Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

Long story short:

My last 3 cars have been Jeep Grand Cherokees. My current lease ends in 3-4 months though, and since the Grand Cherokee is a carryover until 2020, I would essentially be offered the exact same car I have right now (2015).

So, I figure now is the time to try something new and different, while I am still (relatively) young, and do not have kids yet. I really like the Stelvio, while still recognizing its shortcomings that I read about over and over. I have test drove it 3 times, but I really don't think that awkward 10 minute ride with the salesperson in the backseat does much to grasp how I would feel when I am in the “zone”.

I know the majority of AR owners are ‘Driving Enthusiasts’ but I still, as of moment, consider myself a 'Jeep Guy'. So, I am curious to hear what you guys say about a few of my concerns. Please keep in mind if I did get a Stelvio I would get it fully loaded.

Questions:

- In the last 6 years, I have maybe had 1 flat tire (though I don’t even recall, so maybe none)…I consider this a luxury of having a nice big SUV. This current Grand Cherokee even has stock 20 inch wheels. Do you think I can still expect this with the Stelvio, or are my at a much higher risk of a flat tire due to the smaller tires? Given the fact that the 19’’ wheels are arguably just as good looking as the 20’’s, would that help reduce the likelihood of flat tired?

- On a similar note, if I am parallel parking or accidently go over a curb, will this be devastating for the car, or will it be closer to the Jeep where I can laugh about it and consider it a joy of having an SUV? I am not looking to off-road or anything like that…just everyday driving we all experience.

- I love listening to my Hip Hop music nice and loud (don’t judge!)…so the premium system is a must. In my mind, the one I have in the Jeep GC Limited does the job very well, and the bass is awesome. I hear people say the Stelvio Upgraded system is “just ok.” But do you know if that is ranking it in general, or just against the best of the best? I would think it would be similar to the Jeep GC, they are both HK after all.

- Final thing: I have been known to eat while I drive, get in the car (sweaty) right after the gym, and put big UPS boxes in the backseat that could be dusty..ohh we also have a family Mini Goldendoodle who I sometimes hangout with!…Right now I have black leather, but my fiancé really wants me to get RED, and I actually like the Chocolate…is there any reason to think that these two alternatives to black would somehow get ruined by the fact that I don’t treat my car like a palace?

Well that is all for now! I know this is a lot, but based on how much I read from the community, you guys are so passionate, so I won’t be surprised when I get a lot of responses! I am pumped for the idea of the Stelvio, and can’t think of any other alternatives to the Jeep that excite me, other than a newly designed Grand Cherokee, which of course won’t exist:

Explorer? Lame! 4 Runner? Lame! RR Evoque, BMW X3, Audi Q5? No thanks, I’m not trying to fit in with the crowd… I just want to make sure it is the right choice for me as I do consider my time in the driver seat as “ME TIME.” But I value Luxury and Comfort before Sport. But hopefully I will be convinced that this car has all 3, and that is the best of ALL worlds.

Thanks
Todd

·
Registered
45 Posts
Frankly, I doubt that you would enjoy the Stelvio.

With your emphasis on luxury and comfort, the Stelvio's ride, and possibly the handling, is bound to disappoint you. Likewise the sound system.

Stelvios really are not SUVs. As a magazine recently pointed out, they are tall Giulia stationwagons. Much more sporty than really anything else in the socalled SUV segment except the Porsche Macan.

If you are primarily looking for luxury, comfort and something different "to stand apart from the crowd" perhaps you should look at Volvos?

Much as I would like to see Alfa succeed in the US market, getting people with unrealistic expectations into the cars will hurt the brand's reputation.

OK, I'm ready to be flamed by the community ;-)

·
Registered
250 Posts
Frankly, I doubt that you would enjoy the Stelvio.

With your emphasis on luxury and comfort, the Stelvio's ride, and possibly the handling, is bound to disappoint you. Likewise the sound system.

Stelvios really are not SUVs. As a magazine recently pointed out, they are tall Giulia stationwagons. Much more sporty than really anything else in the socalled SUV segment except the Porsche Macan.

If you are primarily looking for luxury, comfort and something different "to stand apart from the crowd" perhaps you should look at Volvos?

Much as I would like to see Alfa succeed in the US market, getting people with unrealistic expectations into the cars will hurt the brand's reputation.

OK, I'm ready to be flamed by the community ;-)
I find the Stelvio to be very comfortable, that's me....
Luxury yes, chocolate interior YES YES. I wouldn't worry about the color interior with all of your "dirt" LOL, knowing that's what will happen in your car I would recommend cleaning the leather regardless, just because its black does not mean it not dirty YUCK :big-grin

·
Registered
478 Posts
Test drove a loaded to the gills Grand Cherokee before ordering my Stelvio. If you like how the Alfa’s American sibling drives you won’t like the Stelvio. It has 45 profile tires, you’ll curb rash those before it climbs for one thing. I personally found the Grand Cherokee to have a soft ride. It did have fairly good acceleration, in the neighborhood with other fast (non performance) SUVs like the Lexus RX and Infiniti QX60. It’s possible the Lusso Ti might have the right ride and comfort for you if you can manage to get a drive in one. The sport suspension does make a difference.

The Stelvio is a tall Giulia long roof. It’s categorized as a SUV for CAFE standards only.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I think I'd have to agree with the other posts, it's different enough from GC that I'd be concerned about it not meeting your wants.

The upgraded HK system really can't be compared to other high end systems. Mid range systems like the 12 speaker Bose in my Madza have better clarity, imaging, bass and volume in my opinion.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I traded in a 2014 4Runner on my TI Sport. The Stelvio is MUCH more luxurious, without question.

·
Premium Member
2018 Stelvio Base 20" yellow calipers
1,504 Posts
We just came out of my beloved 2008 GJC Overland 5.7L into the Stelvio (November 2017) @190K trouble free miles. I was a little nervous about it but we wanted better fuel mileage, to downsize a bit, and more of a comfort vehicle. I always assumed it'd be another GC but honestly couldn't get comfortable in the newer generation-- you sort of have to climb up and in and the seat position didn't work for me. I hated to admit it... our search led to XC60 (wife loved the chocolate interior and 'luxury') and I couldn't find a good argument NOT to do that-- Until we found Stelvio and it is the ideal compromise for our family of 3-- we are raising a 18 year old granddaughter with special needs so the nest is not quite empty.

I was honestly glad to stay in the FCA family and appreciate the passion and elegant engineering and what they are trying to do here-- Marchionne is a wizard. This platform IS THE NEXT Grand Cherokee platform anyway if that makes you feel any better and the ZF 8 speed trans is used in Hellcat/SRT/Jeep applications now so the drivetrain is rugged enough.

Obviously any vehicle you have to live with is a personal decision and in every choice there is a compromise of some sort. It's also a big commitment. Most of it has to do with how you use the vehicle and what your priorities are.

My concerns were losing the 'utility', power, Low Range, Diff lock, tow ability (yard waste, the occasional U-Haul) and rugged durability of the Jeep. I pulled a few shrubs, stumps, and a fence post in Low Range over the years; used Diff lock in severe weather and one time off road but basically it was our family hauler and main transportation and bullet proof all-weather ride. When weather was bad-- we went OUT, often with my in-laws in the back seat!

The ultimate test (for me) was yesterday when I plowed our Stelvio up our long, steel driveway with a jug handle at the top-- reason we NEEDED 4X4/AWD-- through 12+ inches of wet snow without a hiccup or hesitation.

Anyway to try to address your concerns:

-- Flat Tire: I always carry a tire pump and it got me enough air to get to a service station. Honestly the older I get the less likely I can see myself changing a tire except under the most dire circumstances. Really. We chose the 20" because the problem with run flats is an expensive replacement after they go flat (I was told the circle wheels 19" are all run flats). 20's I figure I can shop anywhere when it's time to replace them.

-- Curb Rash: I know exactly what you mean the confidence you can U-turn or drive over anything in a Jeep-- This is definitely a small compromise but there is plenty of ground clearance with the Stelvio. Either way curb rash is a thing. There are tons of Jeeps out there to buy used replacements vs. only a few Stelvios. Not a worry to me however.

-- Sound System: For me (talk radio, some music, XM/Sirius) I don't miss the Boston Acoustics in the JGC and the one thing we didn't get was the HK upgrade. The audiophiles have lots to say about it on other threads so we'll leave it up to them except for this: I have turned it OFF more in this car than any other to enjoy the sound of the engine. Honestly!

-- Interior: This is a premium leather interior and seems to be better than most- we are happy with the Chocolate color and I would have done red no problem. Just don't eat in MY car you sweat hog. It will be fine.

I can only speak for myself- and a little for my wife- we gained more than we gave up; the space is more than adequate. Comfort, handling, fuel economy, space versatility, luxury, AWD performance, etc. are excellent-- we will be adding a hitch and roof bars as soon as they are available. You will get an EXCELLENT lease and it is a superb value. Great safety rating (Europe so far) and safety features. Still a nice, high perch.

Hope this helps. I will PM my phone number if you want to talk in person. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Driving with the sales guy in the car you certainly haven't yet had a feel for what makes the Stelvio, an Alfa Romeo. What makes it an Alfa is that when you put in in Dynamic (lets be honest, most of us probably leave it there all the time), and wrap your fingers around those big beautiful paddle shifters and shift into manual mode, engine growling and snarling at 4500rpm, turbo pumping it's heart out at 22PSI, all 280 horsepower unleashed pressing your head back into the supple leather of the sport seats headrest, while also powering out of a sharp corner pulling 0.8+ on the lateral G meter on the dashboard, feeling the big firm bolsters holding you firmly and comfortably in place in your seat. You're doing it all with a MASSIVE grin on your face, and wondering just how much more can she take because you know that wasn't the limit yet.

That's the Stelvio.

If you're going use it as a cargo hauler, mud friendly vehicle, bounding over rocks or thoughtlessly through potholes, and you're more worried about how good the bass sounds on the music, the Stelvio isn't the vehicle for you.

my previous vehicle was a RR Evoque with the Meridian sound system. It's pretty close to the best of the best. the HK system is terrible by comparison, but relative to other vehicles on the road, it's ok. It's not great, it's not terrible (at least not since we've figured out how to adjust the EQ to make it sound halfway decent). It drove over most anything, never worried about mud, flooded roads, or potholes. Washed it a few times a year. The Stelvio is NOT like the Evoque, despite the fact many people on here are prior Evoque owners, I suspect what we all have in common is that we desired better performance than the Evoque could deliver, and looked at the price of a Macan as a reason to avoid, which is what got me to consider and test drive the Stelvio. Once I did, driving home in my Evoque just felt boring and unimpressive, My mind was made up...

Lastly, if you're going to put anything less than completely clean on the leather, don't get red. And if you're going to eat in the car, black is probably the safest choice.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Oh, with regard to eating in the car.....strictly forbidden. My wife an I have stuck with that to date...I know kind of AR (the other AR).

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio/Black/Ti Sport
364 Posts
Todd,

Alfa = racing...

Jeep = partying...

·
Registered
6 Posts
I traded my Jeep TrackHawk for the Quad yesterday! I am in love with the Alfa, don't get me wrong the TH was a beast (in a straight line) but this Alfa's handling and "fun to drive" characteristics have the Jeep beat. Hands Down!!

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
other than fast, the TH and SQ are very different beasts.
that was a pretty short, but I'll bet entertaining, stint with the jeep.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi all, new to the forum, but have had many Alfa's through the years.. Spiders, GTV's, Alfettas, 164, 164 S, Milano and Milano Verde. I currently own a Giulia Quadrifoglio and my wife drives a Giulia TI Sport Q4. I am considering trading my Jeep Rubicon for a Stelvio QV, (not trying to hijack this post, just the OP mentioned a Jeep) I purchased the Rubicon a year ago and have only put 2,200 miles... I was wondering if anyone has had experience with the Stelvio QV in deeper snow, like 12 inches or so? Is it capable? I don't go off road, just concerned with the snow here in Colorado. It's got more ground clearance than the Giulia Q4, but much more power along with much wider tires..

Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Jeep to Stelvio

Hello Everyone,

Long story short:

My last 3 cars have been Jeep Grand Cherokees. My current lease ends in 3-4 months though, and since the Grand Cherokee is a carryover until 2020, I would essentially be offered the exact same car I have right now (2015).

So, I figure now is the time to try something new and different, while I am still (relatively) young, and do not have kids yet. I really like the Stelvio, while still recognizing its shortcomings that I read about over and over. I have test drove it 3 times, but I really don't think that awkward 10 minute ride with the salesperson in the backseat does much to grasp how I would feel when I am in the “zone”.

I know the majority of AR owners are ‘Driving Enthusiasts’ but I still, as of moment, consider myself a 'Jeep Guy'. So, I am curious to hear what you guys say about a few of my concerns. Please keep in mind if I did get a Stelvio I would get it fully loaded.

Questions:

- In the last 6 years, I have maybe had 1 flat tire (though I don’t even recall, so maybe none)…I consider this a luxury of having a nice big SUV. This current Grand Cherokee even has stock 20 inch wheels. Do you think I can still expect this with the Stelvio, or are my at a much higher risk of a flat tire due to the smaller tires? Given the fact that the 19’’ wheels are arguably just as good looking as the 20’’s, would that help reduce the likelihood of flat tired?

- On a similar note, if I am parallel parking or accidently go over a curb, will this be devastating for the car, or will it be closer to the Jeep where I can laugh about it and consider it a joy of having an SUV? I am not looking to off-road or anything like that…just everyday driving we all experience.

- I love listening to my Hip Hop music nice and loud (don’t judge!)…so the premium system is a must. In my mind, the one I have in the Jeep GC Limited does the job very well, and the bass is awesome. I hear people say the Stelvio Upgraded system is “just ok.” But do you know if that is ranking it in general, or just against the best of the best? I would think it would be similar to the Jeep GC, they are both HK after all.

- Final thing: I have been known to eat while I drive, get in the car (sweaty) right after the gym, and put big UPS boxes in the backseat that could be dusty..ohh we also have a family Mini Goldendoodle who I sometimes hangout with!…Right now I have black leather, but my fiancé really wants me to get RED, and I actually like the Chocolate…is there any reason to think that these two alternatives to black would somehow get ruined by the fact that I don’t treat my car like a palace?

Well that is all for now! I know this is a lot, but based on how much I read from the community, you guys are so passionate, so I won’t be surprised when I get a lot of responses! I am pumped for the idea of the Stelvio, and can’t think of any other alternatives to the Jeep that excite me, other than a newly designed Grand Cherokee, which of course won’t exist:

Explorer? Lame! 4 Runner? Lame! RR Evoque, BMW X3, Audi Q5? No thanks, I’m not trying to fit in with the crowd… I just want to make sure it is the right choice for me as I do consider my time in the driver seat as “ME TIME.” But I value Luxury and Comfort before Sport. But hopefully I will be convinced that this car has all 3, and that is the best of ALL worlds.

Thanks
Todd

I traded in my Jeep Cherokee for a Stelvio. But my Jeep was older. Here are my thoughts

1) . turning with out fear of curb rash - jeep
2) . Stereo system - Stelvio - get the equalizer set up and it is pretty darn good. Tesla is better and I am sure you can find others that are better as well. Bass is pretty good - but you can always after market the sub.
3) Mudding/Snow - Stelvio
4) . Pullling/hauling - Jeep
5) Handling - Stelvio
6) . Flat Tires - Jeep - Stelvio compact spare is just ok
7) . Seats - Stevlio (I have Chocolate . Dogs in back - easy to keep clean so far. Fingers crossed
8) Turning in General - Jeep tighter radius, Stevlio better feel and control

Fun - depends - Stelvio more fun to drive day to day and on long trips.

Jeep - more fun to offroad - great ground clearance.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts