Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a first time Alfa owner early this year, I noticed in Norway there aren’t many of us on the roads.
And so, my last three encounters with oncoming Alfas has introduced me to some..... secret society....

....Other Alfa drivers signaling a four finger palm -like a high five :grin (right hand on steering wheel, thumb down, four up)
At first I thought it was someone driving a Giulia or a Giulietta that recognized me. But no, these were just strangers who were acknowledging another ‘brother’ in their band :big-grin

i don’t think the Audi, Merc, BMW, VW, Volvo community share this trait... maybe it’s an Italian thing

unless i misread those fingers! :eek :wink

·
Premium Member
2018 Stelvio Base 20" yellow calipers
1,504 Posts
Love it- like the Harley Davidson low wave or the Jeep wave + nod. Have to practice it a bit in just the perfect nonchalant way.

We saw our first Giulia on Saturday approaching in the other lane (wife was chattering away about something) and all I could think to do was point. Like a fool. They are scarce in this area for sure!

Reactions: alfaromeo

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sadly I failed to recognise and acknowledge the situation on my first encounter.
The second time I reciprocated, and the last time I just went with it and sure enough the other side did the same ??

I imagine any car owners driving an uncommon car may be tempted to do the same. Like two Ferraris crossing each other.
I guess in Italy, with more Alfas per capita, the situation would be different.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Great to see this kind of comradery is extending beyond Wranglers. With how many of those are on the roads these days, you're basically driving around doing the queens wave. Hopefully we start to see more Stelvio's on the road.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you go out of your own way to acknowledge another Alfa if you are traveling in the SAME direction?
haven’t had the opportunity on a 2-4 lane motorway yet. stelvios are the rarest of the rare over here. but i can imagine giving them a thumbs up ?:grin

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Not getting any love from a Giulia traveling in the same direction at night. Maybe the protocol doesn't apply in this case? :confused:
don’t give up. they probably weren’t aware (like how i was on my first encounter) :wink
or.. they didn’t realize you were driving an Alfa (at night / side by side)?

·
Premium Member
2018 Stelvio Base 20" yellow calipers
1,504 Posts
Agreed. Still can't believe all I could do was stutter and point like an imbecile thanks to the rarity of the sightings (compared by others to Bigfoot LOL). Better luck next time.

Like the scene from National Lampoon's Family Vacation, I, like Clark Griswold, expect the smart, hot, Italian, sexy Giulia driver to flirt a bit- then pull off and celebrate our cars together in a 'middyesque' day dream... spoiled by the obnoxious thumping of the lane-alert feature as reality sets back in once more... and I return to the chatter of my dear wife in the passenger's seat...

Reactions: alfaromeo

·
Registered
180 Posts
As a first time Alfa owner early this year, I noticed in Norway there aren’t many of us on the roads.
And so, my last three encounters with oncoming Alfas has introduced me to some..... secret society....

....Other Alfa drivers signaling a four finger palm -like a high five :grin (right hand on steering wheel, thumb down, four up)
At first I thought it was someone driving a Giulia or a Giulietta that recognized me. But no, these were just strangers who were acknowledging another ‘brother’ in their band :big-grin

i don’t think the Audi, Merc, BMW, VW, Volvo community share this trait... maybe it’s an Italian thing

unless i misread those fingers! :eek :wink
....Secret society???.....LOL....maybe that has something to do with "Janteloven"???.....just kidding....:big-grin....
......I think the Stelvio is totally "lagom".....LOL

I haven't noticed anything when crossing other Alfa drivers on the road.....but when parking, or @ the service station a lot of people stare and say.....that's a beautiful car....!!!
....I am getting used to it....!!!

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
That's because it IS abeautiful , unique car in a world where F Paces disappear with everyhting else. That Alfa grill is unique just like the Jaguar leaper used to be.

Reactions: tom1356

·
Registered
33 Posts
Years ago when I had a Corvette, there was a camaraderie. There was a saying 'Save the wave' used in acknowledging other corvette drivers. I had been curious about this with the Alfa family.

·
Registered
53 Posts
....Secret society???.....LOL....maybe that has something to do with "Janteloven"???.....just kidding....:big-grin....
......I think the Stelvio is totally "lagom".....LOL

I haven't noticed anything when crossing other Alfa drivers on the road.....but when parking, or @ the service station a lot of people stare and say.....that's a beautiful car....!!!
....I am getting used to it....!!!
There was the Skull and Bones society at Yale. Both Bushes were members. They have the original skull of Apache Geronimo. But they don't drive Alfas. Only Lamborghinis.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts