Registered
127 Posts
Reactions: ChiGuy and Tmorr

·
Registered
2019 TI SPORT ROSSO, NERO,HK,SUNROOF
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The 2020 is not so behind. Except for the backup camera.

Backing up is not what Alfa's are made for it would seem.

That article is great..but I dont get how Alfa is facing plumeting sales. The industry is, sure. Alfa has been growing some I thought.
Yeah, most of the writers of these articles don't back up their negative claims, one thing for sure is that every one of them has something negative to say even if it's a "good" article.

·
Registered
360 Posts
The writer needs to do his homework. I already posted this on another thread last month. For all of 2020--the COVID year-- and across the entire FCA empire, only Alfa Romeo had positive sales growth. Only AR. For specific models, and across that same FCA empire, only the Gladiator beat the Stelvio in growth for 2020.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Handling I think it surpasses most of the Germans. However, technologically, it is behind even the newest base model economy cars. But that doesn't bother me at all, I just need my apple carplay - waze / spotify and I am set.
I used to think the same, that my Stelvio was somehow "behind" the Germans tech-wise, but after a while I have come to appreciate the lack of tech and overall simplicity. For me, the simpler a system the less points of failure, conversely the more complex a system the more points of failure (think of all the computer modules in a modern Merc or Audi - do we really need an electronically controlled air freshener?). So in regard to reliability, I put Alfa ahead of the Germans. I think with respect to engineering, the Italians could do well to follow Toyota and keep things simple and not change the things that are reliable and proven. My suggestion to Alfa is to focus on "the ride quality" and getting there in style! Do not put in luxury tech features that quickly break or become dated - leave that stuff to the Germans. Alfa please do not chase the Germans in tech!

I do have one wish, I hope Alfa can partner with Bowers and Wilkins for a premium sound system upgrade. I would buy a Volvo just for the Bowers and Wilkins, just saying.
The Harmon Kardon is ok at best.

·
Registered
127 Posts
The 2020 is not so behind. Except for the backup camera.

Backing up is not what Alfa's are made for it would seem.

That article is great..but I dont get how Alfa is facing plumeting sales. The industry is, sure. Alfa has been growing some I thought.
Supposedly, from the service receipt my dealership updated my Infotainment Firmware, but yet I still had the small backup camera like this.

I updated my firmware myself (primarily because of jwq2's hard work in giving the common folk the infotainment updates.) and now it looks like this.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
The biggest difference is the simplicity (relatively) of the Alfa v its HIGHLY overcomplicated german counterparts. The #1 reason I am 100% done with german cars.
Example. Having to take half the motor apart to change a DEF tank which is guaranteed to fail on a BMW. For the most part, given the few major ....even minor issues these Giorgio cars have had, Alfa has , for the most part, stood by their product. Typically it takes 3-5+ yrs to get a german to admit any flaws in ANYTHING

Reactions: sutolarove

·
Registered
245 Posts
My suggestion to Alfa is to focus on "the ride quality" and getting there in style! Do not put in luxury tech features that quickly break or become dated
I agree completely. I had a 2003 Envoy (please don't laugh) that I bought off the lot that was completely
loaded. After 10 years and 150,000 miles it was mechanically (drivetrain-wise) sound. What started
failing were all the gizmos and "gofasters". Just to get a part for some stupid widget was $500 here,
$700 there.

·
Registered
2020 Stevio TI
363 Posts
I dont disagree , But here is where the Germans have an advantage.There is a much larger network of German dealerships to take your car for service vs the scattered few AR dealerships. And part availability can be a problem with both German and Italian cars, But I believe it is worse with the Italian cars

Im lucky to have one 5 miles away .And also a few more that are within an hr drive. But that is not the case everywhere.

IMHO, ,this lack of exposure coupled by an almost non existent advertising campaign is really holding AR sales back

·
Registered
2020 Stelvio Base RWD
122 Posts
I'm coming from a Mazda CX5, and feel like the two companies are almost the same, beautiful cars, great cars, good handling, reasonable feature, but they are not selling well.
Most likely, because people are suckers for gadgets, and hungry for new features. They don't care much about the handling of a car.
I have test drove a 2021 Hyundai Santa Fe limited, and I must say that it is cool what they have in that SUV, from the remote you can pull in/out the car from a parking spot, the gauges turn into monitors, when you signal, to see who is in the next lane, pano sunroof standard, cooled and heated seats, heated steering wheel, and this is not a Mercedes, or BMW, etc.
But, it feels big, heavy it is much slower, and it doesn't handle as well as ours.

·
Registered
17 Posts

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
A whole lot of the USA has to drive hours to reach a Porsche dealer. ..and when BMW, Mercedes and the rest were earning thier reputations....there were maybe 1/3 of the dealers there are now. Most people never even saw one back then. Rarity isnt bad and doesn't hamper anything.

Alfa's biggest problem is demonstrated right here in this "positive" article.

Writer says the brand is suffering plumetting sales..when actually the brand is growing while other brands are plummeting. Either the writer has no clue about the brands he writes about and just makes thing up to fill word count or is simply delivering what is requested by editorial and probably writing based on information provided by editiorial. Information that is a lie, maybe an accidental lie..still a lie. (Generally writers get an outline and background material from editorial and write based on that. Only the very most sucessful "journalists" actually do thier own research.)

The biggest problem Alfa has is the blatant bias and out right misreporting done by the automotive press. Misreporting, I might add, that never gets corrected. Which is why I call it lies.

Think about it...

Brand new cars launch..they dont even share a factory or assembly equipment with what came before..so the press immediatly calls them unreliable because of what came before. When is the last time you saw a ground-up redesign from any manufacturer immediatly called unreliablebecause of other models it shares nothing with? Easy, you havent..except Alfa. Not even Dodge gets that kind of press. Yugo was talked about better.

Head of the company says a new car is comming out on a different platform...the reporting focuses on the current platform being a failure..says it is discontinued...when no one ever said that. The incorrect reporting is covered by every major auto blog worldwide...the correction..is on one Italian site that requires translation.

Yeah..the bias is real. And IT is Alfa's main problem.

Unfortunatly till Stellantis can throw advertising dollars around and invite "journalists" to expensive locations and pay for everything... like Mercedes, BMW, and VAG...it won't change.

·
Registered
2019 TI SPORT ROSSO, NERO,HK,SUNROOF
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A whole lot of the USA has to drive hours to reach a Porsche dealer. ..and when BMW, Mercedes and the rest were earning thier reputations....there were maybe 1/3 of the dealers there are now. Most people never even saw one back then. Rarity isnt bad and doesn't hamper anything.

Alfa's biggest problem is demonstrated right here in this "positive" article.

Writer says the brand is suffering plumetting sales..when actually the brand is growing while other brands are plummeting. Either the writer has no clue about the brands he writes about and just makes thing up to fill word count or is simply delivering what is requested by editorial and probably writing based on information provided by editiorial. Information that is a lie, maybe an accidental lie..still a lie. (Generally writers get an outline and background material from editorial and write based on that. Only the very most sucessful "journalists" actually do thier own research.)

The biggest problem Alfa has is the blatant bias and out right misreporting done by the automotive press. Misreporting, I might add, that never gets corrected. Which is why I call it lies.

Think about it...

Brand new cars launch..they dont even share a factory or assembly equipment with what came before..so the press immediatly calls them unreliable because of what came before. When is the last time you saw a ground-up redesign from any manufacturer immediatly called unreliablebecause of other models it shares nothing with? Easy, you havent..except Alfa. Not even Dodge gets that kind of press. Yugo was talked about better.

Head of the company says a new car is comming out on a different platform...the reporting focuses on the current platform being a failure..says it is discontinued...when no one ever said that. The incorrect reporting is covered by every major auto blog worldwide...the correction..is on one Italian site that requires translation.

Yeah..the bias is real. And IT is Alfa's main problem.

Unfortunatly till Stellantis can throw advertising dollars around and invite "journalists" to expensive locations and pay for everything... like Mercedes, BMW, and VAG...it won't change.
Well said and some people will scan the article and conclude that the writer knows what he/she is writing about. When in reality the writer is not backing accusations with any solid data.smart people will see that.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Every car I own suffers from those comments above. Guess I don't listen to idiots. And they have all been VERY reliable.

Reactions: OhioF1 and Tmorr
1 - 20 of 38 Posts