Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Growing up GM, the surprising thing to me about the much vaulted BMW was the frequent rubber and plastic failures. I finally decided they use buna rubber instead of more durable viton rubber on their seals on purpose; either for service revenue or the apparent 'German way' of planned and expected overhaul at 80,000. X3 (E83) and 325xi (E46) were awesome drivers, but both had identical rubber and plastic issues: oil filter housing gasket, valve cover gaskets, intake manifold boots, CV joint boots, coolant overfill bottles, axle seals, O rings in hose connections, leaky thermostats...all at 80-100,000 miles. Waaay too much time under both those cars; though the second time around on each problem was less of a mystery.

Contrast that with an Escalade and Tahoe that made it 2x hard TRUCK miles (190,000+), both with moderate towing and lots of mountain dirt roads; only a heater hose quick fitting in the Esky, and an intake manifold gasket on the Tahoe.

My outright winner was a 96 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 3.4L V6: 200,000 SEVERE DUTY miles in 20 years...NOTHING but a $10 starter solenoid contact. Timing belt and water pump looked brand new at 200,000 when I changed them.

The Stelvio is a new and different chapter for me as I will probably not work on as deeply as previous cars (extended warranty) since I am now old and crochety. I declared no more German cars after the BMW's, but I may long for German reliability, commonality, and parts access before this is over :) . The Alfa is a bold experiment for a (former?) grease monkey. It is so sexy I hope it proves more reliable than a BMW !

·
Registered
23 Posts
"Lately, Hondas are not what they used to be"

I agree with this as well. I seem to be the walking exception to the Honda reliability rule...

·
Registered
2020 Stelvio Base RWD
122 Posts
Nobody looked into this camera, if there is a way to replace it? I know there is a round connector, which is not compatible with anything out there. Maybe somebody has the wiring schematic for it?
It is a 12V camera?

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Who is that ahole?? Should call him Dudley

Reactions: LIStelvio516

·
Registered
23 Posts
1) Anybody can have a website or a YouTube channel; most holders are NOT experts
2) Controversy sells and grabs clicks
3) Opinions are like.....

One of my favorite things over the years was to hear people trash talk C4 Corvettes in favor of say a McLaren 720...then see them in the parking lot driving a 15 year old Honda Civic with a pizza box in the back and a dent on every panel.

They know not what they do.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The software is a bit glitchy but thats a far cry from unrealiable. German cars....well I replaced a Mercedes with the Stelvio because I was spending basically a monthly payment on repairs and it had under 100k on it. The people on the Mercedes forum claiming that its because its so hi tech and you just dont understand how wonderful it it. If you can afford to keep it up your just a pleb. Whatever....If Ford can build a 30k vehicle that runs 200k with no major repairs why is my 80k Mercedes always in the shop. Stelvio hasnt seen a repair since i drove it off the lot.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I used to think technology was what made my car fast and handle well. LOL.

My other cars one is low tech and one no tech, and I guess the early ‘18 Ti is pretty low tech with no Nav or CarPlay. I am not a Luddite. I have a MacBook, the latest iPhone, AirPods, internet TV.

Need to take some of the “tech savvy” car idiot reviewers out behind the woodshed.

Reactions: Darth Stelvio

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Funny.

Due to the growth Alfa has experianced lately it has more of the North American market then Jaguar does. May not seem like much but not being the smallest mass-market manufacturer in North America is a big accomplishment actually.

If I didn't know better (I write, dripping with sarcasm)...I would suspect other manufacturers are planting negative coverage and trying to bury positive coverage (like the increases sales and quality ratings and that the Giorgio platform is not "dead")...but .... Nah...I mean we all KNOW automotive journalists and proffessional bloggers have too much integrity for that..plus the other manufactuers, like..they never get caught manipulating and cheating to get ahead...like... no way man.

I mean yeah it happened to brands like Tucker but that was a long time ago. Corporations are more honest now...not to mention the media.

Alfa increasing sales volume and pricing while delaying model intrductions for further refinment REALLY IS a sign they are lazy and failing.

While Porsche releasing a bunch of new models including the "long-awaited" EV, while experiancing drops in sales volume..shows they are a "winner".

And Telsa never making a profit shows they are "established". ..yeah ok.

....if you believe that drop me a message. I got this oil I can sell ya..cures everything.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Ghhhhnbgg

·
Registered
23 Posts
One extra sprinkling of sarcasm please and thank you Off Road!

also Woodshed.....nice one Peter A!

The sad thing is with the DPF (Dork Proliferation Factor) of YouTube and the interwebs now, many car critiques are about as unreadable / unwatchable as most movie critiques. Not sure I can praise PBS with a straight face, but you gotta love the tried and true formula of Motor Week in its 40th season: point out the bad stuff, but don't trash 'em. While its not in-depth, it is very generally accurate and fairly balanced. Motor Trend and Car and Driver were my long term in-depth gold standards before the Internet; there was about 25 years there where C&D staff were practicing State-of-the Art witty satire of the written word.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
My BMW X5 30D has a lot more fancy bits than my 2l stelvio but the stelvio is more fun to drive.
And a driveshaft waiting to explode along with DEF TANKS that will fail

21 - 38 of 38 Posts