Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
'18 TI Lusso AWD
912 Posts
Maybe you could edify some of us laymen, I think of Haldex, as a clutch pack in front of the rear diff, they were first just hydraulic, but now use more electronics to engage faster, and engages the pinion on the rear diff, (which may or may not have lsd) and most of the time is FWD, with little RWD bias, they used to be completely reactive. (illustration on far right for example)

Quatro in my limited understanding is just a mechanical torsen center diff, usually right in front of the prop shaft which may or may not be equipped with a LSD in the rear diff or front. It can be weighted slightly, and is typically RWD biased a bit.

Complicating the comparison a bit, is that any front or rear diff could have mechanical or electrical LSD, brake Anti spin, or torque vectoring added to the rear differential.

The Stelvio and BMW 5 is more like the center image below, and can be 100% rear biased, until the TC is engaged.
Here's a pic of our transfer case for reference.

Font Line Engineering Parallel Auto part
Toy Lego Military robot Machine Engineering

· Registered
'18 TI Lusso AWD
912 Posts
I should be clear that Maserati has built some crazy beautiful and successful racing and road cars. The recently ended GT that spawned the Alfa 8C is a gorgeous car. A GT car. Have to say that for me, there are a lot of Maserati buyers who just want a luxury brand. Maybe I am wrong.

My comment on Alfa’s heritage over Maserati is based on the history over a very long time across many distinct era building road and racing Cars, and doing an amazing number of one-offs and specials like the Montreal, the SZ, TZ, 8c and yes the 4C. Can’t really count the 33 Stradale, they only made 20. LOL
quick link for anyone interested in seeing some Alfa Romeo 8C / 4C / GTA / Montreal / Giulietta / Zagato - Davide Cironi Drive Experience - YouTube

1 - 3 of 3 Posts