Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my parents have asked me what I want for Christmas. Having just taken delivery of my new Quad, I was of a mind to send them the entirety of the Alfa Romeo accessories catalog, because I'm the kind of guy that's a magpie for useless ****. :LOL:

One thing that caught my eye is the Aluminium Fuel Cap, compatible for all models of Giulia and Stelvio. I really want one. Question is: Who here has one? Any gripes? Comments?

I've done some reading in the Giulia owners forums and there's one gripe about how it doesn't quite sit in the cap holder properly whilst refuelling, so people are worried about it hanging loose and dinting/scratching the paintwork. That said, having seen the pics of the solutions people have for resting the cap, I've noticed the Giulia cap holder is different to the 2022 Stelvio's.

So I figured I'd ask you lot: Do you have one? Do you like it? Is it worth it? Any complaints or gripes?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does anyone's cap sit well in the holder whilst fueling? I know my cap kind of sets there, out of the way, but not exactly nestled in there perfectly. Of course I've never bothered to take the time to position it perfectly.
Mine will sit there if I make it do so, but I found it easier to just hook the cord around the holder so the cap is suspended. It's away from the bodywork at least.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have the aluminum cap and while it does not rest in the holder, I simply place it on edge beside the filler neck. That keeps it out of the way and off the bodywork. Love the solid engagement when you close it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Im in the only state in the union that does not allow you to pump your own gas.
Attendants struggle to unscrew it has the initial torque required is much heavier than normal, and as discussed above they have no idea how to set it on the holder. I typically do both for them as its painful to watch.

·
Registered
2020 Stelvio TI
512 Posts
Attendants struggle to unscrew it has the initial torque required is much heavier than normal, and as discussed above they have no idea how to set it on the holder. I typically do both for them as its painful to watch.
New Jersey?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I read on the Giulia forums that people in NJ wouldn't get this cap mainly because they wouldn't trust attendants to not be clumsy with the cap and dint the paintwork.

Reading up on the self-serve (out)law in NJ is wild, incidentally. They point out that gas stations see this as "part of the customer experience" (as opposed to an adherence to the Retail Gasoline Dispensing Safety Act) and that whilst NJ consequently has higher gas prices than in other States, "it is not something that appears to bother New Jersey residents at all who enjoy having gas attendants tend to their vehicles when it is time to fuel up".

And yet every NJ resident I've spoken to have said it's a PITA. :LOL:

·
Registered
2020 Stelvio TI
512 Posts
Yeah, I read on the Giulia forums that people in NJ wouldn't get this cap mainly because they wouldn't trust attendants to not be clumsy with the cap and dint the paintwork.

Reading up on the self-serve (out)law in NJ is wild, incidentally. They point out that gas stations see this as "part of the customer experience" (as opposed to an adherence to the Retail Gasoline Dispensing Safety Act) and that whilst NJ consequently has higher gas prices than in other States, "it is not something that appears to bother New Jersey residents at all who enjoy having gas attendants tend to their vehicles when it is time to fuel up".

And yet every NJ resident I've spoken to have said it's a PITA. :LOL:
Wow, last time I got gas in NJ was probably 30 years ago before returning a rental car by EWR. Amazing that you still can’t pump your own gas! Have to say though that I can understand why a lot of people might appreciate having an attendant pumping their gas in pouring rain and cold.

·
Registered
551 Posts
"Say you're from New Jersey without saying you're from New Jersey" meme is appropriate for this
:)

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio Ti Montecarlo Blue
460 Posts
Wow, last time I got gas in NJ was probably 30 years ago before returning a rental car by EWR. Amazing that you still can’t pump your own gas! Have to say though that I can understand why a lot of people might appreciate having an attendant pumping their gas in pouring rain and cold.
I remember living in Oregon and having to have my gas pumped.
It may be nice to have them pump the gas in the rain and cold, but where I was, they didn't take money for the gas, so you still had to get out of the car and walk through the rain to go pay inside. 😅

·
Administrator
693 Posts
I thought Oregon had some exceptions now, NJ is holding firm
You are right. A few counties in the eastern desert part of the state are now allowed to have self serve gas. The reason was that there are so few people, that it was hard to find anyone to be gas station attendants. And there are so few people, that the number of customers per day is very small.

In eastern Oregon that are 3 counties with a population density of 1 person per square mile, and 4 with 2 people per square mile. There are 11 counties with fewer than 10 people per square mile.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have a local Shell station here in NJ. Been going there for years, and the owner lets me pump my own. Sometimes the hired attendants look puzzled when I do; but they're probably happy to let me. In bad weather I'm happy to defer to the attendant.

·
Registered
2019 Stelvio TI Sport
43 Posts
I worked at a station in NJ in HS. Occasionally, some expensive care would come in and the owner would want to do it himself (I remember a corvette specifically). We'd let them. Same for bikes. I grew up there and gas wasn't any more expensive than the surrounding states, as I recall. I always chalked it up to the refineries being right there. A lot my relatives actually appreciate it, particularly in bad weather or when dressed up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
New Jersey has created generations of people
ill-prepared for life outside of the state. Without exageration, there are people that are completely clueless and intimidated when they travel out of state or to a foreign country and are required to pump their own gas.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts