Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2018 Stelvio Ti Sport that I purchased in May of 2019.

My brake sensor light recently came on "service brake pads". I took my vehicle into my local Alfa Romeo dealership's service center and was told the following.

My front brake pads were at 5mm and the rear at 3mm. ALL 4 rotors had irregular wear on the edges. What they called a lip around the exterior edges of the rotors (all 4 of them). I was told that 99.9% of the time (Alfa Romeo) brake pad replacements are done the rotors are also replaced which seems ridiculous unless the rotors are actually damaged and need to be replaced. I do understand, that mine are in a state of needing to be replaced but why?? How is it possible to have such horrible wear on these rotors and brake pads that are less than 2 years old? Is the quality of the products used in these vehicles that crappy? The
SA said the lip on my rotors is causing the incredibly noisy braking and causing the brake sensor to come on and off all of the time.

Best of all, the service advisor FAILED to let me know of the status of my brakes from my previous visit, which was a short 2 months previously. The recent SA told me the brakes were marked in yellow status on my previous visit's inspection and they should have let me know. Instead I've been blind sided.

I still have the manufacture warranty as well as the extended warranty on this vehicle. Should the warranty be covering such irregular deterioration of their products?

I of course was quoted an ARM & a LEG for this brake & rotor job.
$900+ for the front and $700+ for the rear. (location: Utah)

Does anyone else have experience with needing to replace their brakes on such a new vehicle? Any success in finding better pricing taking the vehicle elsewhere?

Quite disappointing.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Long time Subaru Impreza driver here. Every tire change even with “50k” tires was done sub 30k on them and I needed new rotors every 25k.

My WRX was a guaranteed $5000 every 30k for tires and full brake job. Some cars just eat consumables.

·
Registered
207 Posts

My brake sensor light recently came on "service brake pads". I took my vehicle into my local Alfa Romeo dealership's service center and was told the following.

My front brake pads were at 5mm and the rear at 3mm. ALL 4 rotors had irregular wear on the edges. What they called a lip around the exterior edges of the rotors (all 4 of them). I was told that 99.9% of the time (Alfa Romeo) brake pad replacements are done the rotors are also replaced which seems ridiculous unless the rotors are actually damaged and need to be replaced. I do understand, that mine are in a state of needing to be replaced but why?? How is it possible to have such horrible wear on these rotors and brake pads that are less than 2 years old? Is the quality of the products used in these vehicles that crappy? The
SA said the lip on my rotors is causing the incredibly noisy braking and causing the brake sensor to come on and off all of the time.

Best of all, the service advisor FAILED to let me know of the status of my brakes from my previous visit, which was a short 2 months previously. The recent SA told me the brakes were marked in yellow status on my previous visit's inspection and they should have let me know. Instead I've been blind sided.

I still have the manufacture warranty as well as the extended warranty on this vehicle. Should the warranty be covering such irregular deterioration of their products?

Does anyone else have experience with needing to replace their brakes on such a new vehicle? Any success in finding better pricing taking the vehicle elsewhere?

Quite disappointing.
Oh boy . . . Another brake thread ?‍♂.
First: the brake noise is (more than likely) due to the cold weather. Mine squeal like a pig when they’re cold. I’m not positive, but your brakes may be down to the “squealer bar”, if there is one (the brake pad companies place a little metal arm that makes a squealing noise when it rides on the rotor). The squealing is most likely NOT from any lip on your rotor.
Second: I will probably differ with many people in this forum here, but if you’re not getting any vibration during braking, and your discs aren’t all galled up, I wouldn’t replace them. How many miles are on your car? If under 30,000 and no vibration, I’d leave them.
Third: I simply cannot believe what shops charge for brakes. It is SO EASY to do by yourself (or find a friend that is handy with cars). Literally, I could do all pads on this car in under 2 hours, and that’s being generous. PLUS you can get pads from Rock Auto for well under $100 (yes, all of them).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the response. It was the SA that told me the lips around the edges of the rotors is what is causing the squeaks and for the sensor to misfire essentially. The brake pads are not completely depleted.

The car does have about 30k miles on it, however zero other issues besides occasional squeaking and now the brake sensor light.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Oh boy . . . Another brake thread ?‍♂.
First: the brake noise is (more than likely) due to the cold weather. Mine squeal like a pig when they’re cold. I’m not positive, but your brakes may be down to the “squealer bar”, if there is one (the brake pad companies place a little metal arm that makes a squealing noise when it rides on the rotor). The squealing is most likely NOT from any lip on your rotor.
Second: I will probably differ with many people in this forum here, but if you’re not getting any vibration during braking, and your discs aren’t all galled up, I wouldn’t replace them. How many miles are on your car? If under 30,000 and no vibration, I’d leave them.
Third: I simply cannot believe what shops charge for brakes. It is SO EASY to do by yourself (or find a friend that is handy with cars). Literally, I could do all pads on this car in under 2 hours, and that’s being generous. PLUS you can get pads from Rock Auto for well under $100 (yes, all of them).
Thanks for the response. It was the SA that told me the lips around the edges of the rotors is what is causing the squeaks and for the sensor to misfire essentially. The brake pads are not completely depleted.

The car does have about 30k miles on it, however zero other issues besides occasional squeaking and now the brake sensor light.

rotors on Rock Auto for the 2.0 Stelvio (2018).

You probably just need pads. They were about $30 to $40 for a pair.
Literally for a 6-pack of beer I’d do these for you and you’d be out less than $500 for SURE (pads AND rotors front and back). Too bad I live in Wisco!

·
Registered
123 Posts
You can see the brake thread I started for more details, but I just did mine at 24k miles.

Getting them done at the dealership is very expensive, but the price they quoted you is actually less than other dealerships. But I decided to do them myself, they are really pretty easy if you have the tools.

I wanted to go with OEM pads so I ordered some from Eurocompulsion.com. But I got my rotors from R1 Concepts for way less than Alfa rotors.

I'd also say, if there is enough material on them there is absolutely nothing wrong with getting them turned on a lathe.

Saying they replace rotors every time they do pads is kind of absurd. In my experience it's about every other pad replacement. I'd only did mine because they were warped pretty badly.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Links...

Rotors:

Pads:

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
If there is a lip, at least remove the rotors and get them measueed (most auto parts stores will do it for you, if you bring them the rotors) to be sure they meet spec. You dont want them too thin.

I agree, they SHOULD be fine, however best to be positive with brakes.

Otherwise, do them yourself or go to an independent shop. Either way will save some cash. Unfortunatly at 30k brake replacment is wear not warranty, as for the rotors, again SHOULD be fine however there are lots of variables and it is possiblethey need to be replaced also. Again have them measured to be sure

·
Registered
123 Posts
I agree with ALFAOFFROAD about getting them done at a good independent shop if you don't do them yourself.

However, if you do and decide to order parts yourself, make sure to call ahead before ordering to make sure they will do it. Many shops will not install customer supplied equipment because of guarantee/warranty policies.

·
Registered
2019 Stelvio Quad CCB
178 Posts
The SA, not unlike the finance guy at dealerships get paid to figure out how stupid you (the customer) are.

$1600.00? All in the name of safety! You, your family and even the other drivers around you!!

Who can argue with that?

Have someone put new pads in it and run it!

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
When I see premature pad wear it says too many things about driving style
1. Either you live in stop and go traffic and need to escape that lifestyle before it kills you
or,
2. esp if rear wear occurs first, you are causing the TC system to constantly correct your overly ambitious driving techniques. This also means you probably think it is faster to drive in D mode all the time etc which also means you are probably a pedal stabber due to the hyperactivity that mode causes. Basic automotive forensics at work here. I know we have our D mode lovers here but....I only use it when I am being blatantly aggressive. Rest of the time the pedal feel is artifically hyper even with my tune that did NOT intensify the pedal feel any further than stock.

·
Registered
20 Posts

Quite disappointing.
The dealer in Utah also sells Ferrari, and Maseratis I also live in Utah, they’re very expensive even on the oil change try another dealer like Las Vegas they’re very more competitive, I would think a foreign auto shop ( independent ) that works on Porsche or BMWs would be able To do work just fine for half the cost when your car is off Warranty.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
"esp if rear wear occurs first, you are causing the TC system to constantly correct your overly "
I'd go along with this as a possible, but seeing as the nannies kick in earlier in A & N than D, I only go along with the part I quoted. all the rest is a leap of ....... OK we get it, you drive right, everyone else drives wrong.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I drive in D mode most of the time ?

Reactions: lost1750GTV

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Apparently correct as I don't wear out brakes prematurely

1 - 20 of 43 Posts