Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight I was driving home from dinner with my wife, in my 2 week old 2021 Stelvio, about 9:30pm. I was stopped at a light waiting for arrow to make left turn at intersection. When I got the light I started my turn and as I usually do, scanned the intersecting road I was turning left onto to make sure it was still clear. At this point I realized the fat A-pillar was completely blocking my view forward/left. I had already started the turn and had traffic behind me waiting so I finished the turn on faith that there was no pedestrian there or a motorcycle that had just turned in that I missed, etc. — fortunately it was still clear and I completed the turn without incident.

Think about it after I got home, I tried to figure out what happened and why I felt so uncomfortable during that left turn. I realized it was because I have never owned a car with such a massively wide A-pillar and it was going to take some getting used to. Totally unexpected that this would be a learning curve for me.

Doing some online research- I understand the reasons for the fat A-pillars — improve roof load bearing capability in a rollover. Basically, fix one problem, introduce another.

I wanted to see if anybody else has noticed this A-Pillar blind spot situation and if it is something you get used to and if so, how quickly. Cause it sure is making me uncomfortable now.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Yes...most definately there is a blind spot behind (in front of) the huge a-pillar. I also noticed it on my (don't laugh) GMC Acadia. I taught myself that when taking left/right turns, you need to lean forward a little bit to get a peek behind the pillar.

I think there's a patent out there for someone putting a video screen on the a-pillars which will augment
the lost visibility.

·
Registered
2020 Stelvio Base RWD
284 Posts
It bothers me too, but in my opinion, the mirror makes things even worse. That pointy end, toward the A pillar, is blocking the view even more. If there it would be a gap between the mirror and A pillar, to see through, it wouldn't be a big issue the pillar thickness.

·
Registered
2022 Stelvio Ti
477 Posts
I have not noticed this and now I don't want to see if I notice it! :p

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Has to do with seating position and vehicle dimensions. Depending on how you are built in relation to how the car is built......all cars have that blind spot for some people, none of them have it for all.

Remember back in the stone ages before backup cameras, we were told to turn our head, move in the seat and look all around when backing up?

Same thing but do it when making a left turn. Maybe lean forward a bit, maybe lean to the side. For me it was the XC90.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've got to agree with ALFAOFFROAD. Too many times, especially in parking lots, have I seen people get in their vehicles, look down at the camera image and go full astern... I've taken to keeping a hand on my wife since she tends not to notice things like that.... It's like the blind spot detectors... what rot! I have a Dino 308gt4 with just a driver's side mirror and I can assure you I know where EVERYTHING around my car is ALWAYS because I know how to set my mirrors and move my head! My 4C is even worse. The passenger side mirror does not tilt out far enough and at 6'2" the rear-view mirror is a large blind spot right in the middle of the windshield. I constantly move my head around to make sure I can see and am aware of everything around the car.

Our 2019 Stelvio has the cross-path detection option and I noticed that it will pick up pedestrians walking near the front of the vehicle before the A pillar obstructs them.... Still, move in the seat and turn your head.

I have major issues with people who are "distracted" while driving. I'm not going to tell you I have the focus of an F1 racer but I'm paying attention to what I'm doing and very little else. I let my passenger play with the gadgets or I stop. I don't even let my wife or kid out without putting the car in park or neutral... (Yes I still have three pedal vehicles in service)

·
Registered
91 Posts
I drive on country roads a lot so i go thru two way stop intersections on a daily basis. The stupid huge mirrors are a liability, what were they thinking? Cant see nothing to your left.

·
Registered
66 Posts
OMG I have done this six times! I was just telling a friend a whole car can hide in that right spot behind the mirror when turning left. This is also how I did not see a guy running a light recently till it was too late. I also almost hit a lady when turning left because she was already in the intersection and I could not see her. I felt like trash because I scared her so much. I now do exaggerated moves trying to see in these spots. 😆

·
Registered
21 Posts
I don't want to be harsh but I was driving the Stelvio last night and was paying particularly close attention to the "A" post and the mirrors and I'm finding it hard to understand what the issue is... Yes the mirrors are big but they are beneath my line of sight. Might I suggest you raise up your seat so you are looking over the mirrors instead of through them. Also, the "A" post doesn't really seem to be that big of an interference, no more so than any other car... Maybe it's just me...

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
I did find that the combination of seat height and angle, combined with what seems to be a more upright A pillar, made the stelvio much better for visibility than the giulia.
Yes. Every A pillar has gotten wider over the years. Something about rollover protection.

·
497 Posts
Might I suggest you raise up your seat so you are looking over the mirrors instead of through them.
Like you, I don't see much of a problem.

I'm over 6 feet tall. It may be that the driver's height affects how big a deal this is.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Like you, I don't see much of a problem.

I'm over 6 feet tall. It may be that the driver's height affects how big a deal this is.
You are correct but some of us don't like the SUV feel of sitting high we like sitting low. If I wanted the higher ride height I would have gone with something else. So there is the that but what ever it only affects some of us.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I agree that visibility is compromised due to the size of the A Pillars as well as the mirrors. I got rid of my 2016 & 2018 GMC Acadias which were even worse. Unfortunately I fear it is a problem with all SUVs made today. Being short in stature is no doubt an additional issue. All in all, the Stelvio is much better than the Acadia, but still not great in this regard.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have been feeling this since my 2018 Stelvio and now with my 2021..

Both cars had/has Dark tints and door visors to exasperate the problem!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Tonight I was driving home from dinner with my wife, in my 2 week old 2021 Stelvio, about 9:30pm. I was stopped at a light waiting for arrow to make left turn at intersection. When I got the light I started my turn and as I usually do, scanned the intersecting road I was turning left onto to make sure it was still clear. At this point I realized the fat A-pillar was completely blocking my view forward/left. I had already started the turn and had traffic behind me waiting so I finished the turn on faith that there was no pedestrian there or a motorcycle that had just turned in that I missed, etc. — fortunately it was still clear and I completed the turn without incident.

Think about it after I got home, I tried to figure out what happened and why I felt so uncomfortable during that left turn. I realized it was because I have never owned a car with such a massively wide A-pillar and it was going to take some getting used to. Totally unexpected that this would be a learning curve for me.

Doing some online research- I understand the reasons for the fat A-pillars — improve roof load bearing capability in a rollover. Basically, fix one problem, introduce another.

I wanted to see if anybody else has noticed this A-Pillar blind spot situation and if it is something you get used to and if so, how quickly. Cause it sure is making me uncomfortable now.
I traded in a 2013 Suburban for my Stelvio. It took some time to get accustomed to the larger size of the A pillars in the Stelvio. I pretty much move my head to look around the pillars before and during turns. Not ideal but I don't think about it anymore.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts