Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DOES ANYONE KNOW WHO SELLS BRAIDED OR STAINLESS STEEL BRAKE LINES FOR OUR SUVs? Looking to improve brake response and feel. OF THE FEW COMPLAINTS I HAVE FOR MY TI SPORT 2019

THANKS

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Brake response won't change.

It is not a hydrulic brake system. The hydraulics are backup.

Might change feel, but probably not much. Someone else was on here wanting to do the same thing a while ago. Never updated us on if they did it and noticed any differance If I remember right.

Would be interested in finding out, but really doubt it would be very noticable in terms of pedal feel considering the hydraulics are not directly linked to the brake pedal but rather provide an input for the system to then simulate the feel at the pedal. Lots of filtering happening there.

The topic has been covered over at the Guilia forum as well..the consensus there is also that given the system there would be no improvment.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have done them, I had custom stainless lines made by Techna-Fit.com, Email Chris @ [email protected] he should have the correct lengths and fittings for the Stelvio. There is a total 6 lines. The rear 2 per side and the front one per side. I also bled with Castrol SRF, best fluid on the market period but very expensive. I used a High Pressure Bleeder, must make at least 30psi as the manual calls for 30-45psi or you can just open and slow drip, Unplug the battery because the car can lock a caliper but cutting off the line if it senses a pressure lost.

That being said, I alos have a set of EBC Yellow pads which are the most agressive compound available for non-quads. I drive down canyons till they go soft and almost catch fire.., I wish the pads could handle more but have not encounterd full fade. There is no doubt that the brakes can take a lot more because of the fluid and stainless lines. The feel is more or less set by the different drive modes, Dynamic is stiff and if you unlock Race they get even stiffer. I bleed my breaks multiple times over a few days to get them perfect and all air out. The feel was slightly improved, but they are much more consistent feeling pressure wise, and much less electronic. I know that under track conditions they are aiding the system and adding safety, so for that alone its worth it to me.

·
Registered
55 Posts
DOES ANYONE KNOW WHO SELLS BRAIDED OR STAINLESS STEEL BRAKE LINES FOR OUR SUVs? Looking to improve brake response and feel. OF THE FEW COMPLAINTS I HAVE FOR MY TI SPORT 2019

THANKS
Braided lines are for show, really. They are only coverings. Last that I’ve heard is to stay away from stainless brake lines if you really are going to push your braking system. There is a thing going on with the hardness of stainless. It will expand under high pressure. I doubt that you’ll be reaching the temperatures that will cause a decrease in braking ability. Also, braking pressures don’t mean a thing once the rubber loose contact with the road surface. ABS modulates that pressure, so any boost that you’re looking for won’t happen. I have a Quad, and that uses an electric braking system. I thought that all Stelvio did. Nothing that you do with hydraulics will change that. Carbon pads and ceramic rotors won’t do anything as well. Alfa releasing an updated software package might help, but that would mean very large headaches due to the need for re-certification

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Braided lines are for show, really. They are only coverings. Last that I’ve heard is to stay away from stainless brake lines if you really are going to push your braking system. There is a thing going on with the hardness of stainless. It will expand under high pressure. I doubt that you’ll be reaching the temperatures that will cause a decrease in braking ability. Also, braking pressures don’t mean a thing once the rubber loose contact with the road surface. ABS modulates that pressure, so any boost that you’re looking for won’t happen. I have a Quad, and that uses an electric braking system. I thought that all Stelvio did. Nothing that you do with hydraulics will change that. Carbon pads and ceramic rotors won’t do anything as well. Alfa releasing an updated software package might help, but that would mean very large headaches due to the need for re-certification

THANKS

1 - 6 of 6 Posts