Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Stelvio Ti Alfa white with Chocolate interior, premium package.
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading all the relavant threads here I'm still uncertain on how much difference the 'active' suspension (not to be confused with the 'adjustable' suspension) feels compared to the non-active suspension in terms of road manners ....I wonder if anyone has both in their stable, and/or has driven both long enough to compare. Is it a night and day difference?

I've been looking at trading my MY22 for a MY20/21 in my preferred color, or just buying it outright and gift my MIL. Few have active but vast majority don't, there are other trade-offs involved in the calculus BUT if the 'active' suspension means my passengers bob/weave MUCH LESS than they do now, than that could be a weightier driver in the decision.. Unfortunately there's nothing in my area to drive.

My only comparison is with my Wife's fully loaded Giulia Ti sport which DOES have active suspension but it's also 4 inches lower so not apples to apples. I don't bounce sideways like I do in the stelvio when I hit a pothole and it seems the giulia soaks up road chatter better but how well would it do that if jacked up another 4 inches is hard to extrapolate...

·
Registered
'18 TI Lusso AWD
792 Posts
I have an 2018, the maroney says ' Active Suspension' IIRC, the Active suspension, isn't active, it's just harder when in N and D, and when in D, it has the option of being soft like A, I seem to remember some MES post that had all the variables for the 2.0, when I push the button, the dash says soft, rather than static. I'm happy to be corrected if others know more.

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
Technically the way it is active is less to deliver hard or soft suspension settings but more to negate body roll and deliver a smoother ride with better handling with the same firmness settings, or similar I believe.

Good question how well it does this though. I don't know.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I have the adjustable suspension which is also "active", and I still get tossed around a bit laterally at lower speeds, especially when turning and/or bumps or hills are involved. I can't vouch for how different the active suspension is, but it's not going to fix the bobbing and weaving. I think that's the price we have to pay for driving something so tall that still handles so well.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I find this thread very, very confusing and the posts contradictory. I always understood there to be 3 suspensions on the Stelvio: standard; sport; and adaptive. Is that not the case?
Yes that exactly is the case. The first is passive/standard. The second, called sport in the US is the same only with FSD dampers and feels even little stiffer and harder than standard.The third is the active one which is constantly working in every DNA mode. It is not static in A and N . It is a tad more comfortable in N and A but still monitoring for handling. So, with the active you have the two extremes of the spectre of the suspension - the softest and the hardest. In the QV it is a touch harder in Race than the Hard setting in D of normal Stelvio.The standard is tuned between the hard and soft of the active suspension. The system is complicated and effective and for sure is a pretty nice option to have. The price of the dampers is another story of course :)

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
The car's tendency to lean around corners is a big part of how it manages transitions between left and right so well.

Flatter tuning requires more lateral force placed on the outside tire, when changing direction that load must be overcome. This requires additional force in the opposite direction and has the effect of creating more physical forces to overcome when turning. Which makes transitions slower and less natural feeling.

Part of why the Stelvio is so dynamically rewarding is that it allows itself to roll. Otherwise it would handle like a Macan.. which isn't bad but isn't as rewarding.

Also...you lose the feeling of oversteer and tend more to understeer. Gets harder to bring the rear out, requires a lot more computer intervention to deliver solid RWD dynamics. Again... Makes the car less natural feeling.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Without reading through all of these posts, my 2019 Stelvio Ti Sport came optioned with what Alfa calls the Sport Performance Package (or something like that), which allows me to switch the suspension dampening between "sport" and "soft" when in Dynamic mode. It's my understanding that this was a rare option that very few Stelvio's came equipped with, and it was discontinued for 2020.

·
Registered
538 Posts
It's the "Performance Pack". It comes with Adjustable suspension, paddle shifters, and a limited slip differential.
Without reading through all of these posts, my 2019 Stelvio Ti Sport came optioned with what Alfa calls the Sport Performance Package (or something like that), which allows me to switch the suspension dampening between "sport" and "soft" when in Dynamic mode. It's my understanding that this was a rare option that very few Stelvio's came equipped with, and it was discontinued for 2020.

·
Registered
19 Posts
It looks like there were two different options available.

Ti Sport Performance Package
$1,350
Active Suspension, Limited Slip Differential Rear Axle

Ti Performance Package
$1,650
Active Suspension, Aluminum Steering Column Mounted Paddle Shifters, Limited Slip Differential Rear Axle

·
Registered
19 Posts
View attachment 28553
in '18 it was like this. I understand there was an option version in '19 that was 500 less and missing one item. I think it was the LSD, but I'm not positive.
Unfortunately, I'm away from my Stelvio at the moment, otherwise I'd grab the window sticker. Anyway, even though those options look are very similar, I believe that only the latter gives the function of manually selecting the suspension settings.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
My '19 Ti Sport AWD's Monroney label lists "Ti Sport AWD Package 22S", showing cosmetic trim options, but no performance additions. No active suspension nor LSD. But it does have aluminum steering column mounted shift paddles. Lots of other option packages, but not performance-oriented.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts