Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Do know @chymerix on the giulia forum had his intake walnut blasted at around 6000 miles at Alfa’s direction (cold start misfires with CELs many of us MY 19 QV folks are experiencing).
It seems incredible that a modern engine even with DI may need a walnut blast with 6000 miles

·
Registered
77 Posts
I don't know of anybody installed oil catch can in their Stelvios or Giulias yet??? It is used mostly on Diesel engines and maybe some old DI engines. I am not so sure our engines are really in need of this???

·
Registered
77 Posts
Also, I heard that this oil catch can, if not installed properly or made and engineered poorly, this will lead very soon to very bad damage.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Also, I heard that this oil catch can, if not installed properly or made and engineered poorly, this will lead very soon to very bad damage.
Well, I'm not going to make a lousy job on a $90K car but if there is a PCV line that must be a major source of pollutants in the intake. I see no damage on filtering them out. The car can then be tested to see if there are any air-recirculation problems impacting the power out but being a close loop system the only difference should be in fewer oil and water vapors going on the valves. Nothing else should really change.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I don't know of anybody installed oil catch can in their Stelvios or Giulias yet??? It is used mostly on Diesel engines and maybe some old DI engines. I am not so sure our engines are really in need of this???
Actually in the US you will find tons of gas VW also with a catch can installed BTW this video explains very well:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
The real issue with catch cans... you gotta drain them. Not a big deal or hard to do, but lots of people forget to do it. Eventually the can will fill and then start pushing oil out of the can coating the intake in it. This is bad.

Gotta remember to drain the can.
That is not the problem, I'm the type of guy that cleans the engine once every month. My 16YO 911 turbo has the engine that looks like out of the factory. The issue is to identify all the right connections. I't is plenty of pipes under the hood but it shouldn't be too hard.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Well, after reading relentlessly about the oil catch cans, last several days, I choose to abandon this idea in long term contest. I will do mechanical cleaning when car gets close to 100K km. I don't have EGR and I am not going to risk my engine , because of slight, eventual possibility of carbon buildup. Even if present, there is no real evidence, exactly for our engines, that it will cut the longevity or reliability at all.The oil can idea is not very reliable at its core.It must be emptied.Possible to clog and very possible to freeze in the winter. It is not catching all the ****, too.After all, if this was reliable solution to carbon buildup, the manufacturer itself should offer it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
, I choose to abandon this idea in long term contest.
I understand your position, it may endup being my position as well, I will see. My dealer offers $200 cleaning . I know they just spray a $13 can but if it's done by then every 9000 miles I don't have warranty issues. I may do that . The MY18/19 Quadrifoglio sold in USA are prone to some level of buildup, that is pretty much sure . The thing seems to vary a lot from car to car, from owner to owner and probably also where they live. I'm in the San Francisco bay area and apparently a combination of slow traffic, dry air, augment that situation. I will keep exploring the catch can though, I'm an engineering and if used with discipline I can't see why it wouldn't be reliable. It may stop 80% but it is pretty good in my mind. It seems that a lot depend from the design of the can.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Nah..it isnt a $200 can. More like $20 with tax and shipping. Most places literally use Seafoam in a different type of can.

Here is video, this is exactly what they do. If you have an air compressor it's a very easy job. The entier kit with hose and gauge is under $200.

Don't suggest using Seafoam or anything else as a fuel additive. Run through the engine in this way it has been shown to clean and is a good idea for any car. I generally do it on any car I drive to 50k.

..still follow proper warm-up, and drive as described earlier still since nothing is a guaranteed fix though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The new Mustang GT500 runs a factory oil catch can on its huge, supercharged, gasoline engine.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
It is.....

If someone were to swap an engine....I'de see if that one fit....somehow...

I think the Stelvio has a lighter chassis. Not positive. No way it would fit... but maybe??
The Stelvio QV ha a curb weight of 1850Kg. Lighter than others but not really ultra light. The engine is mounted for the most part behind the front axe. A modern 5/6 liter V engine would be compatible with the Stelvio IMO. I wouldn't want it though. Modern catch cans are actually very small, designed for an easy release of the junk collected. Not big deal, really. Also there is no technical reason why a gasoline engine wouldn't benefit from a can catch.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Like many of you i'm worried about the Carbon buildup in my otherwise perfect 2019 Stelvio Quadrifoglio. I do have 3400 miles, Covid is not helping since we go mostly at Costco or some place around town.
I went to my dealer here in California yesterday and he confermid that issues existed. He pushed on me e a "cleaning with special fluid" for $200. I told him that I can buy a can of Valves cleaner for $ 13$ at Autozone and I understood the labor but $200 seemed a lot to spray a can inside the air intake. He said that on the Stelvio they disassembly quite a bit and manually clean inside. I guess last part is a lie but I can understand that a daler needs to operate on 50% margins. I asked what cars were showing the problem and he told me "100% of them were driven grandpa-style. People going slow in traffic without using a single time race mode". Being Italian that is definetely not me. The Italian Tuneup comes natural to me. He said that all the customers pushing it in Race once in a while weren't showing issues.
This morning I called a Friend on the East Coast. He is a Ferrari Car Salesman but he also sells Alfa and Maserati. He's smart guy with high IQ, doesn't bullshit friends. He told me that many of his Ferrari Customers bought a Stelvio quad as everyday car to mantein that Ferrari feeling and not a single one reported the problem. He has several customers that put 70000 miles on it, bought it the early days over 2 yars ago and the car goes like a charm to the point that he never heard the carbo buildup story and he doesn't push any "remedy".
What do you guys make of this. It would be nice to define a procedure for a safe cleanup using these sprays available and put it on youtube. It wouldn't bother me to do it myself every 3-5000 miles. No big deal if this keep my beloved engine clean. I just don't want to go gun-ho and mess around the engine like a kid,making the MAF sensors dirty etc.

Opinions?
Regards, Gabriele
I think the whole “carbon buildup” thing in the forum is ridiculous. Even with one poster saying that a change to port injection solved the problem at the factory. Cleaning the carbon from the valves and combustion chamber really should not be an issue. Cleaning carbon from the intake is nuts! Misfires due to carbon buildup is also way out there. Carbon deposits(heavy) can cause detonation, which would lead to the spark timing being retarded. If it was necessary, car companies would not hesitate to include the procedure in the maintenance schedule. Without driveability issues, it’s nothing more than a money grab.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I think the whole “carbon buildup” thing in the forum is ridiculous.
May be you want to inform yourself a bit more and indeed the 2020 QV engine have been modified. I guess that before calling "ridiculous" other people's post you should collect some more info.

·
Registered
257 Posts
@Gsartori Agreed carbon buildup is a known issue in DI engines. Not surprised that manufacturers don’t recommend a service, they would have DI cars lined up around the block asking for inspection and service. Prior poster maybe does not realize that Alfa didn’t change to port injection, they added it. This is a complicated multi factorial issue that impacts some engine designs more than others and is greatly influenced by how a car is driven. I am not too worried about it on the 2.0 and the way that I drive, but I own my car and will not be surprised if this requires service at some point.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts