Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I remember reading about those Navy touchscreen controlled ships...absolute disaster....and notice no one has put one in an airplane....(have they?)

Will say, at my seating position I can "touch" my screen without leaning forward in my seat...so...theres that....

My real question is why no haptic feedback? I had that on the touchscreen Alpine headunit in my Eos...of course that was aftermarket...in 2007.....

·
Registered
436 Posts
Just spent 15 rental days in a car with touchscreen... can’t do anything even as simple as changing the frigging radio station without taking my eyes off the road.

I want my Alfa back really badly. Couple more weeks since they are going to make sure to bake my paint dry so I can immediately PPF.

·
Registered
17 Posts
It all depends on the system. Uconnect is quite good. I loved using it and it was simple and I didn’t need to take my eyes off the road.
Other systems not so much.

BMW has it the best with iDrive. It’s a more complete and fleshed out system since it went through it’s years of growing pains.

When our x3 lease was up I was able to sell my wife on the Alfa because she hates touchscreen and really loved her idrive. The Alfa, as we know, bears similarities. It’s not quite as good as idrive (2020 should help) but I like it.
Having touch/rotary should be a nice combo. Using CarPlay is better with touch as that’s how it’s interface is designed. I’ve used it with idrive and now Alfa so I’m used to to scrolling around to get what I want but it’s inefficient with the knob.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I can't stand touch screens in cars and I'm very happy that alfa left the jog dial as an option. I wouldn't consider upgrading to the 2020 if they didn't.

First, I can't stand having greasy fingerprints all over the screen. The thought of it makes me cringe.

Second, they are more dangerous. In my opinion It's no different than using a phone while driving, which is a no no. It's not like a mechanical knob that you can reach for without even really looking at it. With the touch screen you not only have to take your eyes off the road but you have to use eye hand coordination to be precise, which takes concentration and is a distraction. I hate them. Just because you can put something in a car, doesn't mean you should.

I honestly think manufacturers use touch screens in cars because "car tech" is big right now and people buy into it, not because it makes the car better.

I drove an Acura TLX with two screens, one was a touch screen for all of the controls for radio, A/C, etc. It was very clumsy and distracting - don't use your handheld touch device, that's dangerous....use this built-in touch device instead. No thanks. And did I mention FINGERPRINTS?!

·
Registered
191 Posts
I posted something similar a while back, but my ideal world is what we have now with the dial and the nice clicky positive stops and a touchscreen. While the car is moving, I can navigate Android Auto with just slight glances at the screen due to muscle memory and being able to feel the clicks -- I wouldn't want to mess with a touch screen while moving. But when stopped, you can't beat the speed of a touchscreen and that is the point where our system feels clunky.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I posted something similar a while back, but my ideal world is what we have now with the dial and the nice clicky positive stops and a touchscreen. While the car is moving, I can navigate Android Auto with just slight glances at the screen due to muscle memory and being able to feel the clicks -- I wouldn't want to mess with a touch screen while moving. But when stopped, you can't beat the speed of a touchscreen and that is the point where our system feels clunky.
I think Mazda disables the touchscreen after a given speed if i remember correctly and you're left with just the dial. When stopped or within that speed cutoff, touch is enabled again. I didn't mind this. To be honest after a few months, I'm with you, nothing beats muscle memory and getting to the important areas on the infotainment.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I think Mazda disables the touchscreen after a given speed if i remember correctly and you're left with just the dial. When stopped or within that speed cutoff, touch is enabled again.
That's a good system and all touchscreens should be designed to do this imo. Now if they can do something about all those fingerprints and greasy smudges :unsure:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I definitely disagree here. Anyone who has used CarPlay or Android Auto in a car with touchscreen knows it's a night and day difference from using it in the Stelvio. I can run circles around someone who is trying to do things as basic as selecting an option/navigating through menus in these systems in their Stelvio vs the touchscreen infotainment system in my other car. Alfa is very aware of this fact which is one of several reasons why they changed this in their 2020 models.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Monte. You might need to learn what the Navy has discovered...touchscreens do NOT belong in a car or any moving vehicle...even at Destroyer level they have been sited as accident Cause. I too hate the greasey screens,. I think they did a great job with the Idrive plaguerism. If that is the 2020, guess mine is even more of a keeper till the industry gets over the current infection. I'd rather have the old school buttons in my Maserati GTS than a touchscreen. Range Rover has done good job, but it IS a Distraction.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts