Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
61 - 63 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Stelvio TI Sport
27 Posts
I just got my Stelvio back from an oil change and warranty work. I had the base model Ford Mustang with the 2.3T Ecoboost engine as a loaner setup by Alfa through Enterprise so I have a very good comparison after driving them back to back.

The Mustang has absolutely zero lag off the line. None. After turning the Mustang in and driving home in the Stelvio, the off the line lag was even more apparent. I have absolutely zero doubt it is in the Stelvio's TCU programming and has nothing to do with turbo lag. This is easily verifiable as when you floor the gas pedal from a dead stop their is a programmed delay; i.e. the rpms and the speedometer do not register at all for about 1 second. Try it (in a safe environment of course). Keep your eyes locked on the display; you will not see any response from the tachometer or speedometer for a second or so (I have not actually timed it, so "1 second" is just my best estimate).

As others have mentioned, the only way around this delay is to brake boost or to modulate the throttle, where you do not request full power and then the TCU does not appear to induce as much delay.
I could be wrong, but I believe turbo size makes a difference in lag. I don't know the comparison between the Stelvio turbo and Mustang turbo and I'm too busy/lazy to look it up right now. Just wondering if that could also be a factor?

·
Registered
91 Posts
my dd is an F150 with the 3.5 ecoboost and it has zero lag even without putting it in sport mode. Maybe it is to save components as Alfa Offroad said that seems plausible. My own thinking is the data bus, memory or microprocessor just cant handle all the info coming into it in a timely manner. All the electronics are kind of laggy in this car. When you power brake (thats what we called it back in the 70s) it gives the computer time to catch up. Its not a drag car anyway i bought it cause it handles amazing and is fun. If i wanted a 0-60 monster id have bought a Hellcat.

61 - 63 of 63 Posts