Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my 2019 Stelvio Q4 for nearly 2 years, and I can't wait for the 3 year lease to be over. Never in my life have I been so aggravated by a new vehicle, particularly something that presents itself as a sports car. Regardless of which driving mode the car is in, there's a split second lag period from when I step on the accelerator until the transmission engages. I can literally push the accelerator to the floor and let it pop up, with no engagement, or movement from the car. I've tried driving the car in all 3 modes, and the result is the same. Once the accelerator finally engages, then the car will move quickly. My vehicle is apparently set to move up to 3 mph the minute I take my foot off the break, which is incredibly dangerous. I've tested it several times for consistency, so it's not my imagination. This is dangerous in parking garages, as well as stoplights. Therefore, when I take my foot off the break and the car starts to move, I then hit the accelerator and the car pauses, and then finally engages. The overall effect creates a very jerky driving experience. This also happens on the freeway. I'll have my foot on the accelerator cruising along at 70, I'll then press down on the accelerator to pass someone, and it takes a moment to engage. I can see the tachometer rev, so it appears that the engine needs to catch up to the speed of the car? On another occasion I came down a canyon road, turned right onto a major thoroughfare, hit the accelerator, and the car slowed to almost a complete stop, and then engaged. Thank god I hand't pulled out in front of a car or I would have been rear ended. I've taken it to the dealer multiple times, and they tell me they can't find anything wrong with the car, but out of the side of their mouth they'll say that some of these cars do that. I've owned 2 LandRovers, 4 Jeep Grand Cherokees and even a Nissan 240SX... none of these cars have ever behaved this way. My husband drives a 2013 Mercedes E350 Convertible which is the finest car I've ever driven. I'll sit at the light, take my foot off the break, and the car will not move until I hit the accelerator. And when I step on the accelerator, the car MOVES, even in economy mode. I have never hated a car so much in my life. I've written to corporate and begged them to let me out of the lease because I'm afraid that I'll be killed in this car thanks to it's inconsistencies, but to no avail. We do have a lemon lawsuit filed, therefore I cannot post my legal name here. Sadly, I've had to alter the way that I drive in this so called 'sports car'. I never make a left turn without allowing for a long response time from the car. On another point, the start/stop technology is incredibly inconsistent, which adds to my left turn anxiety. I'll drive the car for several miles, stopping frequently at stoplights, and it never shuts off. (yes I know I can hit the button on the left, but I forget to do it when the car appears to be functioning normally). I'll turn the signal on, get into a turn lane, and the car shuts off. Shouldn't someone be programming the computer so the car never shuts off when the turning indicator is on?? The Charcoal grey car with it's allow wheels, red calipers, and matching red interior, turns a lot of heads. But when asked how I like it, I respond with I hate it. Don't buy one. There's a host of other issues as well. The car hadn't been programmed when I saw it on the dealers lot, so I wasn't able to drive it prior to leasing it. We discovered several days later that the car did not have satellite radio or heated seats, even though we'd been told it did. Seriously? A $50,000 car doesn't have these basic features? I nearly bought a Alfa Romeo Spider in the 80's, but thought it was to much sports car for me at the time. 30+ years later, and the dream of being an Alfa Romeo owner has turned into a freakin nightmare. The radio died and had to be replace during our last service visit. The power windows are horribly inconsistent and have to frequently be reprogrammed. So many times when I hit the button to put them up, they roll down, again and again. It might take 5 tries to get the window up. And when you're being approached by an aggressive homeless person at a stop light, this can be very disconcerting. And when it comes to the electronic gear shift and their buttons, it still hasn't become second nature to me. So often I hit the park button, and it doesn't engage. I'll think I'm in park, take my foot off the brake, and the car begins to roll. And on two occasions, I've reached for my cell phone sitting in the console, and hit the park button with my wrist... the car jerks to a stop. Do yourself a favor, buy or lease a C Class Mercedes instead of an Alfa.. our loaner cars from the Mercedes dealership have all been a dream to drive compared to the Stelvio.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I've had my 2019 Stelvio Q4 for nearly 2 years, and I can't wait for the 3 year lease to be over. Never in my life have I been so aggravated by a new vehicle, particularly something that presents itself as a sports car. Regardless of which driving mode the car is in, there's a split second lag period from when I step on the accelerator until the transmission engages. I can literally push the accelerator to the floor and let it pop up, with no engagement, or movement from the car. I've tried driving the car in all 3 modes, and the result is the same. Once the accelerator finally engages, then the car will move quickly. My vehicle is apparently set to move up to 3 mph the minute I take my foot off the break, which is incredibly dangerous. I've tested it several times for consistency, so it's not my imagination. This is dangerous in parking garages, as well as stoplights. Therefore, when I take my foot off the break and the car starts to move, I then hit the accelerator and the car pauses, and then finally engages. The overall effect creates a very jerky driving experience. This also happens on the freeway. I'll have my foot on the accelerator cruising along at 70, I'll then press down on the accelerator to pass someone, and it takes a moment to engage. I can see the tachometer rev, so it appears that the engine needs to catch up to the speed of the car? On another occasion I came down a canyon road, turned right onto a major thoroughfare, hit the accelerator, and the car slowed to almost a complete stop, and then engaged. Thank god I hand't pulled out in front of a car or I would have been rear ended. I've taken it to the dealer multiple times, and they tell me they can't find anything wrong with the car, but out of the side of their mouth they'll say that some of these cars do that. I've owned 2 LandRovers, 4 Jeep Grand Cherokees and even a Nissan 240SX... none of these cars have ever behaved this way. My husband drives a 2013 Mercedes E350 Convertible which is the finest car I've ever driven. I'll sit at the light, take my foot off the break, and the car will not move until I hit the accelerator. And when I step on the accelerator, the car MOVES, even in economy mode. I have never hated a car so much in my life. I've written to corporate and begged them to let me out of the lease because I'm afraid that I'll be killed in this car thanks to it's inconsistencies, but to no avail. We do have a lemon lawsuit filed, therefore I cannot post my legal name here. Sadly, I've had to alter the way that I drive in this so called 'sports car'. I never make a left turn without allowing for a long response time from the car. On another point, the start/stop technology is incredibly inconsistent, which adds to my left turn anxiety. I'll drive the car for several miles, stopping frequently at stoplights, and it never shuts off. (yes I know I can hit the button on the left, but I forget to do it when the car appears to be functioning normally). I'll turn the signal on, get into a turn lane, and the car shuts off. Shouldn't someone be programming the computer so the car never shuts off when the turning indicator is on?? The Charcoal grey car with it's allow wheels, red calipers, and matching red interior, turns a lot of heads. But when asked how I like it, I respond with I hate it. Don't buy one. There's a host of other issues as well. The car hadn't been programmed when I saw it on the dealers lot, so I wasn't able to drive it prior to leasing it. We discovered several days later that the car did not have satellite radio or heated seats, even though we'd been told it did. Seriously? A $50,000 car doesn't have these basic features? I nearly bought a Alfa Romeo Spider in the 80's, but thought it was to much sports car for me at the time. 30+ years later, and the dream of being an Alfa Romeo owner has turned into a freakin nightmare. The radio died and had to be replace during our last service visit. The power windows are horribly inconsistent and have to frequently be reprogrammed. So many times when I hit the button to put them up, they roll down, again and again. It might take 5 tries to get the window up. And when you're being approached by an aggressive homeless person at a stop light, this can be very disconcerting. And when it comes to the electronic gear shift and their buttons, it still hasn't become second nature to me. So often I hit the park button, and it doesn't engage. I'll think I'm in park, take my foot off the brake, and the car begins to roll. And on two occasions, I've reached for my cell phone sitting in the console, and hit the park button with my wrist... the car jerks to a stop. Do yourself a favor, buy or lease a C Class Mercedes instead of an Alfa.. our loaner cars from the Mercedes dealership have all been a dream to drive compared to the Stelvio.
Well, I will never buy again another German car. BMW, Mercedes, Audi or WV , it doesn't matter, all of them are much more unreliable than Stelvio and Giulia in my experience. Maybe only Porsche is an exception, but I have never driven Porsche.......In the last 15 years, German cars are the most unreliable. I will never buy Mercedes C Class also, at least for the reason that every second person here is driving exactly C Class and they are the most boring cars for pensioners only. The problem with the Alfas in the States are the dealerships. They often can't handle the problems and the cars are staying there enormous amount of time. That is why some Alfa customers are not so happy with their cars.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The car moving forward after lifting break pedal is actually very convenient when you are struck in traffic as basically you use one foot. And this is attributable not only to Alfa Romeo as my 2017 Audi Q5 and 2013 Volvo XC60 were also rolling in traffic. The lag on accelerator is also normal due to the physics of internal combustion engine and ever increasing emission standards which mute the car dynamics to pass emission certification. However, both Alfa Romeo and Audi minimized the lag when Dynamic mode is engaged.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Good luck with your Mercedes. 🍀. Sounds like you bought the wrong car.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Yes..the problem is with the car.....not with thinking the accelerator should be used like a sledge hammer.....;)

....this is why certain people think computers can drive safer than humans....scary part is they are right.. about certain humans.

Then, can we contemplate the contradiction of a vehicle that both "is apparently set to move up to 3 mph the minute I take my foot off the break (sic)", and "can literally push the accelerator to the floor and let it pop up, with no engagement, or movement from the car"

Are you holding the "break" while slamming the gas pedal?

Or are you exaggerating while also blaming the car for......errors caused by....not the car?

Driving a Mercedes takes cash or good credit and the ability to pass a driver's license test. Driving an Alfa takes those things...and some actual skill if you want the best experience. Choose your poison. Neither is perfect.

·
Registered
127 Posts
If you saying the stelvio doesnt have lag from a perfect stop you are either a liar, dont drive one or maybe denial.
Not everybody is a hardcore " i will die before i say something negative about alfa" type of person. Stop f..... crucifying everybody that saiz something negative about the car, especially when it is legit. You are not doing alfa romeo a favor. The list of things wrong with this car is 10 pages long. Yes i still love the car, but the next generation has to be better, . This is a brand new car and there are a lot of things that are uncooked here. I will say this again, this is not a high performance car that some of you make it out to be. Its a freakin SUV and if it cant do the going from a to b task well and seamlesly, guess what? There wont be no Stelvio. This car has to work for more people than just a handfull of people ...men between 45 and 65 range, sports car aficionados. If theres going to be a next generation of this car. So if you want your beloved alfa to be around cut out the philosphy bull crap and get smart.

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio Ti Montecarlo Blue
259 Posts
Lordy, what a pissing match.

If you are going to call someone out for being overly generous, don't go the other way with "the list of things wrong with this car is ten pages long". It kind of defeats the purpose.
I think the Stelvio is an amazing, sporty, fun to drive, and in my case, incredibly reliable vehicle.
Taking of from a dead stop, there is a lag.
I have adapted to it.
It has a 2. OL 4 cylinder engine with a turbo.
Until the RPM's and boost pressure gets up, it just a 2.0L engine starting a hefty, solid vehicle from a dead stop.
You want a faster take off? Go with the bigger displacement engine.

This vehicle is not built for a drag strip.
It is built to drive.
Mine flies up the mountain passes with ease, handles the curves tight and secure, and gives me a smile every time I drive it.
I just took my friends new Porsche suv with the 6 cylinder. It had a throatier growl and took off faster from the light.
Beyond those 2 things, I was happy to get back in my Stelvio for the drive hone with no regrets, remorse or jealously.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Pretty positive there was nowhere I said the Stelvio doesn't have accelerator lag. Would love to see that quote.

Stelvio has accelerator lag. Which is noticable mostly when a person drives like their foot is a sledge hammer. It isn't designed to correct for bad driving, it kind of amplifies it like a pair of studio speakers will make a bad recording sound worse, not better.

Mercedes drives like a pig glued to a skateboard, but with computer controller gyros. Which is noticable..all the time...no matter what...cause the computer control more about the attitude and dynamics then the driver. (Unless of course there is a computer or part failure in which case it just drive like a pig glued to a skateboard).

Nothing is perfect, regardless some people prefer Mercedes, and if you go on a Mercedes forum and trash the brand, people defend it, more rudely and aggressively than has been done here.

While others prefer Alfa and if you go on an Alfa forum and trash the brand....well...same thing.

What I did was ask how a car can move 3mph just by not having a foot on the brake..AND....not move at all even when the accelerator is pressed??

Still waiting for the answer....

BTW, sales for Alfa are up. Sales for Mercedes are down...great time to get rid of that horrible Alfa..lots of people want them but can't find them...plus the Benz dealers are offering deals like Alfa..did..but isn't anymore..cause demand exceeds supply....at least in the US.

You want me to stop aggressively defending Alfa?

Ok. I want others to stop trying to make all vehicles the same. But you simultaneously don't care about my desires, while expecting me to care about yours. Doesn't work that way. Let Alfa be different, the Stellantis team made Opal profitable, Alfa will be fine even if it doesn't meet your definition of a perfect car.

Funny the list of things wrong can be "10 pages long" but the car is still lovable...some people might think that is better than the list of things wrong being nothing, but the car itself being a forgettable appliance.

Again and again..nothing is perfect. Not for every consumer.

You want an appliance.....plenty out there. You want something fun to drive that rewards you for improving your skill...there's Alfa, and....Lotus...but they don't make an SUV.

Rejoice in your choices.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Oh lordy...you missing the point by a mile. Unlike you, i understand the gripes of some of the folks with this car...especially in the US, and have nothing to do with track performance wtf?. If half the people that did put their trust and money in a brand that had absolutely no reliability history are going to be left with a bad experience ...well doesnt take a genius to figure that is really bad news. When you sell 1000000 cars every year you can afford some bad reviews, some unhappy customers. Get over yourself and dont cut your nose to spite your face and learn how to be an ambassador for a car brand that most americans never even heard of since you are so passionate about it. Or not..in that case start budgeting for buying more than just 1 because you and your "kind" will be responsible in keeping this brand in bussiness.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts

The worst performing brands in intial quality are Mercedes, Volvo, Audi, Land Rover and Tesla.

Not Alfa.

No brand has problems with half it's cars. The single most unreliable model of vehicle is the Jaguar E-pace with 22% defects.

Stop exaggerating. Now I am not trying to say JD Power is anything worth caring about. However, given the comments about how bad Alfa is in JD Power ratings..seems appropriate to mention, considering, you know..Mercedes is 5th from the bottom.

Nothing is perfect..especially nothing.

BTW without "my kind" BMW, Porsche, Audi, even Mercedes, to an extent, would have failed in the North American Market. Every one of these brands was made a success by people who place a priority on driving, and who aren't afraid to go against traditional or popular opinion.

Sadly most of us have become so disillusioned with the current crop of cars from these brands we have a hard time believing Alfa could be better....but..with time....people are coming around. Again..Alfa sales are up. Most of the industry...down. 1 year ago seeing a Stelvio was rare..now..I pass at least one everyday.

If you don't like your Alfa, good news!!! Values have gone up and there are plenty of people who would love to have that car after you.

·
Registered
750 Posts

The worst performing brands in intial quality are Mercedes, Volvo, Audi, Land Rover and Tesla.

Not Alfa.

No brand has problems with half it's cars. The single most unreliable model of vehicle is the Jaguar E-pace with 22% defects.

Stop exaggerating. Now I am not trying to say JD Power is anything worth caring about. However, given the comments about how bad Alfa is in JD Power ratings..seems appropriate to mention, considering, you know..Mercedes is 5th from the bottom.

Nothing is perfect..especially nothing.

BTW without "my kind" BMW, Porsche, Audi, even Mercedes, to an extent, would have failed in the North American Market. Every one of these brands was made a success by people who place a priority on driving, and who aren't afraid to go against traditional or popular opinion.

Sadly most of us have become so disillusioned with the current crop of cars from these brands we have a hard time believing Alfa could be better....but..with time....people are coming around. Again..Alfa sales are up. Most of the industry...down. 1 year ago seeing a Stelvio was rare..now..I pass at least one everyday.

If you don't like your Alfa, good news!!! Values have gone up and there are plenty of people who would love to have that car after you.

You chose the 2020 90 day initial quality data of which alfa Romeo was not a part of....

Here is the 2021 Dependability study which Alfa Romeo was a part of...

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
I suppose 90 days counts, especially for perception. We had a problem in the first 90, fixed. no problems in the 3 years since.
I expected some "doesnt feel like" comments from my wife, who had driven bmw's since 1995, and yes there were, but they were all positive. And she was fine with the 4cyl loaner we had during our initial problem too, as was I.
So unless there is some actual problem, like a bad throttle position sensor or something, these rants posts always mystify me.

·
Registered
750 Posts
It counts but the alfa wasnt tested in the 90 day study so no reason to reference it..

Its an alfa that was owned by fca which is known for relatively lackluster reliability themselves and add to that its a brand new platform altogether...not just an update. I expected a certain amount of growing pains and generally have been impressed with the dependability considering all this.

The throttle lag is what it is. It sucks but some cars have more than others. If i have to pull out into a high traffic roadway i know to give it a tiny bit of brake boost so the car moves out right when i release the brake.

I have a c8 Corvette and people are having plenty of problems with those too. More serious ones imo.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
You probably put it in D instead of using anemic mode.
People don't seem to test drive, or even read about cars they buy.
Maybe the op could trade the car for a 60's firebird 400 4 speed, instant throttle response.

·
Registered
120 Posts
It sounds like you have a lemon, especially with what you're saying about the windows and radio. The "lag" you're describing with the throttle and transmission sounds like it applies to other parts of the car, too, which is a pretty serious problem. Good luck with the lawsuit, you honestly deserve a better car than this.

I just tried, and the torque converter on my car also will get me up to 3mph with no application of the throttle, but it does it very smoothly. I don't have any of the jerkiness issues you're describing. I also have some turbo lag, but never enough to feel dangerous or to slow the progress of the car while the transmission waits to shift. I've also had no issues with mine in general, aside from the recalls.

Maybe get a dashcam or cabin cam so you can record these issues. Video of these errors would go a long way with the lawsuit.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Didn't post the dependability study. Was hoping you would..saves me typing. Thanks.

That way I could post this..see..according to JD Power (Consumer reports too, but you gotta read the text not just the pictures)

Vehicle dependability is at an all-time high, with the overall level of problems cited by owners declining 10% from a year ago, according to the J.D. Power 2021 U.S. Vehicle Dependability StudySM (VDS), released today.

“The study results validate what we have known for some time,” said Dave Sargent, vice president of global automotive at J.D. Power. “Automakers are making increasingly dependable vehicles—but there are still some problem areas that need to be addressed and some warning signs on the horizon.

All cars are reliable/dependable, with a few outliers that aren't.

All of them. Every brand. Every model made by every brand. Some are worse, some are better, regardless, the actual difference is minimal. Which is supported by every survey given, Consumer Reports says the same thing, all cars are dependable, with some rare outliers. That is why results can vary so much, survey to survey...the results are less representative of industry-wide issues then they are issue the sampling demographic had. Each sampling has a different mix of issues because..really...brands are interchangable..all basically reliable.

Your problem is your problem, not everyone's. As much as the rest of us wish you didn't have the problem...stop exaggerating. This is not a problem with all or even most Alfas. We are here to help, not to support ridiculous exaggeration.

Either there is an issue with the throttle that should be fixed, or....something else. Either way..problem with this vehicle or driver..not all of them or most.

·
Registered
45 Posts
If you saying the stelvio doesnt have lag from a perfect stop you are either a liar, dont drive one or maybe denial.
Not everybody is a hardcore " i will die before i say something negative about alfa" type of person. Stop f..... crucifying everybody that saiz something negative about the car, especially when it is legit. You are not doing alfa romeo a favor. The list of things wrong with this car is 10 pages long. Yes i still love the car, but the next generation has to be better, . This is a brand new car and there are a lot of things that are uncooked here. I will say this again, this is not a high performance car that some of you make it out to be. Its a freakin SUV and if it cant do the going from a to b task well and seamlesly, guess what? There wont be no Stelvio. This car has to work for more people than just a handfull of people ...men between 45 and 65 range, sports car aficionados. If theres going to be a next generation of this car. So if you want your beloved alfa to be around cut out the philosphy bull crap and get smart.
I think that this is exactly what people who have problems with their Stelvios are saying. If Alfa wants to succeed, they have to produce a quality product. The "die hard Alfa fanatics" misplacing the negative comments as being the fault of the driver and "every other brand has the same problem" is not doing Alfa any favors. A $54,000 SUV should be able to perform as such, and to say that Alfa progressed ahead of the Germans in quality and development is complete and utter nonsense. I want Alfa to succeed, but they have to produce a quality product first and foremost.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts

These people are complaining about throttle lag on more expensive cars than Alfa. Of course, we all should know the problem is not with anything other then Alfa.

You are the ones saying these problems aren't appropriate for a vehicle at this price point..don't get all upset when it is pointed out that there are many vehicles both more and less expensive that have these same problems.

Should these issues be happening? No. Regardless they are, IN ALL BRANDS to varying degrees.

Isn't an Alfa thing no matter how much you want it to be. Literally no one makes a perfect car. Closest you'll come is boring cars, lots of those. However, whatever it's failing or successes an Alfa is not boring. Maybe you want boring. Nothing wrong with that, boring can also be comforting, which is nice.

(ps..still waiting to hear how the car can both accelerate the second the brake isn't being touched..but also not move even after the pedal is pressed to the floor, lifted and pressed again. Course.... I do realize the car can do both these things... Also know how, why and in what circumstances and...well, yeah.....would love an answer to the question. )

1 - 20 of 26 Posts