Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All Season tires for your Quad.
Same height as OEM (29") Amazing price! $110
Will be a little wider in front. 275 vs 255.
Rear will be a little narrower 275 vs 285.
I have them on mine. No problems.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just purchased Continental extremeContact DSW06. 255 up from 295 in the back. Got them at NTB. Just at 1k$ For everything. Will try to sell my OEM Pzeros. Any takers?!?!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just purchased Continental extremeContact DSW06. 255 up from 295 in the back. Got them at NTB. Just at 1k$ For everything. Will try to sell my OEM Pzeros. Any takers?!?!
Not a taker, but a question. I was considering these same Continentals in 295/40/20 and 265/45/20. What 255 profile did you get?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have on order,
Pirelli Scorpion Zero A/S+ rear is one size wider 295/40R20, same size front. Four $1220 installed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
For the guys running larger diameter rears (295/40) with the standard diameter OEM (255/45)...any issues for the drivetrain? I am new to this vehicle...is there a transfer case to be concerned about with the rears turning fewer RPMs than the fronts?

I was looking at 295/40 in back and 265/45 in front for the same diameters.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
The center diff is designed to allow slip between the front and rear, however it is designed for the front wheels to be turning slower. It's how the car continues to feel RWD biased even in full AWD.

Might change the driving dynamics for the worse, but doubt anything will break.

·
Registered
90 Posts
For the guys running larger diameter rears (295/40) with the standard diameter OEM (255/45)...any issues for the drivetrain? I am new to this vehicle...is there a transfer case to be concerned about with the rears turning fewer RPMs than the fronts?

I was looking at 295/40 in back and 265/45 in front for the same diameters.
My size I posted above is just 10mm wider...nothing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My size I posted above is just 10mm wider...nothing.
Your rear tires are only 10 mm wider.....but now they are 0.31" larger in diameter than the OEM rears while the fronts are still at OE height. I cannot find any definitive comments from Alfa on acceptable front to rear dimensional differences with respect to strain on the center differential. Maybe this is a service manager question.

295mm x 0.40 x 2 / 25.4mm/in + 20" = 29.29"
285mm x 0.40 x 2 / 25.4mm/in + 20" = 28.98"

·
Registered
135 Posts
Your rear tires are only 10 mm wider.....but now they are 0.31" larger in diameter than the OEM rears while the fronts are still at OE height. I cannot find any definitive comments from Alfa on acceptable front to rear dimensional differences with respect to strain on the center differential. Maybe this is a service manager question.

Fix that by going 265 front (29.4) and 295 rear (29.3)

·
Registered
90 Posts

Yes you are correct, I should have mentioned that. Higher in the rear will tend to make a car over steer of the ass end coming around. .31 is like about 1/4 of an inch, not big deal eiather.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Yes you are correct, I should have mentioned that. Higher in the rear will tend to make a car over steer of the ass end coming around. .31 is like about 1/4 of an inch, not big deal eiather.
A few years ago I tried to do the same thing in a G35 coupe....and it was a BIG change handling wise.....they lasted less than 24 hours in the car....but that was a rear wheel drive car, maybe with the Stelvio is different, let us know....

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
wider in front, narrower in back, so likely more/more often (but never more than ...) power transfer to the front end.
so if pushing, it might seem like less rwd bias than with stock sizing. driven moderately I would expect not much difference except slightly higher steering effort. with all the "based on traction' nannies, varying by mode, I think it would be pretty hard to notice the difference except when using R.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Lots of things to consider when lookin at tire changes. Clearly the 265/45 and 295/40 Continental all season set-up is no comparison to the OE 255/45 and 285/40 Pirelli summer rubber in terms of sheer performance and crisp feel. The larger continentals are softer and a little less responsive feeling. I am not tracking this rig and won't push it hard enough to make a difference which tires I use. I will still have lots of fun, though, on my daily 25 minute commute. This daily driver can see temperatures as high as 100F in the summer and as low as 0F in the winter. It will see some snow, some ice, and some 50's and 60's in winter months. It sees a lot of pavement that is just not good. The new tires have transformed the ride into something really quite good for daily all around use. Honestly, the Pirellis were too rough for me. The new tires look good in the wheel wells. This all comes at the expense of loss of a little responsiveness....and every other loss I will probably never realize anyway. Racers probably need not apply.

I used to do the summer / winter change-overs for years on a Z28, Thunderbird, and a Magnum (770HP supercharged 426 HEMI built by Arrington in Martinsville, VA). I have settled into using a really solid all-season tire and calling it a day. I am not a believer in beaters. I bought it; I driving it!

I will put some lightly used OE Pirellis up for sale after the first of the year. I don't want them. They will be priced right.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
the more focused a tire gets for specific conditions the quicker it's performance falls off when outside those parameters.
a quality All Season like continental is really good all the time, and likely better than most winter/summers during spring and fall.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I had the Pirelli All Seasons installed a week ago. Front are the same size, rears are about 1/4 taller and 1/4 wider than the stock size. I can tell you I now know why Alfa put the P Zeros summer on the car, they handle like a razor blade and wanted people to experience the car to its fullest potential.

After a few hundred miles;
  1. Handling was a 10---it's now a 8 1/2, still great, 1 half clicks duller.
  2. Tires are smoother over every surface and quiet they are new. Reviews are the get nosier when worn. Old P Zero Summer sounded like I had bad front wheel bearings.
  3. High Speed handling is exactly the same.
  4. Braking is exactly the same.
  5. Overall if your using this car is your daily driver you want the all seasons unless you live in the southern US. Best of both words is to get a winter tires and rims but what a PITA.
My tire dealer told me the Pirelli A/S has a harder sidewall then the Continental DWS, he said would handle sharper. I'm not saying one tire is better than the other, I have no idea, just relaying info.
Alfa wheel.jpg

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had the Pirelli All Seasons installed a week ago. Front are the same size, rears are about 1/4 taller and 1/4 wider than the stock size. I can tell you I now know why Alfa put the P Zeros summer on the car, they handle like a razor blade and wanted people to experience the car to its fullest potential.

2. Tires are smoother over every surface and quiet they are new. Reviews are the get nosier when worn. Old P Zero Summer sounded like I had bad front wheel bearings.
  5. Overall if your using this car is your daily driver you want the all seasons unless you live in the southern US. Best of both words is to get a winter tires and rims but what a PITA.
My tire dealer told me the Pirelli A/S has a harder sidewall then the Continental DWS, he said would handle sharper. I'm not saying one tire is better than the other, I have no idea, just relaying info. View attachment 17776 View attachment 17777 View attachment 17778
View attachment 17779
Rock it, I really like your choice on size and setup on tires. The fact they give you a softer ride with crappy roads everywhere now a days, sounds like a win win. I have the same quad and Living up here in New England my p zeros aren’t cutting it at all. With your great review, I may just go out and buy a set this week. Thanks so much. Enjoy that beautiful machine. James

·
Registered
90 Posts
Rock it, I really like your choice on size and setup on tires. The fact they give you a softer ride with crappy roads everywhere now a days, sounds like a win win. I have the same quad and Living up here in New England my p zeros aren’t cutting it at all. With your great review, I may just go out and buy a set this week. Thanks so much. Enjoy that beautiful machine. James

My tire dealer told me the Pirelli A/S has a harder sidewall then the Continental DWS, he said would handle sharper. I'm not saying one tire is better than the other, I have no idea, just relaying info. View attachment 17776 View attachment 17777 View attachment 17778
View attachment 17779
Update

At about 900 miles the tires started to handle better, it turns in sharper. At 1000 miles like I have on now they are even better, the Summer tires were a 10 and the A/S are a 9 to 9 1/2.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts