Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Slightly clickbait title - I've broken it, yes, but it's not too bad. It could have been so much worse.
As some of you know, I picked this car up on Saturday 12th. Saturday 19th, I drove to Wales to visit my family (some of you also know that was my plan, too)

I set off bright and early - 5am - in a bid to miss all the traffic. In England you only really find haulage lorries (I believe "y'all" call 'em "trucks") on the road at that time of morning. In Wales, it's tractors.

Overtook a tractor in Wales. It was a long, straight, empty road, so why not? As I was finishing the overtake, a pigeon flew across the road, and got collected by my front grille.
I pulled off at the nearest layby to check the damage and there it was, wedged firmly in, having shoved the grille quite far in. Nothing I could do there and then - I drove on to my family's house (only about 10 miles away by this point) to borrow some work gloves.

I then had the fun job of extricating the pigeon. It was wedged hard in there and did not come out in one piece. Good thing I'm used to butchering!
The good news is that after removing the pigeon and cleaning up what I could, the grille itself was still in one piece - just pushed off its clips. I've eased it back on (still needs one last, hard pull but not confident enough to try that in case the grille is more brittle than I think) and there are still some feathers that are too far back for me to reach, but should just blow out on their own.

The only real damage is the dust cover for that sensor. Which I'm pretty sure is the collision warning sensor, ironically. Not that it warned me about the fucking pigeon. :mad:

I've spoken to Alfa Romeo and they confirmed it's not serious damage. The dust cover is 拢24+VAT to replace. I'm also requested a Vehicle Health Check just to make sure there's no hidden damage that'll come back to bite me later. So that's getting booked in as soon as they can get the part in.

So yeah... how was your weekend? 馃槥
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Car Automotive lighting Vehicle

Registered
Pigeons are the worst birds. Ravens and vultures are just a distraction from the true evil of the pigeon.

Glad there isn't more damage though!

.. and if the grill can take a bird flying into it at speed, it would be shocking if you broke it pulling it back into place.. you do never know though...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pigeons are the worst birds. Ravens and vultures are just a distraction from the true evil of the pigeon.

Glad there isn't more damage though!

.. and if the grill can take a bird flying into it at speed, it would be shocking if you broke it pulling it back into place.. you do never know though...
Yeah, I hit it at some speed, too. 馃槄
I'm surprised the grill is in one piece after all that, to be honest. It probably will fit back on just fine and accept a good firm pull, but in any case I need to get that cover replaced anyway. Might as well let AR sort it out.

Registered
Yeah, I hit it at some speed, too. 馃槄
I'm surprised the grill is in one piece after all that, to be honest. It probably will fit back on just fine and accept a good firm pull, but in any case I need to get that cover replaced anyway. Might as well let AR sort it out.
You grill it up for dinner?...had to.

Registered
* Not Alfa related....* I lived in England for 4 years. 1985-1989. I commuted from Ely to Mildenhall, via a road trip through the "FENS" . The Fenlands are farming acerages, with rich black soil, and they keep the fields drained with large deep trenches on the perimeters. Pheasants used to love to sleep in these at night as they were protected from the high winds that rolled overthe flat land. Without fail, every year for all 4 years, My 1982 SAAB 900 (Great Car BTW) would encounter at least one bird. One year, after hitting one head on...I lost a headlight. About 2 miles down the road, I was pulled over by a very polite constable who...while helping me remove the bird from the front end of the car, also wrote me a ticket for drving with a head light out. Good times!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
* Not Alfa related....* I lived in England for 4 years. 1985-1989. I commuted from Ely to Mildenhall, via a road trip through the "FENS" . The Fenlands are farming acerages, with rich black soil, and they keep the fields drained with large deep trenches on the perimeters. Pheasants used to love to sleep in these at night as they were protected from the high winds that rolled overthe flat land. Without fail, every year for all 4 years, My 1982 SAAB 900 (Great Car BTW) would encounter at least one bird. One year, after hitting one head on...I lost a headlight. About 2 miles down the road, I was pulled over by a very polite constable who...while helping me remove the bird from the front end of the car, also wrote me a ticket for drving with a head light out. Good times!
Yep! I know the Fens well. I live in Lincoln, but I do a lot of butchering at home. Around this time of year we get a lot of shooters/gamekeepers that have hundreds of pheasants they can't sell because nobody wants the hassle of plucking and prepping pheasants (if you've ever done it before, you'll know it's an absolute faff). So there's a group called "Giving Up the Game" where they advertise free game (pheasants, rabbits, ducks, the occasional muntjac etc) and I'll drive out there to load the car up with whatever's going.

It's a drive out to the Fens, and I had to teach myself butchery through YouTube videos, but in return I get enough meat to last until late spring, even with the dog (a lot of it gets processed into raw dog food). Otherwise it gets vacuum-sealed and frozen for later.

So yeah, I can 100% believe that whole area between Cambridge and Norwich is a nightmare for rogue game. Especially this time of year! :LOL:

Reactions: Lucio

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All that aside, what do you think of your new car after the trip?
Some of the 'honeymoon period' has waned, and I'm able to look at the car much more objectively now than I did.
But even so - Holy cow! What a machine!

English roads and Welsh roads are very different to each-other, not least because the local councils in Wales actually maintain the roads. So the roads are nice and smooth. This means that I can have the car in 'Race' and not find the ride too jarring, even with the harder suspension settings and the 21" alloys.
However, on all but the smoothest English roads, soft suspension settings are a must. They just are.

The trip through England was mostly motorways (I think y'all call them 'highways') and for the entire trip I had it in 'A' mode. I do love how that setting quietens off the engine and exhaust, and at normal speeds it's quiet and comfortable, and munches the miles away quite happily. It has an excellent stereo, the seats are very comfortable, and the cupholders are actually pretty great, even having their own little illuminations so you can see where they are in the dark. It's little things like that that make a big difference on a road trip.

It's also great to know I don't have to change driving modes if I want a burst of power to overtake things. Put your foot down and it'll still prove to be faster than most cars on the road without breaking a sweat.

What was interesting were my family's views on my car. My parents were enamoured by the looks. My brother, not so much. In fact my brother didn't really have anything nice to say about the car, with every comment he made being something shitty. "It doesn't pull as fast as I thought" or "these headrests suck" or "the ride's too firm". But then he drives a 15-year-old Passat Estate, so I suspect a lot of it is sour grapes. But the one positive thing he did say was "I'm not sold on the style - I don't like SUVs - but that engine noise would change my mind!"

My dad, however, wasn't won over by the speed so much as the brakes. I eased onto the brakes from 135mph to prepare for an upcoming bend, and he was amazed at how quickly this thing slows down. Or as he put it: "I can feel my balls shifting forward!" :LOL:

Sorry. Bit of an essay, I know. In my defence: You did ask... :LOL:

Registered
Yep! I know the Fens well. I live in Lincoln, but I do a lot of butchering at home. Around this time of year we get a lot of shooters/gamekeepers that have hundreds of pheasants they can't sell because nobody wants the hassle of plucking and prepping pheasants (if you've ever done it before, you'll know it's an absolute faff). So there's a group called "Giving Up the Game" where they advertise free game (pheasants, rabbits, ducks, the occasional muntjac etc) and I'll drive out there to load the car up with whatever's going.

It's a drive out to the Fens, and I had to teach myself butchery through YouTube videos, but in return I get enough meat to last until late spring, even with the dog (a lot of it gets processed into raw dog food). Otherwise it gets vacuum-sealed and frozen for later.

So yeah, I can 100% believe that whole area between Cambridge and Norwich is a nightmare for rogue game. Especially this time of year! :LOL:
Ah, Ive been to Lincoln a few times. Lovely town really. Dated a gal in Northhumberside for about a year. Brigg actually. Loved seeing those Vulcan's at Waddington too. Brilliant they are.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
"135 mph" with Dad.
Quite a guy
Welsh roads are quiet. ;)
There's a great bit between Glasbury and Clyro where it's dead straight for about a mile or two, with a long easy right-hander before and after that allows you to build up speed before hammering it down the straight. 135 was frankly too easy to hit, even with 3 people in the car :LOL:

Dated a gal in Northhumberside for about a year. Brigg actually.
From Brigg??? Christ, no wonder you moved to the States... :LOL: ;)

As for the Vulcans: I was gonna ask if you were an RAF lad. I know Mildenhall has a base, too.
Incidentally: The Vulcans are great, but remember the Red Arrows? They're no longer based in Scampton. :(
Shame. I liked seeing their training exercises from my garden!

Registered
Welsh roads are quiet. ;)
There's a great bit between Glasbury and Clyro where it's dead straight for about a mile or two, with a long easy right-hander before and after that allows you to build up speed before hammering it down the straight. 135 was frankly too easy to hit, even with 3 people in the car :LOL:

From Brigg??? Christ, no wonder you moved to the States... :LOL: ;)

As for the Vulcans: I was gonna ask if you were an RAF lad. I know Mildenhall has a base, too.
Incidentally: The Vulcans are great, but remember the Red Arrows? They're no longer based in Scampton. :(
Shame. I liked seeing their training exercises from my garden!
Hahahahaha! Yes, well...she was nice enough, but incompatable with my personality. Yes, Im USAF, now retired. For the most part, those were the best 4 years of my life. Traveled the UK as an American GI, made TONS of friends. Heavily into TR7s and 8s as well. Restoring a 7 in my garage for the last few years.

Registered
Re English roads, I didn't find them so terrible in a rent-a-brea doing a mostly backroads loop from London, Oxford, cotswald, bath, Stonehenge, dover, national motor museum etc.
But yeah, most cars (alfa included) have a much softer suspension than hard setting in R, which gets utilized less than I would like.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hahahahaha! Yes, well...she was nice enough, but incompatable with my personality. Yes, Im USAF, now retired. For the most part, those were the best 4 years of my life. Traveled the UK as an American GI, made TONS of friends. Heavily into TR7s and 8s as well. Restoring a 7 in my garage for the last few years.
It's funny - the Triumphs are much more popular with Americans than Brits. I have a friend in Virginia who is also ex-military, and he's a sucker for TR7s, 8s and Jags.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts