Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Making its European debut at the 2017 Geneva Motor Show is the Alfa Romeo Stelvio Quadrifoglio.

Just adding a mid-sized SUV to the model lineup isn’t enough for Alfa Romeo, the Italian car manufacturer needed something to stand against its competitors in the segment. As Canadian boss Reid Bigland said last month; “the Stelvio is an Alfa Romeo first, and an SUV second.”

That’s where the Stelvio QV comes in with a 2.9-liter biturbo V6 engine. The powerplant can crank out 505 HP and 443 lb-ft of torque, enough to propel the vehicle from 0-100 km/h in just 3.9 seconds and max out at around 284 km/h. What’s even more impressive on paper is its 8-speed automatic gearbox which is expected to perform in as little as 100 milliseconds in Race Mode.

The Audi SQ5 and Mercedes-AMG GLC 43 just can’t compete with the Stelvio QV when it comes to power output and acceleration. Even the Porsche Macan Turbo lags behind in acceleration by around a second.

There’s also Eco Mode available for when you’re stuck in traffic and wanting to reduce emissions, save fuel, and increase efficiency. In this mode, the cylinder deactivation module will turn off half the cylinders.

Inside, the cabin is similar to the Giulia with shared buttons, flat-bottomed steering wheel, shift paddles and an infotainment system with Apple CarPlay and Android compatibility. Unfortunately, GTSpirit was not able to take any pictures of the Stelvio QV’s interior.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I really have no idea what I would do with 505 HP and 443 lb-ft of torque in a daily drive SUV so the QV model is probably staying off my options list. If the numbers are so similar between the Qv models in both the Giulia and Stelvio, can I assume that the same would apply for the basic models too?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I know what I would do with 505hp and 443 ft-lb of torque. Probably get me into a lot of trouble though. That is a safe to assume theory though, it would make their lives much easier and cheaper.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Then you should probably get the manual stelvio if possible, just stick to lower gears and it'll help you stay within a reasonable speed limit.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Manual just makes it worse since that feeds right into the whole experience of going fast.

Too bad they didn't state production numbers but if its anything like the Giulia then expect to be one of the few owners during launch year or wait till they release more of these.

·
Registered
139 Posts
In my opinion, I think a manual transmission would land @Finesse in more trouble. Manual transmission have a tendency to make people feel more race-driver like haha. Banging through gears is the best feeling ever!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Me thinks it looks mighty nice :)

I wonder what the trade-in/exchange price against a first edition is...?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Does anyone know if the vents on the hood or as the Brits call it, the bonnet, are purely decorative or whether they are functional as well? I would like to put that hood on the Stelvio ......

·
Registered
534 Posts
They are functional vents and would push engine heat out under speed. I do like them better on the Stelvio that the mesh ones on the Giulia.

I'm sure a body shop could cut those into an existing hood if you could buy the part.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
"when the Quad will get to the US"

I'll let you know when my order shows up on the tracking system - but a fair guess would be 3 months.

"the wheels I want"

seem to be the only choice right now.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Yes, those are the wheels I want! They make the car.
Those wheels are crazy .... COOL!!!

They are functional vents and would push engine heat out under speed. I do like them better on the Stelvio that the mesh ones on the Giulia.

I'm sure a body shop could cut those into an existing hood if you could buy the part.
Yeah I'm sure you can find a body shop to do it but i would rather just buy the hood itself and replace it.
As well as looking good, I think those vents can be extremely useful in hot climates like the Southwest.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
US testing at Circuit of the Americas out today, google and take your pic.
only 1 youtube of it, by a S. American journalist, not that good if you don't speak spanish.
there's a Autoscout youtube at Ascari (part 2) which is informative no matter what language you speak - grins and giggles don't need translation.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts

cars.com video

motor1 review states FCA is working on exhaust rerouting to rectify the hitch issue.
probably tougher for them with stated power/decibel/crash testing stuff than it would be for a muffler or hitch shop.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts