Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am horrified to report that I have crunched my Stelvio. I pulled into a car park to finish a phone call safely, was grabbed by another call whilst I was stationery. Having finished all of my calls, I went to pull away and drove very slowly into a car park bollard that I could not see as it was shorter than the bonnet of the car.

This accident was entirely my fault and Millie is now in the body shop for repair. However, I am being warned by the body shop that they may have issues getting the required parts. In this case, the "perspex" headlight cover, the right wing (fender) and possibly the whole front panel if they cannot repair the damage around the headlight lens.

It is probably early days and I may well have earned the least desirable accolade of being the first to cause body damage to my pride and joy but I wondered if anybody can reassure me that parts can be sourced? Perhaps the @AlfaRomeoCares team can help?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Ouch. That’s always a bad time. I know how this kind of thing goes with Toyota and Kia because I’ve seen it happen with family, they go and literally pull parts from the production queue for you. No idea how gracefully or quickly FCA will manage it. I believe someone on this forum is waiting on a bonnet/hood from an errant tree branch falling and has been for a few weeks. Might have been on reddit.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Accident damage repair

Wilts_Stelvio, unlucky accident, bummer. I always feel like I have a target on my back when I'm driving a new car. Was wondering if the EARS (Enhanced Accident Response System) kicked in when you had the accident and if so how painful was the reset procedure time wise.

·
Registered
174 Posts
So sorry for ur accident, it suck but s**t happens and thank god U’re ok...at least u didn’t kill anyone - that what I would tell myself anyway;). Remind urself that It’s just a car and will be fixed eventually - reguardless of how long it will take.

·
Registered
39 Posts
In this case, the "perspex" headlight cover, the right wing (fender) and possibly the whole front panel if they cannot repair the damage around the headlight lens.
Firstly, sorry to hear of the accident.

Unusual for them to try and order the headlamp lens.... it will be a sealed unit so you can't replace just the front lens. It will need a whole new headlamp if that is damaged.

The parts will be available but your RHD version will be more difficult for them to get hold of - the dealers will be the only ones able to order spares at the moment. As the main factory is closed, the supply base also won't be producing parts so supply may be hand-to-mouth for spares until the factory starts up again.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Weird how they can't get some spare parts for you considering how long the Stelvio has been in production, should be able to spare a few or have a few lying aorund. Hope it all works out for you!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@JimW The accident was at less than 5mph as I pulled away from a stand still so no EARS or air bags triggered.
@Adamcot It was my suggestion that it might be the lens before the assessor had completed their work. They are replacing the front body section and the right wing (fender) and many associated parts. Once the body work has been done, it will have to go to the Alfa garage to have any sensors reset. Who could have guessed that such a slow accident could cause so much damage?
@ilhatch it is the body shop suggesting that they might struggle not the Alfa team - I hope when I get the next update from the body shop I get some good news. They suggested yesterday that they would be ordering parts yesterday hoping that they will turn up on Friday.

·
Premium Member
2018 Stelvio Base 20" yellow calipers
1,504 Posts
So sorry to see you go through this- everybody's worst nightmare; could happen to any one of us. I was almost rear-ended Monday afternoon on I287... my driver assistance flashed and sounded the alarm (and for the first time I could feel the pedal under my foot when it was activated) and the guy behind me swerved/missed by inches (or cm for you on the other shore).

We're all sitting ducks whether by our own stupidity or all of the potential things that can happen.

Hope you get back to the new normal soon enough!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks @Scalewoodman and everyone who has offered their sympathies. Without going massively off topic, I have a Vauxhall Insignia as my loan car right now (loan organised by insurance) and it has Carplay. I have to say that, whilst I am using it, I much prefer the rotary pad system of the Alfa. Using a touch screen whilst driving does not add to safety IMHO as you need to be precise about where you touch and that diverts your attention and gaze.

As much as I would like to see an enhanced level of connectivity in the Alfa head unit, balancing functionality and safety is key. Real Time Traffic Info via an in head unit SIM and the ability to transfer destination info from your phone to the head unit via that connectivity would be a big step forward.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am told that the parts for the repair should be with the local dealer mid-late next week. They will probably need a week to do the work so if I am luck I should have my car back by end of the 8th June. Missing her badly.

·
Registered
2019 stelvio 2.2 jtd diesel 210 bhp alfa red
59 Posts
hi do you have a picture on how it looks like? and if they can actually fix the whole thing by not replacing parts?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts