Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Stelvio Veloce
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to make sure that there was no software needed to pair the battery with the car. I searched but couldn't find anything specific. I'm guessing no special tools but want to make sure I don't brick the car.

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio Sport Q4 Nor-Cal PRK
285 Posts
@ventogt

No special tools required nor is there a "pairing" procedure as there is on some other brands.

I remember correctly, you'll need a 10mm socket with a extension & ratchet for the battery hold down bolt, and 10mm open end wrench for the battery posts.

BUT - It's nice to have Multiecuscan (commonly called MES) software to instantly kill the "Christmas tree lights" you'll get right after the installation.

MES also pays for itself in that it COMPLETELY re-sets the Instrument Cluster change oil message as well as the Infotainment Oil Change day/mile countdown.

LINK: Multiecuscan - Diagnostics software for Italian cars

Most of the warning lights are extinguished by alternately turning the steering wheel L/R lock-to-lock, as soon as you start the car after battery installation.

Apparently there will be a few warning lights left over that should/will extinguish after a short drive.

HTH and let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
2022 Stelvio Veloce
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@DrGP totally. One would think after all of these failures going back to 2018, they'd have changed battery suppliers by now. But nope, saw VARTA in the trunk and knew exactly what the issue was gonna be when it did not start

·
Registered
‘22 Stelvio QV
241 Posts
@ventogt
BUT - It's nice to have Multiecuscan (commonly called MES) software to instantly kill the "Christmas tree lights" you'll get right after the installation.

MES also pays for itself in that it COMPLETELY re-sets the Instrument Cluster change oil message as well as the Infotainment Oil Change day/mile countdown.

LINK: Multiecuscan - Diagnostics software for Italian cars
New to Alfas so sorry if this question has been asked, I assume to use MES one must install the dreaded SGW bypass?

·
Registered
845 Posts
New to Alfas so sorry if this question has been asked, I assume to use MES one must install the dreaded SGW bypass?
For cars after approx beginning 2018, yes.
You can always read errors etc with MES via OBD, however, if you have the SGW, you cannot write/reset via OBD

·
Registered
771 Posts
@DrGP totally. One would think after all of these failures going back to 2018, they'd have changed battery suppliers by now. But nope, saw VARTA in the trunk and knew exactly what the issue was gonna be when it did not start
Maybe Stellantis hasn’t heard yet that the vast majority of the issues with the Giorgio platform cars are from the battery and charging software. 🙂

Yup that must be it because what manufacturer wouldn’t want to address the biggest problem, which requires no engineering prowess to solve? I am guessing as well that a software engineer could add a few amps to the charge cycle pretty quickly.

·
Registered
272 Posts
This batteries are kinda unpredictable, my battery is the original one with more than 4 years and 38K miles in the car and still it is like new.

Maybe because I don’t use the AS function never ever?…. Yup, I now I am being irresponsible towards “Mother Earth” but I just can not stand it.

I think it’s a safety hazard actually,
In the other car a Macan S has the original one from 2015 and 60000 miles and it’s still the original. I don’t know if it’s another Varta.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts