Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been really skittish about chipping my Stelvio in part because of my concern about reliability, and in part because I don't know the real benefit. I've read about the Euro and Madness systems, which are HIGHLY advocated by members of those organizations througout these message boards, but I wonder, after all this time... what actual owners think as they reflect back, about the actual difference it makes to their driving experience, because regardless of whether you get 20, 30, or 60 HP (claims are all over the place) my gut tells me a 2.0 with near 300 HP is pretty maxed out already, so I wonder what actual owners that have chipped their car have to say.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I've been really skittish about chipping my Stelvio in part because of my concern about reliability, and in part because I don't know the real benefit. I've read about the Euro and Madness systems, which are HIGHLY advocated by members of those organizations througout these message boards, but I wonder, after all this time... what actual owners think as they reflect back, about the actual difference it makes to their driving experience, because regardless of whether you get 20, 30, or 60 HP (claims are all over the place) my gut tells me a 2.0 with near 300 HP is pretty maxed out already, so I wonder what actual owners that have chipped their car have to say.
Max gains on stock turbo 2.0l is around 320hp and can be achieved by either a simple tune or piggyback.

Nobody has seen more than 3mph in increased trap speeds over the stock car which is much more conclusive data than dynos that are collected on different sessions (never compare dynos from different sessions).

Here are the results of mods...

Ve very leary of tuners claims of 390hp. This is flat out false and proven false by that same tuners acceleration times they published. Theyve actually yet to run faster than a stock stelvio.

38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is very telling, particularly since all the draggy slips I saw were for Giulias not Stelvios which I suspect would be worse. I did end up putting one of those accelerator pedals on my Stelvio, with unimpressive results (at least I wasn't that impressed). If anything the initial acceleration (0-20) is harder to control which makes sense. Anyways, my conclusion based on your feedback is to stay away from tune or piggyback.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Heres a eurocompulsion tuned stelvio that trapped 99mph with a quarter tank of fuel in it...

Their tuned 40-100mph time was 11.43 seconds

Heres a bone stock stelvio trapping over 100mph with 3/4 tank of fuel on board...

The stock 40-100mph time was 11.11 seconds

This is nothing against eurocompulsion either. Just gives an example from their own results but they're still a great company with great customer service. There's only so much you can do with stock turbo

·
Registered
631 Posts
Heres the stelvio database. Nobody has run in good air yet tuned. I expect 102mph trap speeds could be seen. Same delta as with the Giulia. No surprises

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio Ti Montecarlo Blue
206 Posts
This is very telling, particularly since all the draggy slips I saw were for Giulias not Stelvios which I suspect would be worse. I did end up putting one of those accelerator pedals on my Stelvio, with unimpressive results (at least I wasn't that impressed). If anything the initial acceleration (0-20) is harder to control which makes sense. Anyways, my conclusion based on your feedback is to stay away from tune or piggyback.
That's an interesting take.

I have the chipbox piggy back tune on my Stelvio.
The difference with vs without is very noticeable.

My take would be, pick whichever one you feel comfortable with and you will likely enjoy the modest gains per price.
I have pulled my go pedal and chipbox off for trips to the dealer and the drive there and back inspires me to get them back on asap.

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio Sport Q4 Nor-Cal PRK
164 Posts
Just sayin'

Relative to performance gains, there's also the difference of where you live/drive; "sea level" and "at high altitude" to be considered...

·
Registered
631 Posts
The gains of 30hp are still significant its just not going to change wide open throttle runs dramatically.

I agree with alfatrooper about the feel though. Thats very significant because we have such a small turbo our gains are all seen down low.

You can gain probably 50 + torques with these piggybacks or tunes which you can really feel day to day driving at part throttle. Of course torque doesn't do much for wot runs but its fantastic for around town.

You can see the low end here...

·
Registered
631 Posts
I use the jb4.

It produced the highest trap speeds of any 2.0l stock turbo giulia or stelvio and fastest 40-100 and 60-130.
Unlike flash tunes you can remove it without a trace to avoid warranty flags.

it comes with high speed real time gauges and high speed datalogging capability with automatic logging at wot and auto graphing of results.

it fixes the oem stumbling at idle on cold starts.

you can do on the fly map switching from stock, to high torque file, to low torque file, to a valet type mide if you wanted, etc.

when you're done with it you can sell it making it cost about $150 over the life of ownership.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Others reported also, 320hp is the max. , without hardware upgrade.The gearbox max torque limit is 500Nm. I am not going to mess up with car for 10% gain. BTW, does anybody knows, what exactly is the turbo in our cars ???

·
Registered
626 Posts
Others reported also, 320hp is the max. , without hardware upgrade.The gearbox max torque limit is 500Nm. I am not going to mess up with car for 10% gain. BTW, does anybody knows, what exactly is the turbo in our cars ???
Honeywell, see

Attachments

38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just looked it up...500 nm is about 368 lb/ft .. stock its 306 ... i doubt 20% more which is about the amount of hp and i will assume, also the torque increase which puts it at 367 would hurt as its within spec.... although extending your warantee if you can is probably a good idea.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Just looked it up...500 nm is about 368 lb/ft .. stock its 306 ... i doubt 20% more which is about the amount of hp and i will assume, also the torque increase which puts it at 367 would hurt as its within spec.... although extending your warantee if you can is probably a good idea.

Zf8 has been bulletproof with hybrid turbos. They generally are.

You can tune around torque limits or using a piggyback also avoids torque limits as the ecu is seeing less torque than stock (which is where the trans grabs data from).

·
Registered
137 Posts
Well, extending warranty, after engine modifications is not possible.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Well, extending warranty, after engine modifications is not possible.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Zf8 has been bulletproof with hybrid turbos. They generally are.

You can tune around torque limits or using a piggyback also avoids torque limits as the ecu is seeing less torque than stock (which is where the trans grabs data from).
Yes, bulletproof, but in stock configuration. Getting close to the limit, will shorten the life of the gearbox, I guarantee that.By how much, difficult to say??? I had one Audi and BMW previously, with ZF6 and both gearboxes failed, a year after the ECU was tuned for around 30Nm below the limit. Cost for repair of one was around 4000 $. The tune was done from professionals, who told me not to worry about and they even wanted to go over the max gearbox torque.......So, be careful and think twice before doing any upgrades. I don't know what is piggyback and bluffing the gearbox about the max torque ???

·
Registered
631 Posts
Yes, bulletproof, but in stock configuration. Getting close to the limit, will shorten the life of the gearbox, I guarantee that.By how much, difficult to say??? I had one Audi and BMW previously, with ZF6 and both gearboxes failed, a year after the ECU was tuned for around 30Nm below the limit. Cost for repair of one was around 4000 $. The tune was done from professionals, who told me not to worry about and they even wanted to go over the max gearbox torque.......So, be careful and think twice before doing any upgrades. I don't know what is piggyback and bluffing the gearbox about the max torque ???

Ive had 11 audis and my buddies regularly push 800-900tq on the rs7. They don't tune the gearboxes though. Its easy to mess up zf gearboxes tuning them.

Our zf8 have been holding up great to even hybrid turbo power and now folks in Poland with full frame turbo replacement. Yes time will tell but ive yet to see a single zf8 failure on giulia or Stelvio forum but dozens of 2.9l failures. Also zf8 is no bid deal if you break it. From 800 to 1500 dolllars and you pop in another one from car-part that has low miles and 6 month parts warranty.

Piggyback is how people are making power. Like jb4. If learn how a piggyback works you learn it makes ecu see lower torque so torque limits are moot

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I still find it hard to believe you are going to go from 5.4 sec 0-60 down to 4.8 sec 0-60 with only a 40HP gain. To me, that does not add up either. Nuff said.
Also high probability best times would be on a stock vehicle with the lightest setup ie 18's as the AWD will provide more than enough grip. Haven't seen that one.
There is a huge difference in performance at 20-30 degrees v 80-90 degrees. CAI needs actual cold air to help. THis is a very important detail. Summertime lag is far greater. Also skill of owner to be at 2500rpms before launch. I've gone from stock to EC2 enough times to know there is more than 40 hp change. 75++% of my Stelvio driving is in the winter and I will tell you that it is no where near as much fun in the summer so lets see someone draggy a few true flat runs in 20 degree air on a nice dry day. You may be surprised. Not that I give ash!! about draggy numbers.
Even in an Evora, 40 hp is NOT that significant except for peak power. Also, few folks have idealized the setups for optimal airflow as I have witnessed. I am happy to keep it as tuned till the Lotus SUV comes along and makes the Stelvio obsolete.

They have a huge success on their hands with the Emira. Production runs are ssold out. Adding more lines. aside....

1 - 20 of 32 Posts