Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious if anyone purchased a Stelvio after cross shopping other cars have any regrets? I bought a 2019 Stelvio Ti with Lusso package and although I love the car, I sometimes think that man for the price, I could have gotten a lot more. Other competitors, like RDX, SQ5, GLC300, CX5, maybe even an XC60 T6, etc.

The fundamental question I'm asking is, is the Stelvio worth the money? Does the performance/handling/emotion outweigh the fact that it costs as much or more than rivals that are better equipped? For example is the performance/handling/emotion worth about $10k more than an RDX or CX5?

·
Registered
114 Posts
I shopped the X3 and the Q5. The Alfa drove and handled better. Wasn't even close. They all were about the same sticker price at 55K. If the X3M or the SQ5 were the same in price as the Stelvio, I probably would have purchased one of those. They were at least 10K more. Very happy with my Ti Sport. I look forward to driving it every day.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I looked at everything.

For me the unique mix Alfa provides was my favorite by a long shot, everything else felt like a compromise in one way or another.

1 year, 15k in I love it more than the first day I drove it.

I've test driven a few competitors since, and driven around in friend's Lexus, Audi, MBZ..etc...they are all nice in thier own way, each with its own bit of superiority over the other (more modern textured moldings, or interior pieces, infotainment "stuff", exterior bling, horsepower, whatever) however, the more expensive ones don't drive as nice, neither do the cheaper ones...

Considering the Stelvio cost less then my Boxster did...is as fast in a straight line, holds more stuff and people, is more comfortable, goes off-road like it was built for it, doesn't get stuck in snow, and somehow manages to still take a canyon road at a similar speed...while maybe being more fun....I think this SUV is an amazing value. It compares favorably to a freaking mid-engined 2 seat sports car in terms of driving dynamics, and is practical in ways the sports car cannot be...perfect.

However if that isn't your priority.....there very well could be a better vehicle than the Alfa for you, and purchasing one may lead to regrets...

·
Registered
349 Posts
I absolutely love my Alfa and would buy it again with no hesitation.

I have a Ti Sport and the only thing I would order different is not get the Static and Dynamic driver assistance things. I have the lane departure always off, never use the cruise control and would just save the $3000 those two options cost. I could care less about Apple car play and I never use the Navigation either.

I looked at all the others and the Alfa is the best and most fun to drive. My only dislike is the Harmon Kardon Stereo is not that great. its ok but just ok

·
Registered
228 Posts
Delbeeyo, not sure where you are shopping for cars but I'm in Las Vegas and the Stelvio was by far the best value for the money compared to other SUVs like Lexus, Volvo XC60 or F-Pace, not to mention it had the best performance and handling. This was back in 1st quarter of 2018 when I was shopping for a vehicle. Our choice came down to the Volvo XC60 versus the Stelvio. My wife actually preferred the ergonomics of the Stelvio over the Volvo XC60. Granted the XC60 T6 had a more luxurious interior and I think horsepower was around 320 but it was $10K more and just didn't have that "je ne sais quoi" the Stelvio had. In the Stelvio I got a fun performance SUV, a great deal and absolutely no regrets. Looking forward to what AR does next to improve the Stevio because at this point I can't imaging buying anything else as long as it remains a good value.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Leased a 2019 Ti with just three options - sunroof, nav and static package. That kept the sticker at $48K, which was comparable to the RDX, XT4 and NX that we considered. True, the others came with some of the "semi-autonomous" safety features for that price as standard equipment, but we weren't interested in those anyway. So that plus a good lease deal and we're very satisfied that the Stelvio is worth the money.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I absolutely love my Alfa and would buy it again with no hesitation.

I have a Ti Sport and the only thing I would order different is not get the Static and Dynamic driver assistance things. I have the lane departure always off, never use the cruise control and would just save the $3000 those two options cost. I could care less about Apple car play and I never use the Navigation either.

I looked at all the others and the Alfa is the best and most fun to drive. My only dislike is the Harmon Kardon Stereo is not that great. its ok but just ok
Same with me but like the BLIS on the static pkg due to the poor rear visability; works really well but would like a chime.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have owned a Stelvio Quad for one month. I am wary of potential reliability issues, and insisted - thanks to advice on this forum - on an Interstate glass mat battery before delivery. I also fear a flat tire late at night on a snowy parkway, vehicle filled with luggage, and no spare, no mini-spare, and just a ridiculous glue pot for repair. That all being said, I think the interior is luxurious, the dashboard classic, the blissfuil motor, handling and drivetrain engineering class-leading, and price a relative bargain compared to its Porsche, Audi S, and BMW competitors. The exterior is beautiful, and the front end and wheels are stunning. I have owned Honda- , Triumph- , Norton- , and Yamaha motorcycles, Fiats, Mercedes-Benzes, and a long string of Audis. The QV is more dangerous. It does things with abandon. It's locked in tight. My Audis were nothing if not competent. Current BMWs look like Mussolini's Fiat L6/40 tanks. At least Chris Bangle's Bimmers started with a clean sheet of paper. Now I will get back to you if and when I am stranded.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I was seriously considering X3 for good 2 months. I also test drove the xc60. I also wanted to keep my final price including taxes & fees under 50K, which was tough with bigger brands. Then I drove the alfa and the driving experience was considerably better on top of the great discount they were giving on the new car. The discount I got on the loner car was 30% more than the discount i was getting on the loner X3 with few thousand miles. So that sealed the deal. But after I got the car, I am so much at peace and satisfaction that I got stelvio. Most importantly I am enjoying the drive so much that I am always looking forward to drive my car. I am also very satisfied with the kind of option I choose. I did not care much about the Dynamic driver assistance plus but I was able to get just forward collision warning for $500 only (That has came very handy few times)and then Instead of navigation(2019 has android auto and apple car play standard), I chose to have the leather dash with red stiching and that changed the whole look of my car from inside. From out side I got 20 inch 5 hole clover wheels with looks really nice. On the side note I was still able to be under 48.5K including all the taxes & fees.
I had one setback of moldy smell coming from the ac vents, but that was taken car by the dealer.

Beside that no issues & I just love this car so much.

·
Registered
149 Posts
No regrets. Like JimW said, in our market, the Stelvio was a bargain. MB, BMW, Audio, etc. much more expensive once we talked to the dealer. (base price for most luxury brands does not really exist and options extremely expensive) We did also look at a turbo CX5 that would have been less expensive and we did like it. We could not pass up the Alfa once we drove it.

Full disclosure, since we bought a 2018 new in 2019, we paid about the same as what the New Mazda CX5 Turbo would have cost.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I used to have an F25 X3, I still own it in fact. The technology is much better than the Stelvio, but the handling, power delivery, design of the Stelvio is much better. I test drove the new X3, Q5, GLC, Macan S, back to back to back. The Macan S matches the Stelvio in every category except the Macan S has much more power, but also a much bigger price tag. I pick up a Stelvio and have no regrets.

·
Registered
53 Posts
No regrets, was a toss up between the Stelv and the Giulia .. for practical reasons the Stelvio won for me as I have to carry some equipment about for work..

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I used to have an F25 X3, I still own it in fact. The technology is much better than the Stelvio, but the handling, power delivery, design of the Stelvio is much better. I test drove the new X3, Q5, GLC, Macan S, back to back to back. The Macan S matches the Stelvio in every category except the Macan S has much more power, but also a much bigger price tag. I pick up a Stelvio and have no regrets.
An EC tune will deal with that Macan S readily!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Driver seat comfort:( not necessarily something you notice in a test drive, but I'm 6'4" and i feel like it's really lacking the tilt function in the standard seats for longer rides - my right leg gets tired:(

·
Registered
20 Posts
No regrets none!! there is nothing like this SUV. And based on the deal I got all of the luxury SUVs are more expensive. I have owned Audis and BMWs and still have a 135i convertible. When it comes to a passionate driving experience there is nothing like this Alfa

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have one regret. If I ever have to rob a bank using my Stelvio Quad, i'd get caught easily in a sea of BMWs and Mercs here in south florida.
Having owned Audi, BMW, VW over the last 20yrs for me this was a big step into the unknown... more like the upside down in a Stranger Things kinda way. As an Italian I was extremely worried about reliability, but in the end I chose what I liked more and what made me happy more. I know it can be a bit stupid to say, but I feel the car is a mirror image of my personality. never experienced it with any other car.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts