Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Stelvio
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed today that my back, driver side rim has 14 outer weights compared to the 5 on my other rim. This seems odd but I don't think my tires feel unbalanced. Any thoughts on how to check this? I don't want to bother making a trip to the dealer just to ask.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle

·
Registered
83 Posts
14 weights is a lot. However, in balancing a tire, it could be the wheel/tire or both that need the weight. You ever wonder what those red and yellow dots are on your tires. These dots denote the heaviest and lightest spots on the tire. A good installer will do their best to align the valve stem with one of these spots. In reality, many installers are too lazy to do that and will just add weights where the balancer says to add them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
That is excessive, I just delt with the same thing this week. I had 9 oz on outside, the tire needs broken down and spun 180° and rebalanced, if this doesn't help, the massive amount of weight needs cut in half and installed side by side, not in a one 8" strip but two four inch strips. The valence point is an exact spot not a 8" area. Piss poor work.

·
Registered
2021 Stelvio
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quick update on this. I went to Discount Tire to have the wheels checked. They removed a bunch of weights from each tire and swapped them all out to black. With that said, the same one wheel just needs a lot of weights compared to the others. Guess it was a manufacturer inconsistency. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
10 Posts
No just break the bead and spin the tire 180 on the rim, reinflate, rebalance. You just moved the heavy spot to opposite side of the rim. This will help 90% of the time, if it doesn't it means the tire was manufactured with a heavy spot in it. If you then have access to a different tire it will 100% balance out differently, confirming the defect tire. A passenger car should never call for a large amount of weight on one side, (8 oz +), not to mention a performance tire.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Typically, the heaviest part of the wheels is where the valve stem is installed, You want the lightest part of the tire there to offset the weight of the valve stem. Tires are not perfect and have some spots that are heavier than other spots. On new tires, you will see red and yellow dots.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Doesn't mean crap. Tires are manufactured all over the world now, many third world countries, quality is of no concern now which is why they had the tire tax awhile back. I'm tapping out on this conversation. Good luck to all

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Its OK to not have 3 and or 4and 4.....I know the assymmetry is killing you, but its gonna be alright....smooth is all that matters

·
Registered
3 Posts
It's not a big deal, but a clear sign the wheels have been balance in a rough way. What you can do, next time before you get your tires balanced manually remove all weights so they can do a clean balancing by adding only the minimum required. A lazy mechanic will keep on adding weights on top of the existing ones, which normally saves them a gram or two of lead.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Nowadays, rarely need tires rebalanced. I suspect a lot more vibe issues are bent wheels thanks to the low profile craze AKA big dub syndrome. Prime reason I never bring a vehicle in, only tires. I clean the wheels, remove the weights etc, prior to installation of new tires

1 - 15 of 15 Posts