Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In addition to the warning beep, will the car stop or slow down by itself if you are not paying attention and about to rear end the car in front? Also, will the brake prime itself so you get maximum braking as well on the touch of the pedal? Thanks.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I can tell you with absolute certainty from experience it will stop the car if you don’t respond quick enough. I’ve been fortunate to go 20yrs without an accident.. and one night, dark, raining, and distracted by a school bus in a ditch, the car in front of me stopped to make a left turn with no signal and no tail lights.. I never saw them until my car locked up the brakes at about 40mph and came to a complete stop about a foot from the car.

There is a great video on YouTube of the Stelvio crash tests that includes it stopping in a bunch a various conditions to avoid cars and pedestrians. The tech is amazing.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Stelvio Base 20" yellow calipers
1,504 Posts
I can tell you with absolute certainty from experience it will stop the car if you don’t respond quick enough. I’ve been fortunate to go 20yrs without an accident.. and one night, dark, raining, and distracted by a school bus in a ditch, the car in front of me stopped to make a left turn with no signal and no tail lights.. I never saw them until my car locked up the brakes at about 40mph and came to a complete stop about a foot from the car.

There is a great video on YouTube of the Stelvio crash tests that includes it stopping in a bunch a various conditions to avoid cars and pedestrians. The tech is amazing.
It has gone off 2X in full panic mode- of course in my mind I was in full control. I think. Who's to know how many times disaster has been averted but (the wife insists) having the safety net there is good as Father Time brings us closer to oblivion. Worth every penny.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I will say one time it almost caused an accident. I was in the right lane, guy in front stops suddenly, I check left lane and there’s room to serve (barely) and as I swerved around to avoid it kicked in, so I essentially cut someone off in the left lane and then (unintentionally) slammed on my brakes.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Stelvio Base 20" yellow calipers
1,504 Posts
The cringeworthy aspect, of course, is always the guy in the rear view mirror!

·
Registered
228 Posts
I had a good experience with the anti-collision warning system. I was driving home after work in traffic in the right lane. The guy in front of me suddenly hit the brakes. The anti-collision audio alert went off and my Stelvio started braking as I started reaching for the brake pedal and checking my left side mirror to move into the adjacent left lane. As soon as I touched the brake the system disengaged and I had total control of the car. Brakes never locked up. I was impressed with how smoothly the system transitioned in that second or two between activation and deactivation.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I will say one time it almost caused an accident. I was in the right lane, guy in front stops suddenly, I check left lane and there’s room to serve (barely) and as I swerved around to avoid it kicked in, so I essentially cut someone off in the left lane and then (unintentionally) slammed on my brakes.
This also happened to me in city traffic. I've never had an accident in 25 years of diving and this almost caused one IMO.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I had a good experience with the anti-collision warning system. I was driving home after work in traffic in the right lane. The guy in front of me suddenly hit the brakes. The anti-collision audio alert went off and my Stelvio started braking as I started reaching for the brake pedal and checking my left side mirror to move into the adjacent left lane. As soon as I touched the brake the system disengaged and I had total control of the car. Brakes never locked up. I was impressed with how smoothly the system transitioned in that second or two between activation and deactivation.
I have also noticed the transition is seamless, for me it is with the cruise, give it gas and you get control immediatly...same with letting off the gas, the cruise comes back with no hiccups.

The emergency braking I have not used other than the warning going off thankfully...

·
Registered
137 Posts
May be a silly question, but how do you know when the collision warning system is on?.And every time you start the vehicle? Is your light on the dashboard that shows it on?. Thanks

·
Registered
478 Posts
Can also confirm it will work with pedestrians. I’ve had it fire once and that was on a child sized trash panda. I hate racoons and would have been more than happy to euthanize that one but my car spared it.

If you have it it should always be on. The absence of a warning light means it’s working.

Reactions: jttar

·
Registered
218 Posts
May be a silly question, but how do you know when the collision warning system is on?.And every time you start the vehicle? Is your light on the dashboard that shows it on?. Thanks
There are some settings for it in the infotainment center, sensitivity etc. but it’s basically on unless it says otherwise. I’ve had mine turn off in heavy rain and fog and also in tunnels.

·
Registered
228 Posts
ifly4fun, interesting we were in similar potential collision situations but had different results from the anti-collision system. I've had the audio alert go off many times but never had the brakes lock up or engage for that matter except in that one instance when contact with the car in front of me was imminent. When your audio alert went off in that situation did you put your foot on the brake as you were moving into the left lane? If you did, then the brakes locking on you may have been related to the time between the alert went off and the moment you hit the brake. Not sure of all the calculations or variables that go into the anti-collision algorithm that tells the Stelvio to brake versus lock up the brakes but I have a feeling the time between the alert going off and when you touch the brake pedal is a factor. What do you think?

·
Registered
218 Posts
ifly4fun, interesting we were in similar potential collision situations but had different results from the anti-collision system. I've had the audio alert go off many times but never had the brakes lock up or engage for that matter except in that one instance when contact with the car in front of me was imminent. When your audio alert went off in that situation did you put your foot on the brake as you were moving into the left lane? If you did, then the brakes locking on you may have been related to the time between the alert went off and the moment you hit the brake. Not sure of all the calculations or variables that go into the anti-collision algorithm that tells the Stelvio to brake versus lock up the brakes but I have a feeling the time between the alert going off and when you touch the brake pedal is a factor. What do you think?
For the time it went off when I was attempting to swerve and avoid, I never touched the break. In fact I hit the accelerator to quickly get into the left lane and get out ahead of the car coming up from behind. I got about 3/4 into the lane and my car must have figured I was going to hit the car in front and while I was accelerating, it hit the brakes. As soon as it did I doubled down put the gas on the floor and the car stopped braking giving me back control.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts