Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
We got our Stelvio about a month ago and so far it's been great! The only issue is the AM radio has very low output volume. You literally have to turn up the volume all the way to hear the am radio. When you switch inputs to XM or FM you get blown out of the car. Does anyone else have this issue or is it just my car.
Thanks for your feedback.

·
Registered
84 Posts
AM reception bad

I just bought my Stelvio TI Sport and the AM reception is anemic. It's as if the antenna is not connected.
If I drive under an overpass or under power wires the radio drops to almost nothing.
Antenna issues?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've got the same issue. Someone made a comment saying, "Who listens to AM anymore." I do!
I like XM, but I get my local news and talk on AM. It's a basic thing that was perfected many years ago. How do they not get it right!
Anyone know of an easy to install AM booster? I haven't seen anything.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I've got the same issue. Someone made a comment saying, "Who listens to AM anymore." I do!
I like XM, but I get my local news and talk on AM. It's a basic thing that was perfected many years ago. How do they not get it right!
Anyone know of an easy to install AM booster? I haven't seen anything.
What about trying an app on your phone like iHeart Radio? I use it when I'm trying to listen to certain college football games while traveling or listen to talk radio (usually sports related) from an area I don't live in.

·
Registered
84 Posts
fix the AM problem

Why doesn't AR just fix the problem? I don't see why the customer should have to do a work around.There must be a bad connection. I doubt if the problem is that the radio is inherently too weak to receive AM properly. Even the junkiest radio receives AM fine. This problem should never have made it out of the factory.
Investigate it and fix it. No big deal.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Why doesn't AR just fix the problem? I don't see why the customer should have to do a work around.There must be a bad connection. I doubt if the problem is that the radio is inherently too weak to receive AM properly. Even the junkiest radio receives AM fine. This problem should never have made it out of the factory.
Same reason the front seats don't have tilt adjustment but have every other adjustment known to man. The same reason you can't see the blind spot monitoring light on the side mirrors when it's sunny out and there is no audible alert option. The same reason the upgraded HK stereo isn't very good when we paid a "premium" for it. The same reason I get static/popping sounds when listening to music from my phone while it's connected via USB. The same reason the backup camera is low resolution and small. The same reason the parking sensors constantly go off even when you're in park and annoy the **** out of you. The same reason I get stuck for a couple seconds at a 4 way stop because the start/stop engaged and won't turn the car back on for a set period of time. The same reason when I shut the car off but the accessory power is still going and I forgot to roll a window up and try to do so, the window actually rolls down instead until I restart the car. The same reason I can't use the built in navigation and it doesn't even have traffic. Who the **** knows! Haha. It's just how it is unfortunately.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Same reason the front seats don't have tilt adjustment but have every other adjustment known to man. The same reason you can't see the blind spot monitoring light on the side mirrors when it's sunny out and there is no audible alert option. The same reason the upgraded HK stereo isn't very good when we paid a "premium" for it. The same reason I get static/popping sounds when listening to music from my phone while it's connected via USB. The same reason the backup camera is low resolution and small. The same reason the parking sensors constantly go off even when you're in park and annoy the **** out of you. The same reason I get stuck for a couple seconds at a 4 way stop because the start/stop engaged and won't turn the car back on for a set period of time. The same reason when I shut the car off but the accessory power is still going and I forgot to roll a window up and try to do so, the window actually rolls down instead until I restart the car. The same reason I can't use the built in navigation and it doesn't even have traffic. Who the **** knows! Haha. It's just how it is unfortunately.
Ur reply made my day , because of this one reason u mentioned, Stelvio is not a # 1 amongst its competition which is sad because no one comes close in steering and handling ? I hope at least QV version is improved in all of the above mentioned setbacks. If not that would b embarrassing for AR.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Sadly, I couldn't have said it better myself :crying:crying

·
Premium Member
2018 Stelvio Base 20" yellow calipers
1,504 Posts
Sorry guys- no problem here vs other vehicles. The Giulia loaner I drove was OK too- listened to KYW and WHP (hard to get) with no issues. Do you have the latest update?

·
Registered
542 Posts
Ur reply made my day , because of this one reason u mentioned, Stelvio is not a # 1 amongst its competition which is sad because no one comes close in steering and handling ? I hope at least QV version is improved in all of the above mentioned setbacks. If not that would b embarrassing for AR.
I like to pretend that someone from AR is reading these boards and taking notes. So every once in a while I like to recap the stupid but easily fixable things that they can do to make this car #1! Haha

·
Registered
80 Posts
I hope AR is reading the forums and adjusting but who knows if they can. I chalk a number of the issues to being a quirky Italian car. As for the AM radio - I am thinking it must be set to account for the boost you get when HD kicks in. When I get close to philly or at least out of the trees in Cherry Hill, HD kicks in and the sound is great.

·
Registered
84 Posts
corrosion at ground

After talking to my service manager and looking around, the reception problem is a known problem.
A likely cause is a corroded ground of the amplifier.
That would explain the scattering of reception problems. These cars have been sitting and the waterproofing is questionable.
Should be easy to fix.

·
Registered
43 Posts
After talking to my service manager and looking around, the reception problem is a known problem.
A likely cause is a corroded ground of the amplifier.
That would explain the scattering of reception problems. These cars have been sitting and the waterproofing is questionable.
Should be easy to fix.
What happened with this? Was it actually corroded?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I too have this issue with the AM radio. I'm taking my car in for the recall and plan to get this addressed. Does anyone have any further details on a fix?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Bad reception "normal"

I took my Stelvio in to a dealer, they test drove it, I did a ride-along demonstrating the bad reception and the tech declared it normal.
End of story.
I have been told that all FCA vehicles have poor radio reception. After being in a Jeep Cherokee rental they may be right.
They're all bad. Now that's a good justification!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
We got our Stelvio about a month ago and so far it's been great! The only issue is the AM radio has very low output volume. You literally have to turn up the volume all the way to hear the am radio. When you switch inputs to XM or FM you get blown out of the car. Does anyone else have this issue or is it just my car.
Thanks for your feedback.
I have a 2020 Stelvio. Same issue. I took it in and was told that software was out of date. Software was updated. No change. Very frustrating.

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio Sport Q4 Nor-Cal PRK
180 Posts
I too listen to AM Radio (and FM).

Just came into a Stelvio from driving a 1998 Ford Explorer the past 15 years.

The Explorer has a old fashion antenna on the front passenger fender.

I still own and drive it, and it's AM and FM reception is vastly superior to my new 2018 Stelvio.

For what it's worth, I believe the "loss" of the good old fashion "whip" antenna has led to the loss of AM (and FM) reception on most (if not all) new cars.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I have a 2020 Stelvio. Same issue. I took it in and was told that software was out of date. Software was updated. No change. Very frustrating.
Hi, I'm sorry to hear this. Please let me know if you plan on visiting a dealership for this concern. I would be happy to open a case for you.

Alison
AlfaRomeoCares

·
489 Posts
I've lived in the same rural location for decades and listened to AM radio quite often over the years in my cars. At least until I got my Stelvio. AM reception is OK in town but 40 or more miles away from the city and AM reception is marginal.

I agree with fast_dave that it is quite likely the antenna, or lack of one:

For what it's worth, I believe the "loss" of the good old fashion "whip" antenna has led to the loss of AM (and FM) reception on most (if not all) new cars.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts