Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Well, at least those who haven’t had a chance to test drive a 2018 Alfa Romeo Stelvio yet.

Without a test drive, most would assume that it’s simply a lifted Giulia with a few tweaks and they’re not wrong. MotorTrend was certainly impressed when they were given a Stelvio Ti Sport to test drive around some canyons. Equipped with a turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder, the engine cranks out 280 hp and 306 lb-ft of torque. Paired with a ZF eight-speed automatic transmission, the SUV can sprint from zero to 60 mph in 5.4 and eat up a quarter mile in 14.0 seconds.

This is all well and good if you’re hitting the track, but that’s not always the case especially if the Stelvio is to be your daily driver. Some may think every pothole will be felt through the car’s sporty suspension, but it soaks up horrible road conditions surprisingly well, though it’ll still have a firm ride.

But what of its power delivery and handling at low speeds you ask?

There’s no fear of jerkiness during your daily commute in rush hour so long as you’re in “N” mode. “It’s as easy to drive in traffic or on a long highway commute as any luxury SUV”, Scott Evans claims. That complicated gas and brake pedal dance won’t spill a drop of coffee and the Stelvio is more than happy to slowly chug along in bumper to bumper traffic.

Though the Stelvio does have some quirks that a few MotorTrend editors aren’t a fan of, overall it’s everything one would expect from Alfa Romeo.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Thankfully cars like this come with an adaptive suspension setup which means a lot of our concerns are taken out, along with other dynamic systems. If it wasn't for this odds are all the Stelvio would have left for good city driving are tire options.

·
Registered
40 Posts
None of their mentioned issues are issues for me.

I like the Stelvio, but it is maybe just a bit too small to drive clients around in.

Jeff

·
Registered
146 Posts
Not really a mind blowing factor, ultimately the Stelvio is an SUV and there's a general level of daily driveability most have some to expect from the segment. May as well for for a Jeep trackhawk if all you want is pure power in an SUV body.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Car is fantastic had mine 2 weeks and I am ecstatic so much better than the two Fpaces I have rejected in the last 12 months.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Stelvio Base 20" yellow calipers
1,504 Posts
Mind = blown. After 9 weeks I still wake up thinking about what's in the garage downstairs and look over my shoulder after parking it and get all tingly walking out to any parking lot to drive it. To me that is the test of a great vehicle-- pick all the nits you want but the sum of the whole vehicle is beauty in motion opposed to a few quirks and omissions in the feature set.

Reactions: WoodstockDude

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
The bar has been raised for sportiness in SUVs with a discerning look

1 - 8 of 8 Posts