Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
'18 TI Lusso AWD
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in a state that puts up signs that say chains must be carried, now I have gotten away with ignoring it a couple of times, but SOMEONE seems to be a bit concerned, and thinks my car's and my competence would be enhanced if we had a pair on board. In the past it was chains required if you were 2wd or didn't have AWD and traction winter tires, now I just see the chains required in car signs. ( IDK the next level, but it's probably chains required) So my options would be to leave her behind, turn around if we get caught, or get chains. She's not too fond of the first option since she bought me new snowshoes as a gift.

Has anyone put chains on the 20x8.5 rims? I didn't downsize on my winter rims, they're 20x8.5..... I think, chains for 255/75/15 should fit the wheel, don't know about the clearance on the hub side.

thanks in advance for any comments from personal experience.

·
Registered
'18 TI Lusso AWD
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
this is kind of interesting, for the 2.0, the 8 inch rim is 12mm narrower (6mm each side) but the offset is 35 on the 18 and 19 rims which actually only nets 2mm of net clearance on the inside. Plus both the 18 and 19 tire sizes are greater OD than the 255/45s? and yet you can run chains on the 20x10s in the back of the QV which have an ET 34, which is actually about 22mms less inside clearance than the stock 2.0 8.5 rims....

It makes me think chains on the 20" will fit on the 2.0, since 20x8.5 is a lot narrower than 20x10 with a 285 rolling back there.

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
Even on the rear, has to do with bushing deformation if the clearances are tight enough. It's rare but I have seen issues come up, you probably already realize the rear wheels can move a few degrees under cornering... It happens making hard U-turns too.

Not being specific to the Stelvio I don't know how soft our bushings are/how much deformation happens, just general advice. Given how it handles I'de guess there is the ability to move a few degrees.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts