Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont know, maybe it's me, or maybe it's that I'm, honeymooning, but am I the only one on this site that gravitated towards the car because its NOT ANYTHING like the competition. I have read soooo many posts where members are comparing the interior or the technology to Audi, BMW, Volvos and Mercedes(and the typical vanilla Japanese fare). I bought this car for the very reason that it is nothing like the rest. Its the same reason I bought my other Alfas back in the day when the cars were no nearly reliable as they are today. For me it represents individuality. I like driving a car that you won't see on every corner. I like driving a car that puts its emphasis on driving, and not on gimmicks, AR has always represented this to me. This isn't intended to preach, we all buy cars for different reasons, and I respect that. I just want to see if Im alone on this.

·
Registered
534 Posts
You are not alone, we've all come to this conclusion or we would have bought a driving appliance.

A manufacturer like Alfa is based on selling vehicles that stir the emotion and make you feel like a kid when the training wheels come off.
Nothing else I test drove made me feel like the Stelvio and that's why I've been waiting since September!

·
Registered
542 Posts
I dont know, maybe it's me, or maybe it's that I'm, honeymooning, but am I the only one on this site that gravitated towards the car because its NOT ANYTHING like the competition. I have read soooo many posts where members are comparing the interior or the technology to Audi, BMW, Volvos and Mercedes(and the typical vanilla Japanese fare). I bought this car for the very reason that it is nothing like the rest. Its the same reason I bought my other Alfas back in the day when the cars were no nearly reliable as they are today. For me it represents individuality. I like driving a car that you won't see on every corner. I like driving a car that puts its emphasis on driving, and not on gimmicks, AR has always represented this to me. This isn't intended to preach, we all buy cars for different reasons, and I respect that. I just want to see if Im alone on this.
There is a difference between being different and just plain cutting corners on basic electronics/technology that are expected in new vehicles today. People like technology and want the latest and greatist ( iphone for example). I would be more willing to accept the lack of the above if this was a quad or something that's more a true "sports vehicle" but at this price point and who they are competing with, customers are going to expect some of that technology to be available. For most people this vehicle is a daily driver which comes with certain expectations, not a weekend/special occasion car. The fun driving dynamics can only carry you so far in this vehicle class. Just my opinion and I feel I represent the demographic very well as to which this vehicle is marketed.

·
Registered
241 Posts
You are not alone. I bought the Stelvio (well my wife wanted it, and she gets what she wants) precisely because it is different.

The Stelvio is an undiscovered jewel and is the antithesis of the Japanese brands and a breath of fresh air compared to the European brands.

Forza Alfa!

·
Read Only
849 Posts
I bought this car for some reasons, first alfa suv, new car, beautifull, powerfull.....

history ??? ok
legend ??? could be
sport status symbol? probably not

Good price for my old fiat 500X and extra good price for the new Stelvio.

in this moment with all the issues in this last year my love is a little bit less big

·
Super Moderator
2018 Stelvio Base 20" yellow calipers
1,504 Posts
I tend to bond with my cars- and the small imperfections are only minimal to the sum of all of the parts. Maybe I'm still in the 'honeymoon' phase of ownership but every day can't wait to get in it and enjoy the ride.

I have observed 'others' nitpicking every perceived flaw (and one poster suggested that maybe it was my first luxury car and I didn't know what luxury buyers expect LOL) and my appreciation is not diminished one iota. As said before, Stelvio touches all of the emotions and senses- art in motion. Perfection is boring, numbing, and self-defeating. Of course quality matters but the differentiation of the brand is perfect in a sea of lemmings.

What Marc0209 said.

Reactions: WanderingDane

·
Registered
542 Posts
Italians tend to have a sense of style and design that is not influenced by what others think. I really hope Alfa USA does not infect Alfa with demands for the Stelvio to be like the "perfect", yet totally sterile Lexus vehicles.
I don't think anyone is asking for them to change the design or performance of the vehicle, but they seriously need to do something about their technology/electronics. Is it too much to ask for a backup camera that doesn't look like you're looking through a flip phone from 12 years ago? Or a navigation system that works and shows traffic? Or parking sensors that don't annoy the **** out of you even when you're just sitting in park? Or ways to defeat the auto start/stop permanently along with traction control and stability control? Or a seat that tilts? Among other things. Would having these things really make the Stelvio sterile? No, it would just make it closer to perfect. Why wouldn't they strive for having a perfect vehicle and why wouldn't you want that? Being sub par in these areas and calling it good enough isn't going to win them new customers that are buying those other European and Japanese brands and I want to see Alfa stick around for a while. They don't need to lead the pack with their technology but they need to be competitive in that department. I've very vocal on this board about these issues because I'm hoping Alfa sees this and can take the criticism as constructive. I'd love to buy another one in 2 years when my lease is up but if they don't fix those basic things, I'll be looking elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
We compare to the German appliances (Telefunken U46 comes to mind) to show we don't like driving an appliance. BTW, Do you see any appliances on my sig list besides the old Ascender that lives it life rusting away in Maine?

·
Registered
86 Posts
As a Mustang person, I feel so lame for any mention of the needs for technology/electronics! I want a lighter car ounce by ounce.

****, if I can, I would have opted for a Stelvio that is 300 lbs lighter, with manual transmission, cloth seat, no sunroof, no radio, no A/C (just saying) ...

Alfa throws in a carbon fiber driveshaft and a Brembo brake system and you are complaining about electronics ;) Tell me another car company that makes these items standard?

If you think electronics are more important than such performance upgrades, you bough the wrong car.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As a Mustang person, I feel so lame for any mention of the needs for technology/electronics! I want a lighter car ounce by ounce.

****, if I can, I would have opted for a Stelvio that is 300 lbs lighter, with manual transmission, cloth seat, no sunroof, no radio, no A/C (just saying) ...

Alfa throws in a carbon fiber driveshaft and a Brembo brake system and you are complaining about electronics ;) Tell me another car company that makes these items standard?

If you think electronics are more important than such performance upgrades, you bough the wrong car.
Well Put Liv... I feel Alfa was true to their race heritage in this design, of course the Quad more so, but the Stelvio is very much a "sports" SUV, especially with the sports package. You see it in the design, and feel it in the way it drives.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes, you are crazy ... a crazy genius! I love my Stelvio. My 14-yr-old summed it up the other day as he climbed in 3 months after I bought it, “this car is as cool as the day we got it!”. Enough said.

·
Registered
542 Posts

I didn't say electronics are more important but for this class of vehicle it's still important. It's a small luxury SUV competing with Audi, Mercedes, Lexus, BMW, to name a few. It's not a pure race car. Why would you buy an SUV then if performance is your #1 and only priority and you want it as stripped down as possible? An actual car designed for the track would have made more sense in that case. This is a vehicle built for daily driving, not racing. That doesn't mean it still can't be fun to drive but let's be real here, 99% of the people who purchase this vehicle will never go out and race it. Brembo is for marketing purposes only. My last vehicle had just as big of rotors and the same number of pistons and that was in a lighter car!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I tend to bond with my cars- and the small imperfections are only minimal to the sum of all of the parts. Maybe I'm still in the 'honeymoon' phase of ownership but every day can't wait to get in it and enjoy the ride.

I have observed 'others' nitpicking every perceived flaw (and one poster suggested that maybe it was my first luxury car and I didn't know what luxury buyers expect LOL) and my appreciation is not diminished one iota. As said before, Stelvio touches all of the emotions and senses- art in motion. Perfection is boring, numbing, and self-defeating. Of course quality matters but the differentiation of the brand is perfect in a sea of lemmings.

What Marc0209 said.
Well put, I also believe a car can be so much more than just a way to get from A to B. I will never forget when I walked into an Alfa dealer for the first time around 1992. There sat a minty red 1988 Milano QV with Momo wheels. I was hooked. As I drove from the dealer he turns to me and says don't forget to drive the **** out of this car, it was not meant to be babied. This sort of sums it all up in my mind. I think there is a "demographic" of us out there the feel this way. In my case its a 2 year old an another on the way. I never even thought I would buy an SUV..untill the Stelvio came in. I couldn't be more pleased. I realize it is important that this is where "demographics" collide. It is clear that the luxury sport market is large, and there are buyers looking at the Stelvio in comparison to other vehicles in the segment, and some may find it lacking in some areas. I guess the best case scenario is that Alfa finds a way to please them all. In the mean time I'm just going to continue to enjoy mine just as it is.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Am I the crazy one

My wife and I tried out the Lexus RX350, Volvo XC60 and Stelvio last. Also went to Jag dealer to try out an F-Pace but they onlly had diesels on the lot so just sat in it (wasn't interested in diesel) because all the gas models were in the shop for software updates (took weeks to do update, weird, that concerned me and they never called me back when the gas models were available). Was going to wait to try out the Lincoln Nautilus (update coming summer 2018) but after driving the Stelvio I knew they wouldn't be able to match that, sorry Matthew McConaughey. So the Lexus didn't make the cut it was so boring, bulky and not fun to drive. Volvo was definitely better than the Lexus, well appointed, peppier (316HP) and more fun to drive. When I tried out the Stelvio I knew I had something different. Handling was edgier, tighter, sports car like and totally fun to drive. 36 less HP than the Volvo but more zip, wow. Liked the console layout better too. All the other brands have these bulky dividing line/wall consoles separating the driver and passenger. Stelvio console was lower, less intusive, more sports car/sedan like. Wife liked it better too. She was turned off by the Volvo control console (Tesla like) that was too busy to manage while driving (have to lean/reach forward to run it). While I wish the Stelvio was as well appointed (dressier) as the Volvo and had that $3K upgraded Bowers & Wilkins stereo system (very clean sound), hopefully the future will bring those improvements (just hope they don't move as slowly as Ford/Lincoln, not to mention I'll miss Sweetness's posts). Meanwhile, I'll just have to live with the $10K I saved over the Volvo. Every decision has its cons and pros.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I don't think anyone is asking for them to change the design or performance of the vehicle, but they seriously need to do something about their technology/electronics. Is it too much to ask for a backup camera that doesn't look like you're looking through a flip phone from 12 years ago? Or a navigation system that works and shows traffic? Or parking sensors that don't annoy the **** out of you even when you're just sitting in park? Or ways to defeat the auto start/stop permanently along with traction control and stability control? Or a seat that tilts? Among other things. Would having these things really make the Stelvio sterile? No, it would just make it closer to perfect. Why wouldn't they strive for having a perfect vehicle and why wouldn't you want that? Being sub par in these areas and calling it good enough isn't going to win them new customers that are buying those other European and Japanese brands and I want to see Alfa stick around for a while. They don't need to lead the pack with their technology but they need to be competitive in that department. I've very vocal on this board about these issues because I'm hoping Alfa sees this and can take the criticism as constructive. I'd love to buy another one in 2 years when my lease is up but if they don't fix those basic things, I'll be looking elsewhere.
Perfection. An elusive state of being. That is what Lexus and Toyota strive for, at what I think are reasonable prices- but they both appeal to the LCD (lowest common denominator). I am a very harsh critic of design- but the Stelvio's foibles don't bother me- I do admit to yelling at the park sensor beeping- but indeed I am VERY easily annoyed.

IMO perfection in an SUV at $50,000 is not possible. Porsche produces what I consider perfection- but a Macan S (performance equivalent to Stelvio) is at least $15,000 to $20,000 more- and does not look as good as a Stelvio.

And if the Stelvio was perfect, every Joe and Jane would own one- just like the myriad fine Toyota and Lexus SUVs I see everyday- and ignore because they blend into the environment so easily. Peace to those who disagree - after all this is mostly an opinion board.

·
Registered
536 Posts
something that still amazes me, I can be in a parking lot full of audi bmw mercedes suvs and yet people walk up to talking about what a great looking car it is, etc.

Probably in the minority but don't give a squat about the latest and greatest electronic gizmos (all things that will fail eventually anyway and cost a fortune to fix). More interested in the looks and performance myself, coming from a long line of Lotus a couple ferraris and an aston.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
SUV has been a dirty word up till now for many folks. Many of these anti -SUV hardcores are completely ignorant to the current state of the auto industry. The 3 box sedan (saloon) was a people mover design and trunk space was always the family limiter Forget the fact that in the 21st century you don't go to Costco to buy a 27 inch CRT TV set, you go to pick up a new 65 inch OLED set in 4K. They are bigger!!! 25years ago, the body on frame, dodgy handling, gas swilling , manually engaged 4wd powertrain with maybe 150hp was all you got. Handling was lousy at best, **** they tipped over a fair amount (never mentioned anymore!)
Flash forward 25 years.

Unibody design, serious weight reduction measure including what a decade ago was F1 technology-->CARBON FIBER DRIVESHAFT. 280hp IS DOUBLE THAT OF AN OLD 4.0L EXPLORER. Mileage has doubled. I got 30mpg average on my 1st long trip at 75-80 v 15mpg if lucky in 2000. My reasons as to the demise of the sedan are multifold. First the population is aging and at the same time sedans keep getting longer, LOWER (H point esp). The Jaguar XJ H point has become the norm. Big sedans are now all 4000-4500 lbs, every bit as heavy as many mid sized SUV's. ALFA ROMEO FIGURED THIS OUT FAR BETTER THAN ANYONE ELSE.

As it is Memorial Day weekend, and I am at Lime Rock every day for Pirelli World Challenge races, I drove up in my Evora on Friday. Hauled ass, passed anyone that slowed me down, hit some twisties....had a blast.
In the past when I drove my SUV up, even X5's the thrill was greatly muted. NOT YESTERDAY!!! The Stelvio was FUN and put a grin on my face through all the twisties even behind the old fart in his GT3 that kept lifting before corners only to have me up under his ass. IT IS NOT YOUR SOCCER MOM'S SUV!!!!!!!! I had so much fun with it that I'm trying to decide if I drive it again, or drive the Miata as planned!! The beat up roads take some of the fun out of driving the Miata up there at present, but the Stelvio ignores all that junk underfoot.

Reactions: zvezdah1

·
Registered
536 Posts
This!!!! Vvvvvvv

suv has been a dirty word up till now for many folks. Many of these anti -suv hardcores are completely ignorant to the current state of the auto industry. The 3 box sedan (saloon) was a people mover design and trunk space was always the family limiter forget the fact that in the 21st century you don't go to costco to buy a 27 inch crt tv set, you go to pick up a new 65 inch oled set in 4k. They are bigger!!! 25years ago, the body on frame, dodgy handling, gas swilling , manually engaged 4wd powertrain with maybe 150hp was all you got. Handling was lousy at best, **** they tipped over a fair amount (never mentioned anymore!)
flash forward 25 years.

Unibody design, serious weight reduction measure including what a decade ago was f1 technology-->carbon fiber driveshaft. 280hp is double that of an old 4.0l explorer. Mileage has doubled. I got 30mpg average on my 1st long trip at 75-80 v 15mpg if lucky in 2000. My reasons as to the demise of the sedan are multifold. First the population is aging and at the same time sedans keep getting longer, lower (h point esp). The jaguar xj h point has become the norm. Big sedans are now all 4000-4500 lbs, every bit as heavy as many mid sized suv's. Alfa romeo figured this out far better than anyone else.

As it is memorial day weekend, and i am at lime rock every day for pirelli world challenge races, i drove up in my evora on friday. Hauled ass, passed anyone that slowed me down, hit some twisties....had a blast.
In the past when i drove my suv up, even x5's the thrill was greatly muted. Not yesterday!!! The stelvio was fun and put a grin on my face through all the twisties even behind the old fart in his gt3 that kept lifting before corners only to have me up under his ass. It is not your soccer mom's suv!!!!!!!! I had so much fun with it that i'm trying to decide if i drive it again, or drive the miata as planned!! The beat up roads take some of the fun out of driving the miata up there at present, but the stelvio ignores all that junk underfoot.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts