Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Matt Saunders from AutoCar took to UK roads in an Alfa Romeo Stelvio to find out if the automaker’s latest offering will satisfy the needs of SUV buyers.

Set to go on sale in the UK next month, the Stelvio will initially be offered with a 276bhp petrol and 207bhp diesel engine. Later on an entry level 177bhp diesel and a 197bhp petrol will be made available, though his test car is a left-hand drive 2.2-litre 207bhp diesel Stelvio.

As an Alfa Romeo vehicle, exceptional performance is expected from customers and the SUV certainly delivered that in spades. The diesel engine sounds refined at cruising revs and there’s plenty of torque with an 8-speed automatic gearbox is quick to engage and to fully lock up. What’s more, the vehicle’s stopping power and pedal response earned his praise.

Handling is keen and agile, surprisingly so around curvy roads and the SUV feels planted with very little, if any, body roll. Smooth roads is where the Stelvio really shines, though the car could feel a bit too reactive over uneven surfaces and bumps can cause the suspension springs to oscillate.

Overall, the Stelvio’s ride comfort and cabin isolation could be improved upon, but the SUV does make up for it with Giulia-like poise and engagement.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Autocar is generally not a fan of Italian cars so I'll take this review with a grain of salt, especially when it comes to ride comfort. They made it sound like you're sitting on rocks when the Stelvio drives over bumps and holes.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Its for reasons like what's mentioned throughout that article that I think Alfa should really put together driving experiences for new owners as that will further generate the sort of view needed of the brand when launching their first SUV

but at the same time they might not need that, still i think its vital.

·
Registered
146 Posts
One of their complaints is of the interior build quality, which is think is fine but the editor seems to think otherwise.

Like the Giulia’s, the Stelvio’s cabin quality is passable but certainly isn’t on a level with most of its premium-brand opposition.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts