Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Stelvio Sport
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I was walking up to my car today and noticed these two rectangle shape looking marks on my hood, it looks like it’s raised but when I run my hand over it’s smooth so it’s not dented I detail my car every week so the last time I detailed my car I didn’t notice this and I’m sure I would of noticed because I’m anal band inspected everything on my car. It was almost a week ago I detailed it. I tried quick detailer spray to see if it was some kind of mark that would come out but that didn’t work the only thing I can think of is a one step polish with the machine and hopefully they gets rid of it. It’s just really weird I have no idea what could’ve caused this I’m clueless so that’s why I’m coming to the forum to see if anybody has an idea on what this possibly could be and if polishing would work. Thanks
Automotive parking light Land vehicle Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

Car Vehicle Grille Automotive lighting Hood

Vehicle Car Grille Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

·
514 Posts
Here is an edited version that makes the pattern a little more obvious. I put lines with arrows showing where the edges of the patterns are.

Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

@DCStelvio

Do the patterns line up with any reinforcing ribs on the underside of the hood?

·
Registered
2020 Stelvio Sport
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tail & brake light Car

Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive mirror

Car Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Azure Purple

Automotive tire Hood Azure Automotive lighting Blue
Hood Automotive lighting Gesture Automotive tire Automotive exterior

I took a bunch of photos right underneath where you see that vehicle emission control sticker is where that glue adhesive looking stuff is, I was able to take some pictures the best I could through that little hole but that stuff looks like it’s covering that whole entire area where those squares are. I don’t know if it’s because it’s cold in North Jersey now and for some reason it’s showing through the metal. I bought the car back in August and ever since I’ve had it I washed it myself and never seen those marks before and I really inspect my paint work and every little detail I noticed these marks last week since it started getting colder I don’t know if the cold weather has something to do with this or is this a manufacture defect I contacted the dealer and I’m waiting to hear back from somebody in service because I want to take it to them and show them maybe they know a little more or they could do something about it .

·
Registered
2020 Stelvio Sport
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey man I appreciate the updated photo with the arrows
Yes, I posted a bunch of photos that stuff I took a picture of that looks like some type of glue is that the reinforcing ribs you’re talking about? But yes they line up perfectly with the squares
Here is an edited version that makes the pattern a little more obvious. I put lines with arrows showing where the edges of the patterns are.

View attachment 24016

@DCStelvio

Do the patterns line up with any reinforcing ribs on the underside of the hood?

·
514 Posts
I'll have to look at mine to get a better idea of how it is put together.

But, you may be right about the cold. The different coefficient of expansion due to temperature between the metal hood, and the non metal fastening under the hood could be causing a bit of stress that shows up in those patterns.

How cold was it when you took those photos?

·
Registered
2020 Stelvio Quadrifoglio
61 Posts
Are the hoods made of aluminum? Somebody could've sat on the hood and "molded" it to the structural rectangles underneath?

I'm not too convinced about temperature expansions if the whole hood/bonnet is made of the same material.

·
Registered
2020 Stelvio Sport
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll have to look at mine to get a better idea of how it is put together.

But, you may be right about the cold. The different coefficient of expansion due to temperature between the metal hood, and the non metal fastening under the hood could be causing a bit of stress that shows up in those patterns.

How cold was it when you took those photos?
The first picture I posted that you edited I took 2 days ago it had to be in the low 40s and the photos I took under the hood about the same temperature. The morning are like 25 degrees here in Jersey. I’m waiting for a nice warm day to see if they go away but who know when that will be. I contacted the Dealer I’m going Monday to have them check it out and go from there.
Are the hoods made of aluminum? Somebody could've sat on the hood and "molded" it to the structural rectangles underneath?

I'm not too convinced about temperature expansions if the whole hood/bonnet is made of the same material.
nah no one sat on the hood, I don’t know what the metal is. I have no idea very odd, I’m going to the dealer to the service department to have them look at it

·
Registered
2020 Stelvio Sport
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

does anyone else hood look like this ? I noticed the underneath the hood isn’t fully paint with clear coat. Is this normal and how Alfa paints there cars? Or is the possibility been a hood Thats been repainted ?

·
Registered
2020 Stelvio Sport
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm on my second Stelvio, both have this. Seems to be more noticeable on cold weather
Exactly I have noticed this since the weather has gotten really cold I got my car in August and I’ve never seen this and like I said in my other post I detail my car myself so I would’ve not missed this but ever since it got cold I’ve been noticing it I feel much better that someone else who has the same car has this

1 - 20 of 27 Posts