Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had a tranny flush done out of preventitive maintenace on my 2018 stelvio 2.0T. However im not sure I 100% trust the shop who did it.. I know there is a certain procedure to it.. Anyone know how its done?

Is there an additional procedure to check the transfer case?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Anyone that would recommend this on a 1 yr old vehicle is questionable at best. Unless you have more than 60k in the desert or pure stop n go??????

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
^ yeah...…

Tranny flush is not like an oil change...you want to know you can trust that person. Very few cars are designed to do the procedure, if you just don't recommend it that lowers the projected cost of maintenance and raises the scoring for many "experts". So manufactures just don't design for the job to be done.

Haven't checked on this car, but most new vehicles just put a fill plug about halfway up the sidewall of the tranny and you are supposed to fill until the fluid won't go in anymore, then pull the funnel/pump out (cause - yes- some cars *cough* germans *cough* require you pump the chamber absolutely full of fluid before you yank out the filler hose).....at which point fluid starts freely draining from the hole in the wall and you are supposed to have the plug ready, shove it in and tighten it super-fast before too much fluid drains out. How do you know you did it fast enough/left enough fluid in? Well...you kind of have to guess and hope....any doubt just do it over. No way to check the level, dipsticks have been deemed unnecessary. And really...it isn't something you do anymore - although it is a good maintenance thing to do every 50-100K and should be designed for.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had other reasons for doing it, I do realize its not something necessary, regardless I know there is a certain procedure to checking the level (there is no dipstick).. if anyone knows, would be great.. I just wanna double check the Alfa Techs work..

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Factory scan tool is the only way to check anymore on vehicles. not a generic OBD II, you need the manufacturer specific codes and communication protocols to access the transmission data.

You also need to know the proper procedure, it is not a simple check normally. IE: what temperature should the fluid should be at, do the gears need to be run through before checking or not, also if the car needs to be in gear, neutral or park during the procedure. The car will need to be perfectly level as well. Most shops use a two or four post lift and raise the vehicle some to be sure it is level, either that or jack up all 4 corners, either way check the level at the transmission itself, under the car, then make adjustments as needed.

Could be different for the Stelvio but that is standard for the ZF 8spd in other vehicles.

More complete instructions are probably on the Giulia forum.

Like I said..not really designed to be performed or checked easily by anyone.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
That is a fun procedure.

The good takeaway is the proper amount is level with the fill plug. That is a nice design, harder to underfill.

That you have to disable the ESC and have run through the first 2 gears and reverse while keeping the fluid around 86 degrees is less great. Some areas that basically means you can only do the job in an air conditioned garage or in the winter....

·
Registered
274 Posts
That is a fun procedure.

The good takeaway is the proper amount is level with the fill plug. That is a nice design, harder to underfill.

That you have to disable the ESC and have run through the first 2 gears and reverse while keeping the fluid around 86 degrees is less great. Some areas that basically means you can only do the job in an air conditioned garage or in the winter....
It's probably basically meant to make sure the oil gets in all parts of the transmission before checking .....
I doubt the temp makes too much difference, as long as it's up to operating temp for thickness etc.
However, no idea ;)

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
ATF expands with heat, so the temp does matter. The hotter it gets the more it expands...so when they suggest a certain temp, it a likely the engineers specifically designed for the thermal expansion at that temperature.

Too hot and the fluid will over expand and you will create a low fluid situation when opening the plug to check level..too cold and it will look low which could result in overfilling.

Every step in that procedure is important.

·
Registered
274 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had other reasons for doing it, I do realize its not something necessary, regardless I know there is a certain procedure to checking the level (there is no dipstick).. if anyone knows, would be great.. I just wanna double check the Alfa Techs work..
"Other reasons?" Like what? Just curious.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Its called put drain 1mm lower duh!!!Now it checks cold, not hot. Really 100% unnecessary waste of oil draining good quality synthetics out less than 25% thru their life. Just saying. We waste millions of barrel/yr in this country on this stuff.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts