Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I originally posted this is my Lotus Forum. Thjought it would be fair to add to the Alfa forum.I am lurking in Guilia forum presently but not active yet. Thought a 4C would make a great upgrade to the Miata and eventually replace my Evora.....

Being an Alfa Romeo owner over the years I thought it was time to experience the 4C.,
My first was a 1993 164L which was my wife's car for almost 10yrs and 88000 miles with only a ZF tranny seal replacement at 60K. We absolutely loved that car. Only FWD car I ever owned that made you forget it was FWD.
Currently I am into year 3 with my Stelvio TiSport. Again, one of my all time favorite vehicles (short of my Lotus!)

Having had lots of free time lately, hmmm wonder why?, and knowing my 2011 Evora S is not exactly new anymore, I am starting to look to the future. Between big Bdays and big Anniverseries, I have excuses lined up just in case. I have had 2 Evoras and loved both of them. I would really be intrigued with an Exige V6s...400...whatever but we all know that's not going to happen so if I wanted something lighter again..4C is it. Very intrigued with the GT but nothing tugged at me as hard as those first GT430 pics...maybe the final Evora edition, hmmmm.

So I went to my dealer in my Evora for direct seat time comparison.
First I drove a 2016 Coupe, with all the race goodies. Motor sounds great, tranny is fabulous, car is sexy as hell, damn fast to 100!! Sounds awesome I liked track exhaust better than $3100 akrapovic option btw and it's lighter.
Now the negatives.
Entry into a 4C makes getting in an out of my 2005 Elise seem easy.
It may be even louder inside than my Elise.
The big disappointment was the high speed handling. Actually this coupe had to have an issue as even at 65-75mph it was darty and unstable. We checked tire pressures but they were spot on so the alignment must have had an issue. Not impressed but it did have close to 40K miles on it. Was going to call it a day, but my Maserati guy said to the young Alfa Salesperson ->go get him the new 2020 spider. Check everything first please. I usually don't like to push new vehicles out of respect for the dealership but he insisted so I accepted. Love these guys!!
This one had EVERY piece of CF, Akropovic exhaust etc possible. 86K sticker!!! It immediately felt MUCH better at cruising speeds. Handling was quite stable and nice. So I opened it up a bit and that's when I again got disappointed. It was a breezy day so having had an Elise for 9 years, I knew the 4C would move around a bit. No biggie I thought. My Elise was rock solid at 120mph, if you straight line lifted it was calm etc. Not the 4C! It is very hyper and esp under braking, the rear end DOES NOT inspire confidence! My brain quickly was thinking this ride cold definitely bite me on a track! BUMMER the eye candy almost got me!! Finished my ride. Stared at it a while as it really is damn attractive and the CF tub etc is all the more alluring to a motor head. We talked a bit and I left.
It took about 5 minutes to be clear in mind on the way home that the Evora was a vastly better engineered chassis etc. Forget my assessment of my Elise. Elise v 4C and I just had a 2005 sport package car...I'd take my Elise for track duty anyday. Being a bit older now, I'd take my Evora anyday as well. The tactile things just work better in the Lotus cars. So mine is a bit slower. I would not be real happy on track at 120+mph in the 4C in a crosswind in the esses at WGI...something I do a lot of every season.
Fast forward several days. I decided to do some research on the 4Cs and come to find out, its not just me. It seems many folks lose confidence in the car as we cross 100mph and esp 200kph. Steering gets light. Rear feels like its swaying side to side etc. Steering didn't bother me as I had an Elise.But the other stuff was adeal breaker.
If I was just going out for a back road cruise, this sexy car would be a blast...but I have long term ulterior motives for these types of vehicles.

Moral of the story is GO DRIVE ANYTHING THAT INTERESTS YOU. Eye candy can fool you!

Up next. Guess I need to drive a Guilia Quad! Loved my students in the rain last year!! Making Lotus work hard for my continued devotion.

I'd love to hear feedback from some of the 4C owners on this forum. No disrespect for the 4C, I just came away underwhelmed. Lotus has spoiled me.

Registered
ViscontiVerdi, I'd suggest posting this in the 4C Forum to get the thoughts of 4C owners. As one myself, I do understand and appreciate your concerns with this particular Alfa. The 4C is not perfect, in my mind, right out of the box. It does need a few aftermarket modifications to tame the handling characteristics, for instance.

I think the easiest way to put it is the Alfa 4C is not for everyone, or even for very many. Who wants to pay $70-$80k for a brand new sports car and be told they need aftermarket goodies to make the handling match the rest of the car? This is especially true for a Lotus Elise owner who has perhaps the best handling car ever made at that price point. There's a reason the Lotus has won so many national championships in SCCA Solo II.

Even more common complaints we hear from the car-buying public is the lack of storage room, the lack of quality of the radio, the lack of quality of interior appointments. But one hopes one buys this not for those things, but for the exotic sports car look and feel one cannot otherwise get this side of a Ferrari, McLaren or Lamborghini, and from a marque (Alfa Romeo) that is tops in the world in my opinion. But these are all the same things Elise owners hear as well, I'm sure.

So for me it came down to the Elise or the 4C. As a long-time Toyota MR2 owner (owned 4 starting from 1986 until I sold the last one in 2019 when I bought my 4C), I've always seen the Lotus Elise as the spiritual successor to the MR2...and not simply because of the engine! So it seemed natural for me to buy one. And I strongly considered buying one twice. Instead, back in 2005 after much consideration I bought a Honda S2000. And looking again at purchasing either an Elise or a 4C (or a Cayman R) the past few years, my decision fell to the Alfa. And I'm someone who has lusted after Lotuses and Alfas since I got into cars in my teens. The Lotus Europa and the Alfa Duetto Spider were the end-all be-all for me back in the '70s.

Bottom line the Alfa Romeo 4C Spider is the perfect car for me. But it's definitely not for everyone. I wanted the Lotus Elise to be the perfect car for me, but after driving a couple, I found it wasn't after all. But for others I know it is. And that is all fine. Again, check out the 4C Forum if you are interested in hearing what others love (and hate) about the 4C.

Me? I 馃挌 Alfa Romeo

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Respect everything you said. Nothing else bothered me on the Alfa. Radio upgrades, if you need to are easy. Everything else was pretty damn awesome. It has the power I wish my Elise had (2005NA). But but one of the biggest and most important features of a sports car is the handling. It really flabbergasted me that they let it leave the factory so unstable at higher speeds. I now know how to fix it and wouldn't even take delivery without the addition of the caster blocks. Frankly, as simple a fix as it is, Alfa should do this at the factory for a few dollars/car. May actually help sales to be able to comment on improved high speed stability.

Registered
Good point about Alfa's apparent lack of concern over the high-speed handling. However, from what I understand they may have been more interested in low speed turn in capabilities by setting the alignment from the factory with significant toe out. And the stock PZeros don't help at all--as a matter of fact they exacerbate any high speed instability. High speed handling really can be helped to a large degree simply with different tires and a new alignment with toe set to zero or a few degrees in.

I think the Elise and the 4C would make excellent partners in someone's garage. Very complementary. For me the S2000 + 4C is that pair: I get the terrific handling and the superb manual transmission of the Honda plus the speed, beauty and exoticness of the 4C. Give me a car with all 4 and we are talking 2018+ Porsche GT3 prices.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Elise had no power steering yet they didn't compromise the handling. I thought steering was pretty easy on the 4C so if a correct setup added 10-20% ....I would have been more intrigued. After much thought, I have crossed it off the list.
#1 pricey for what you get. Loaded 4C is 86K +. Loaded Evora is 118-122K. Those are list prices. Even if I got 20% off a 4C it would be 68800. I have my eyes on a loaded 2018 Evora 400 that MSRP'd for 118K+. I know dealers with exact config cutting them loose for 79900. There is a lot more vehicle, stability, durability?etc in that extra 10K!
#2 I find their logic about factory setup inexcusable. Loved everything else
#3 No COUPE! (It was to be a track toy and I want a hardtop!) Maybe if I see one esp if its been corrected, I will revisit.

Registered
LOL! That may have been a typo....or maybe not? $C vs 4C... ;)

Just a note on price. I agree, $80k+ is a lot for a small sports car that isn't perfect out of the box. But if you shop around and can do without a few options, you can probably still find some pretty awesome deals on new 4Cs.

Mine is loaded except for the CF trim and CF halo (if the CF is only there for looks rather than to save weight, I'm not a big fan of it) and the Akrapovic exhaust (since I knew I was going to replace it anyway with a Capristo or Tubi Style one) and the metallic paint (since I wanted straight Alfa white). So all that saved about $10k.

I bought mine new in July 2019, a leftover one from 2018. The sticker pice was $75k and I got it for $55k out the door (no sales tax in Oregon)....a $20k savings. So for me, a never-been-sold, one year old car that had about 200 miles of dealer test drives on it made perfect sense for $55k. An $86k one with all the options, even with a nominal number of miles on the odometer, did not.

Evoras are wonderful cars. But if you ever do get the itch to join us $C owners, I hope you'll do so. I know you love Alfas as much as the rest of us!

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Stupid forum blocks me from correcting. I hate this new forum!!!

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Just rereading my thoughts. Learned a lot. Wife want \s to look at it. As sales are VERY soft right now, I may low ball them 20K and see if they bite. Part of the deal would also be for them to at least correct alignment. Ideally I'd have them install the caster blocks before they redid the alignment. It is a beautiful car and would give me that open top toy that could also visit a track once sorted out. How this revisit occurred was the decision to keep my 2011Evora S because its my all time favorite car, has run flawlessly and I am starting to upgrade it with motor mounts, new bushings, tranny links, etc The glass was removed last fall and replaced with the louvers so its the way it should have come from the factory IMHO. If she falls in love with it and decides to let go of her beloved Miata, we'll see.

Attachments

Registered
I have been to COTA 4 times and the 4C breaks 130 mph on the back straight. Handles great.

At 75 mph on the freeway I drive no hands to open a bottle of water. Steer with thighs - no problem.

Alignment is key.

I find the 4C easy to get in and and out of because I have long legs so get good leverage. And I am in my 70s.

Jeff

Registered
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
It limits your number of corrections over a 7-10 day period. I type lousy on my phone!

I called to let them know I was going to recheck it out and it has a deposit on it.....Wasn't meant to be Oh Well.
They have a Rosso Red 2015 LE Coupe that just came in with only 1850 miles for 49900. Wife doesn't want black seats. That 2020 had tobacco seats..that's what had her interested. Guess I'll just wait and see what the new Lotus is going to be.

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
Yup. Waiting to see what Lotus has up their sleeves as well as the Maserati which is supposed to be based on what the new 8C would have been. Makes more sense for it to be a Maserati anyway IMHO.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts