Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after having my Veloce there are a few things I really don’t like. 1. The radio interface is horrible I have had so many problems just want to trash it. 2. Turbo lag, 3 rattles all over the car. Love the handling l, love how on highway it will get from 50 to 100mph so smooth. I do feel that for a $57k car the dash should be a lot nicer. Other then that I do like the car I lease so I get a new car every two/three years. So big question is? What can be done to help the performance of this car and to help turbo lag?????

· Registered
'18 TI Lusso AWD
893 Posts
most simple first steps

1. get a go pedal
  2. get a JB4 Piggyback or similar
  3. always buy premium petrol/gas
more controversial steps....
run 28" tires to lower you effective gear ratio. ( I think you'd be a trailblazer with this mod) like 255/40/20s
eliminate the spare tire if you have it. Definitely eliminate your personal spare tire if you have one.
never fill up past 1/2 tank
Don't bring friends with you, they just add another 150lbs or more that slow you down.

· Registered
586 Posts
There has been a lot of conversations about turbo lag on here and I've never felt it was all that bad... Until I realized that 90% of the time I'm in Dynamic mode I'm using the shift paddles, and that's why I never notice it. I had a Giulia loaner this week without the paddles, and I that's when I finally noticed lag. I actually think it's a combination of a little bit of turbo lag and a lot of transmission lag when you catch the car in the wrong gear. Use the paddles more, you'll notice the lag a lot less.

· Registered
2022 Veloce Ocra GT with Active Assist Plus
724 Posts
So after having my Veloce there are a few things I really don’t like. 1. The radio interface is horrible I have had so many problems just want to trash it. 2. Turbo lag, 3 rattles all over the car. Love the handling l, love how on highway it will get from 50 to 100mph so smooth. I do feel that for a $57k car the dash should be a lot nicer. Other then that I do like the car I lease so I get a new car every two/three years. So big question is? What can be done to help the performance of this car and to help turbo lag?????
Drive exclusively in Dynamic mode.

· Registered
2022 VELOCE
66 Posts
most simple first steps

1. get a go pedal
  2. get a JB4 Piggyback or similar
  3. always buy premium petrol/gas
more controversial steps....
run 28" tires to lower you effective gear ratio. ( I think you'd be a trailblazer with this mod) like 255/40/20s
eliminate the spare tire if you have it. Definitely eliminate your personal spare tire if you have one.
never fill up past 1/2 tank
Don't bring friends with you, they just add another 150lbs or more that slow you down.
@ GWRmotohead...isn't the go pedal and JB4 similar products? ...or what is the difference? Agree with the half a tank (8 gallons?). I defintely notice more peppiness when fuel gauge is below 1/2 reading although a full tank represents aproximately 98 pounds dry weight.

· Registered
'18 TI Lusso AWD
893 Posts
a Go pedal only remaps the throttle inputs, no change to boost or fuel maps or engine power.
a JB4 remaps fuel and boost, for more actual engine HP, ( and maybe remaps the throttle, IDK)

Both are super simple to remove if one was leasing a vehicle and resell here.

· Registered
6,322 Posts
Do a search on lag and you'll find many options.

If the car has a lot of rattles I'de talk to the dealer. That isn't a common complaint..After 4 years of being driven off-road, my car is rattle free. I don't drive fast off road. Do drive fast on road.

What are the problems you are having with the radio? Maybe not interface, maybe an issue. Most of the complaints about that are it's slow, not so much its hard to use or glitchy.

Btw: The fuel pumps in ALL new cars require a certain amount of gas in the tank. The gasoline effectively cools the pump and if you drive regularly with low gas you significantly increase the chance of the fuel pump failing due to overheating. Treat 1/4 tank like empty.

· Registered
43 Posts
personally, I find the turbo lag worth the wait! I know its not very refined and we should expect more out of a car of this caliber, but man when that turbo kicks in you are gone! ....but I also was driving a Subaru with a CVT so the bar was pretty low, in fact the bar may have just been lying on the ground!

· Registered
133 Posts
Agree with the reco on throttle controller, piggy back tune, d mode. Lag never fully goes away, but a slight upping of the throttle sensitivity, and the 20-40 bhp increase of the new tune does wonders. And always premium fuel. And, on my second Stelvio, no squeaks, no rattles experienced on either. And leather dash option worth it if you like a bit more upscale to your ride…

· Registered
73 Posts
Apropos this subject. I do a lot of local short journeys and have a Milano, four years old 33k miles on the clock. Took it on the motorway selected manual fourth gear and drove at 4000 rpm
for a few miles. Back into automatic, oh boy drives like new, no lag nothing. N feels like D ! Absolute dream to drive. The Stelvio has to be best in class.

· Registered
1,488 Posts
Seems like you don't like the car at all but that's just my opinion. If you lease every 2-3 years, why worry about performance? either you live with it for 2 years or go trade it in for something else, now. Most dealers will take your new lease and put you into their new cars. It may cost you a bit but why worry about rattles and performance that hasn't met your expectation? I see more issues coming from you about the car in the future and I don't think you will be happy with it.

life is about choices, no? Good luck

· Registered
310 Posts
So after having my Veloce there are a few things I really don’t like.

1. The radio interface is horrible I have had so many problems just want to trash it.
2. Turbo lag,
3 rattles all over the car.

Love the handling l, love how on highway it will get from 50 to 100mph so smooth.
I do feel that for a $57k car the dash should be a lot nicer.
Other then that I do like the car I lease so I get a new car every two/three years.

So big question is?

What can be done to help the performance of this car and to help turbo lag?????
So, I had to hunt down your original post to find out that you bought a loaded 2022 Veloce.

I'm concerned that you have 2500 miles on a 2022, and you feel like there are a lot of rattles in the car.
What is the build date, according to the sticker in the drivers door frame?
If you can isolate the location of the rattles, bring that to the attention of your dealer.

For the dash, do you have the leather dash and upgraded radio package, or does your car have the stock dash?
Or are you complaining more about the overall dash design and layout?
Honestly, I like my dash, and my '22 Veloce has the Leather and Radio package, so it isn't the base dash.

The radio is a mixed bag, that's for sure, and the layout takes some getting used to.
My biggest complaint is the crapshoot that is having the car plugged into the usb ports in order to get Android Auto to work.
If I have to drive someplace, and get out of the car for a quick stop (picking up something at a store, for instance), it may or may not reconnect to AA via the cable, and then I have to fight with the car to connect via bluetooth, or go through a whole process of rebooting my cellphone and fighting with the car to get it to reconnect.

Turbo lag for me is a bigger issue when I'm taking off from a stop, while making a 90 degree turn, either right or left, like at an intersection when the light turns green.
I think it's overly aggressive traction control programming more than turbo lag, and yes, it is the most annoying aspect of this vehicle.

People have responded with ideas about pedal boxes, and flashes, so I won't bother with that stuff.
I will warn you that anything you do that changes the ecu programming will put you at high risk of having a warranty claim denied in the future, so I don't recommend doing those on a 2022, honestly.

Enjoy the car, though, and complain to the dealer about the rattles.

Oh, and change the oil every 5k instead of the once a year or 10k miles bs from the service guide.
It's a pretty easy car to get under and service yourself, if you enjoy working on cars, and have done so in the past.
If you're a bring the car to the dealer for everything kind of owner, that's fine, too, but it can be pricey after a while.
Since you said you get leases every 2 or three years, i'm guessing you might be more of the take it to the dealer type of owner.

· Registered
6,322 Posts
Treating the gas pedal like a progressive means of communicating power needs as opposed to a switch goes a long, long way to solving these problems. This means using both the top and the bottom of the pedal travel.

It isn't a FWD car, out of a corner, light pressure on the gas, just enough to keep the engine up, complete the turn - front wheels straight and rear pointed in the same direction - rapidly and smoothly push down to your desired power level. Hesitation isn't a problem, your ability to time everything might be. Is for me sometimes, but it's fun to work at.

Same thing from a stop. From a stop it becomes muscle memory pretty fast if you just do it. Touch the gas, feel the tires begin to rotate, smoothly and rapidly push to your desired power. Don't stab.. the car doesn't like that and modifications do less to fix the hesitation then what I'm describing. Cars don't get in front of me at stop lights, my problem is jumping when I'm not in front and having to hit the brakes because the car in front is slow. Which is almost everytime I'm not first in line.

Also.. turn off the AS/S. That will mess you up at every stop sign.

· Registered
2022 Sprint AWD which replaced 2018 Stelvio Base
97 Posts
There has been a lot of conversations about turbo lag on here and I've never felt it was all that bad... Until I realized that 90% of the time I'm in Dynamic mode I'm using the shift paddles, and that's why I never notice it. I had a Giulia loaner this week without the paddles, and I that's when I finally noticed lag. I actually think it's a combination of a little bit of turbo lag and a lot of transmission lag when you catch the car in the wrong gear. Use the paddles more, you'll notice the lag a lot less.
Good to know! The funny thing that the lowest price tier Sprint model has the paddles (and the blacked out grille) of the higher line models while the TI (next step up I believe) does not. I have only used the paddles a couple of times--the car has less than 2000 miles in the 2 months of ownership.

· Registered
6,322 Posts
You can use the gear shift to manually select gears too, if you don't have paddles. If you tell the car what gear you want it in enough times.... It will start to copy you without your having to shift as much, it isn't 100%. This is how I train the tranny to behave like I want. Did it for the first month of ownership, now I don't touch the shifter.... Mostly because I hate the stupid shifter in my car. Using it the first month sucked... It sucks .. Alfa kinda sucks for putting it in my car ....

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So, I had to hunt down your original post to find out that you bought a loaded 2022 Veloce.

I'm concerned that you have 2500 miles on a 2022, and you feel like there are a lot of rattles in the car.
What is the build date, according to the sticker in the drivers door frame?
If you can isolate the location of the rattles, bring that to the attention of your dealer.

For the dash, do you have the leather dash and upgraded radio package, or does your car have the stock dash?
Or are you complaining more about the overall dash design and layout?
Honestly, I like my dash, and my '22 Veloce has the Leather and Radio package, so it isn't the base dash.

The radio is a mixed bag, that's for sure, and the layout takes some getting used to.
My biggest complaint is the crapshoot that is having the car plugged into the usb ports in order to get Android Auto to work.
If I have to drive someplace, and get out of the car for a quick stop (picking up something at a store, for instance), it may or may not reconnect to AA via the cable, and then I have to fight with the car to connect via bluetooth, or go through a whole process of rebooting my cellphone and fighting with the car to get it to reconnect.

Turbo lag for me is a bigger issue when I'm taking off from a stop, while making a 90 degree turn, either right or left, like at an intersection when the light turns green.
I think it's overly aggressive traction control programming more than turbo lag, and yes, it is the most annoying aspect of this vehicle.

People have responded with ideas about pedal boxes, and flashes, so I won't bother with that stuff.
I will warn you that anything you do that changes the ecu programming will put you at high risk of having a warranty claim denied in the future, so I don't recommend doing those on a 2022, honestly.

Enjoy the car, though, and complain to the dealer about the rattles.

Oh, and change the oil every 5k instead of the once a year or 10k miles bs from the service guide.
It's a pretty easy car to get under and service yourself, if you enjoy working on cars, and have done so in the past.
If you're a bring the car to the dealer for everything kind of owner, that's fine, too, but it can be pricey after a while.
Since you said you get leases every 2 or three years, i'm guessing you might be more of the take it to the dealer type of owner.
Thank you for your input. I am making an appointment this week with the dealer to address the radio as it just keeps getting worse, and to look at all the rattles.

· Registered
EV6 GT (est. Delivery Jan 30,2023).
1,337 Posts
Tune. But keep in mind, its a turbo 4 cylinder. Aside from more advanced designs, like from MB and BMW, its about top of the heap.

That said, also brake torque it, manually shift it, feather the throttle off the line, etc. You have to really work to make the car go. Thats part of why so many here enjoy it. You can't just get in and expect it to perform well without putting in the work.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts