive train part; engine, trans, drive, axles, anything along those lines; you could very well be on your own. To me, those would be the most expensive parts to fix. Now, that is my opinion, so when you read the info on their site, you may see it differently.

·
Registered
534 Posts
It's tempting but going into this I figure of all the cars I've owned over the past years this one will be most likely to use it's warranty. I don't think i'm going to mess with anything to jeopardize it.

Reactions: Marc0209

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought I read the chip could be removed and the ECU would automatically flash back to factory settings?

·
Registered
534 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bought the stage 3 chip today. Wish me luck.... I will report back.

·
Registered
536 Posts
if you use this chip I would think at least in the US if you had ANY engine issues whatsoever, warranty wouldn't be honored.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Performance Chip

The manufacturer swears when the module is unplugged the Engine will revert to factory. Are you suggesting the diagnostic record will document the chip installation? Even then you typically can wipe the ECU through a battery disconnect procedure of some sort.

Guess I'm living on the edge

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was browsing Mercedes website and the GLA45 AMG produces 375 HP from a 2.0T. Seems like there is some room with the Alfa and a chip

·
Registered
241 Posts
The manufacturer swears when the module is unplugged the Engine will revert to factory. Are you suggesting the diagnostic record will document the chip installation? Even then you typically can wipe the ECU through a battery disconnect procedure of some sort.

Good luck. You are likely fine if the module works as the manufacturer represents. If it does work (more power) you'll know for sure. I love your guts!!!

·
Registered
241 Posts
I was browsing Mercedes website and the GLA45 AMG produces 375 HP from a 2.0T. Seems like there is some room with the Alfa and a chip
Should be room for more power, especially if you are not constantly flooring it. But manufacturers differ greatly in how strong internals are. My 944 Turbo engine has lots of factory upgraded parts vs. the normally aspirated 944 engine. If the GLA45 AMG does produce 375 hp, Mercedes may have fitted stronger connecting rods and pistons- and other upgraded internals.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Correct me if I’m wrong. How can a chip make changes only when it's plugged in via he obd without flashing the ecu. It would have to flash the ecu for the tune to change.
Which leads me to my second question, how does it de-flash the tune when unplugged?
Seems fishy...

MAXPower doesn’t flash the ecu and acts more like a piggyback and it doesn’t connect to the obd, so it makes sense if you take it out it reverts back to factory settings.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Correct me if I’m wrong. How can a chip make changes only when it's plugged in via he obd without flashing the ecu. It would have to flash the ecu for the tune to change.
Which leads me to my second question, how does it de-flash the tune when unplugged?
Seems fishy...

MAXPower doesn’t flash the ecu and acts more like a piggyback and it doesn’t connect to the obd, so it makes sense if you take it out it reverts back to factory settings.
My guess is that 'it depends'. On motorcycles, one common approach is to insert an electronic device between the ECU and the injectors. The electronic device can then be programmed to adjust the fuel mixture at various throttle openings and RPMs. It is very effective, I have it on several of my motorcycles and it is virtually a requirement if you make any sort of modifications to the engine, intake and / or exhaust systems.

Lately, some motorcycles have 'sealed' ECUs where changes cannot be made, so this approach is the only viable option for modifying the fuel injection metering. Other models allow modifications to the ECU via a relatively inexpensive tool called ECUTune.

WD.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts

I've read Ford's service advisor checklist procedure for determining if an aftermarket mod voids the warranty, and two of the things they mention is to check the ECU last reset timestamp, and the ECU reset counter, to look for evidence that someone has been flashing or modifying the ECU. Every time the ECU is flashed, modified, reset, or the logs and history cleared, it records that event in semi permeant memory which cannot be hidden, bypassed or altered without disassembling the ECU electronic chip by chip to reprogram them all individually.

For example, you bring your car in with a turbo failure or blown intake manifold gasket, the tech wants to look for evidence you were running modified software to allow higher boost pressure. He plugs in and confirms that your ECU is running all the stock settings, but it was just re-flashed 2 hours ago... Alternatively he finds it was last reflashed 6 months ago, but it's been reflashed 35 times since it left the factory....

Also lets not forget these cars have EDR's (Event Data Recorder) in them too, which are like aircraft "black boxes" designed to record hundreds of parameters of data about the vehicle in the moments leading up to a crash, and be strong enough to ensure that data survives said crash. It's entirely possible the EDR could also be designed to independently log things like ECU resets / flashes, and engine parameters outside normal design specs, like boost pressure more than X% above specified design maximum 22 PSI.

Now do I think these engines can handle another 60hp peak, and could a chip deliver another 60hp peak from these engines? Yeah, probably, though I'd be far more believing at 20-30hp. Will you have problems from running it which would cause warranty issues to be concerned with, possible but unlikely, at least in the next 10-20k miles.

What does concern me is the risk of worsening carbon deposits from the modification. Direct Injection engines are already known to suffer compression and power loss problems from carbon buildup on the intake valves not present in regular manifold and port injection engines since they don't get the benefit of the wet fuel to wash the carbon deposits off the intake valves into the combustion chamber to exit with the exhaust. It is this reason some people suggest that direct injection engines last longer from harder driving styles and somewhat regular WOT pulls to redline to try to knock buildup off the valves which can accumulate under low load and low rpm operation.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
60+ HP Chip

Thanks SailDrive....this was my fear....digital breadcrumbs with the ECU. Since this chip must be identical with the Giulia, I am researching if there have been any reliability issues...but even with the Giulia it may be too early to tell what the consequences are at 60 - 70K+ miles.

·
Registered
381 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Does anyone have any experience with Madness ECU tuning and flash ? I am thinking of getting either one to get few more ponies out of that engine, their website seems geared towards Alfa Romeo performance, advertising about 20 percent HP increase with piggyback ECU chip or flash thru OBD connector

thanks

1 - 20 of 42 Posts