Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2018 stelvio 4cil turbo that my dad has been driving for the past 2 years but recently gave it to me in may, since then here’s what i’ve noticed going on in my car.
1. fuel gauge with the miles left on it until next gas fill up is never right
2. my car stalls terribly!!
3. after sitting at a red light then pressing gas it’ll jerk the car really hard
4. haven’t had one smooth stop no matter how fast or slow i’ve stopped
5. random warning lights, FCW, brake lights out, right turn signal out (it was working perfectly fine) and throttle control and auto start/stop off along with the battery light when first turning car on
6. if i speed up fast it’ll start smelling like burnt rubber
if anyone has had the same problems could tell me what’s going on it

·
Registered
115 Posts
Unfortunately most are common. The fuel gauges are rough estimates. Half a tank indicated is really about a third of a tank as i can fit 9 to 10 gallons in at half tank on the giulia. The takeoff can be delayed. The brakes can be non linear. Fir a smell on hard acceleration make sure you didnt leave a bolt out of the engine cover lid and inspect for oil residue around the turbo oil line. Thats burning oil....smells a bit skunky

·
156 Posts
When's the last time the car was serviced? Sounds like software updates were never applied. Also have the dealer check the battery - a low charge battery can cause some of these issues.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
there was a recall on the gas guage reading.
As mentioned the battery could be causing some other stuff, or it might need software updates.
Stalling is not normal or common.
As noted above, it sounds like your car hasn't been serviced (properly)
Your Jerky starts might be the auto start/stop, do you push the button to disable that?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Good suggestions on updates although the fuel guage is still going to be off. Mines a 2019 with all updates.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
there was a recall on the gas guage reading.
As mentioned the battery could be causing some other stuff, or it might need software updates.
Stalling is not normal or common.
As noted above, it sounds like your car hasn't been serviced (properly)
Your Jerky starts might be the auto start/stop, do you push the button to disable that?
yes, start/stop is always disabled as soon as i turn the car on

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When's the last time the car was serviced? Sounds like software updates were never applied. Also have the dealer check the battery - a low charge battery can cause some of these issues.
that would make sense, i believe it was last serviced this past february but only for an oil change

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Unfortunately most are common. The fuel gauges are rough estimates. Half a tank indicated is really about a third of a tank as i can fit 9 to 10 gallons in at half tank on the giulia. The takeoff can be delayed. The brakes can be non linear. Fir a smell on hard acceleration make sure you didnt leave a bolt out of the engine cover lid and inspect for oil residue around the turbo oil line. Thats burning oil....smells a bit skunky
that would make a lot of sense, it’s tricky trying to guess the gas cause it’s jumps everywhere and sometimes it drops big time from a 5 minute drive

·
235 Posts
that would make a lot of sense, it’s tricky trying to guess the gas cause it’s jumps everywhere and sometimes it drops big time from a 5 minute drive
Something wrong there. I've never seen the fuel level or the miles remaining jump around like that in my 2019 base Stelvio.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
If you mean it drops by 5 mile increments or so...and that when driving hard the mileage drops alot after 5 minutes.... Yeah, that's how it is. The engine does great in gas, drive hard though and that changes, alot, fast.

All cars test the various warning lights, illuminating some on the dash for a second or two when the car is started. How long are the lights staying on for?

Stalling terribly? Sounds like the auto start/stop "feature" try turning that off see if your problem goes away. Probably the same thing with jerking from a red light. My guess is you are hitting the gas hard while the car is starting which can cause it to lurch. Happens to me when I get impatient...which I shouldn't do.

Smooth stops take practice and full control of the brake pedal. Lots of tutorials and explainations of how to stop smoothly on the site.

Burning rubber smell when accelerating..don't know. Wonder at the variables. For instance driving hard right after starting the car could easily cause components like the turbo to get hot faster than the cooling system can deal with it (oil is still beginning to circulate). Which is why the owners manual says don't do that. Drive easy till the engine is warm, which means the oil is up to temp and circulating fully. Could be that is the source of your burning rubber smell. Maybe not too. Really need a better description of the variables.

IF the auto start/stop if off and the car stalls and/or jerks when accelerating from a stop, it needs to go to the dealer. Something is wrong there. May need a software update, may have something failing. Needs to be inspected.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Man - my first car cost me $500 bucks. Pretty cool of your Dad to gift you a Stelvio. Doesn’t sound like anything a good inspection, software reflash and new battery won’t reveal and fix.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts