Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The a/c in my Stelvio does not cool when interior temp is hot but outside air is cool. Recently the ambient air temp was 65 but car was in the sun which heated the inside to 95. I set thermostat to 70 and it cooled for about 1 minute then began to blow heat because it apparently reads the outside temp which was lower than the set temp of 70.
The dealer in Charleston, SC said to turn off the auto setting and try that for a few days. That does not help as all it does is keep the fan speed constant.
I met a Guilia owner who said he has not had that problem. They set the temp when first bought and have not touched it since.

·
Registered
329 Posts
There is obviously something wrong with the system, as the temp you set is the inside temp (obviously ;) ), which is measured by the system. It will/should try to reach the set temp as quickly as is comfortably possible.

First thing that comes to mind is insufficient refrigerant in the system

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Yeah...that isn't seem right. Could be refrigerant, could be a sensor....isn't right either way.

Your dealer's advice sounds like the automotive equivalent of that old joke about the guy who goes to his Dr and says "Hey doc, it hurts when I do this." Then his Dr reply's "So don't do that!"

...that guy should get a new Dr....

Sorry but, you should find another dealer.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Mine system is pretty similar. It has a lot of trouble when the outside temp is between 60-70 degrees. Sometimes, even when cool air is blowing it'll decide to just start blasting hot air as if the inside temp of the car dropped for some reason. It happens a lot in the early morning when I'm driving to work.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Is anyone else’s outside temp always read about 10* warmer than it really is? I wonder if this has impact on the logic in the programming.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't think low freon is problem because it does cool when outside air is hot.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When outside air is below 75 or so, I have to set thermo at least 10 deg below to get cooling.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have the same problem, at 61 the air is warm even if the air outside it 68. System is crap, i had the dealer check it and they said its working normal. So if I want the cold air when its 68 out, I have to put it on LOW, and then its too cold, you cant get a happy medium, just a poor design.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I think the sensors stink, otherwise there is no reason why you cannot get cool air instead of freezing or warm, just a bad system. I don't think people realize this issue. If they do not fix these small issue no one will take them seriously no matter how fast the car goes. They have stiff competition Volvo, BMW, Acura, Mercedes, Audi. I had an 2009 328 BMW never had a problem with the A/C like this and my wifes explorer also works better.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
IMHO, the sensors work extremely well.. So well that I leave car set at 70-722 full auto and let it do its job.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
??? adjusts to set temp quite quickly then fans reduce and plane off. Also have Recirc set to auto.

·
Registered
504 Posts
??? adjusts to set temp quite quickly then fans reduce and plane off. Also have Recirc set to auto.
I get that's how it's supposed to work but the problem with mine (and it sounds like some other people) is it seems to think the interior of my vehicle is a different temp than it actually is. This happens to me every morning. Let's say it's 70 degrees and sunny outside while driving to work and I have everything set to auto and the temp set to 68 degrees which should keep my car on the cool side. Well my car will turn the heat and fans on full blast as if the interior of my car is too cold and it's trying to heat it up. Well that in combination with the sun shining in my windshield makes it crazy hot inside the car. So if I slowly reduce the temp 1 degree at a time until the heat stops blowing full blast, I usually end up around 62-63 degrees. At that point the fan slows down on it's own and it'll start to trickle cool air into the car. So great, now the car is back to being comfortable. After about 10 minutes or so of finally being comfortable the fan will kick back up to full blast on it's own but this time it's blowing freezing cold air. So now it's starting to freeze me out of the car so I have to again start adjusting the temp. I'll work my way back up to around 68 degrees and the fan will then calm back down with a light trickle of cool air, again making it comfortable. It's just weird and annoying that I have to go through this same process every single morning.

It'll also do it in the evening too. The other night I had it set at 68 degrees, it was very comfortable in the car. The sun was down at this point and it was 74 degrees outside. Then I saw the outside temp gauge drop to 69 degrees and within seconds my HVAC system starting blowing super hot air full blast as if the interior temp all of a sudden dropped. So now I have to play the stupid game of slowly dropping the temp knob 1 degree at a time until the system calms down. It's as though it's reading the outside temp instead of the inside temp and then trying to adjust based off of that. It doesn't seem to have this issue if the outside temp is below 60 or above 75ish but anywhere in between those temps and it just acts confused. It's like it has a mind of it's own and just wants to mess with me everyday. Add this issue to all the other little issues and that's why I get really annoyed and frustrated with this vehicle.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I get that's how it's supposed to work but the problem with mine (and it sounds like some other people) is it seems to think the interior of my vehicle is a different temp than it actually is. ....
It sounds like you simply have a problem with your auto climate control.... That's not how it should/does normally work, I'd get it looked at....

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Your description does indeed describe a faulty interior temp sensor. By chance are you parked outside in the sun thus letting outside sensor read ridiculously high like they all do? Doubt that is it because mine would be crazy also then. Stay away from those Cali flake dealerships and make sure your dealership has a MASTER Alfa tech!!

·
Registered
504 Posts
It sounds like you simply have a problem with your auto climate control.... That's not how it should/does normally work, I'd get it looked at....
I'll add it to the novel of other issues I need looked at. Haha

Your description does indeed describe a faulty interior temp sensor. By chance are you parked outside in the sun thus letting outside sensor read ridiculously high like they all do? Doubt that is it because mine would be crazy also then. Stay away from those Cali flake dealerships and make sure your dealership has a MASTER Alfa tech!!
I am parked outside but in the morning my vehicle is still shaded by the surrounding buildings but I do know what you are talking about with the extremely inaccurate outside temperature reading. I really need to take my car in a for a list of issues, I just had such a bad experience with my local Santa Monica dealer. I'm not sure which dealer to try. The one I purchased from is a pretty far drive and I don't know if they will be any better or not and it's a lot of wasted time if they aren't helpful.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Same problem here. Been to the dealer twice with it and both times told it's normal. It's easy for me to prove if I park it in my garage overnight (always between 55-70). I found that if I start the car in the garage (I usually let it warm up for a minute or two), pull it out on the driveway, turn it off and then on again it seems to work better. I realize this is very much like an IT department telling you to restart your computer but considering these cars are more computer than mechanical these days......

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Change the rec button from Auto to Manual (manual = on), this will keep you A/C compressor on and the air will be cool.

It has gotten cooler here and I have noticed the issue also.

System is too smart for it's own good and it is preemptively turning off the A/C compressor and turning on the heat to keep the windows from fogging up, in addition to cycling the compressor on/off due to the interior/exterior temps being close. Recirculating turns on compressor regardless of anything else.

Push the button to turn the light on above the "m".

The Stelvio has several manuals avalible for it, find the "Base Manual" pdf online it has more info then the one that came with the car for some reason....some stupid reason...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 38 Posts