Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
I learned about the OwlCam in an earlier post. Mine should arrive early next week.
Any Stelvio owners already have one? Love to hear feedback.

https://owlcam.com
Don't have but now I want to get one..you can connect and view from your phone?
What kind of battery drain does it cause or do you have it hard wired?
I'm always paranoid about my battery dying even if I leave my iPhone plugged in...

·
Registered
88 Posts
I was looking at both the Owl Cam and Waylens Cam and I ended up ordering the Owl Cam 2 weeks ago. The main draw for me with the Owl Cam is that it can be powered via the OBD2 port and doesn't require being hardwired into the car. The only drawback I can see with the Owl Cam is that currently it is IOS only and still does not have Android support. Also, it seems to have less funtionality compared to the Waylens Cam when not using LTE support. Waylens still do not have information on how much their LTE support will cost whereas Owl Cam will cost $10 per month for 60 mins of LTE per month or $99 for the year prepaid.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Just curious. Why OwlCam and Waylens specifically?
I only looked at those products since as far as I'm aware, those are the only two that perform cameras that perform 360 degree security with alerts of the vehicle using 4g. There are many dashcams out there that come with front and interior came and some even come with 4g connections, but those aren't purpose built be a security Cam fir the car. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I was looking at both the Owl Cam and Waylens Cam and I ended up ordering the Owl Cam 2 weeks ago. The main draw for me with the Owl Cam is that it can be powered via the OBD2 port and doesn't require being hardwired into the car. The only drawback I can see with the Owl Cam is that currently it is IOS only and still does not have Android support. Also, it seems to have less funtionality compared to the Waylens Cam when not using LTE support. Waylens still do not have information on how much their LTE support will cost whereas Owl Cam will cost $10 per month for 60 mins of LTE per month or $99 for the year prepaid.
Did you get the owl cam yet. I would love to hear what you think of it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Did you get the owl cam yet. I would love to hear what you think of it.
Has not arrived yet. Should be here by end of next week.

·
Registered
88 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've had my OwlCam for almost a month and love it. Super easy to install and use.

OwlCal sends video clips to my iPhone if it detects movement. Last week my Stelvio was parked at my gym's parking lot when a guy walked by and was admiring my car. He pulled out his phone and took a selfie infront of the Alfa logo. My Owl Cam send me a clip of the entire thing. So funny.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Finally got my car back from dealer yesterday and had the chance to install the Owl Cam today. As far as installation goes, this is very easy and fast to do. From the time I unboxed, connected to the ODBII port, tucked away the wiring, connected the camera, installed the app and paired the app with the cam, it took less than 16 minutes.

The material quality and various mounting items that came in the box was good.

I've attached pics showing the camera from outside looking at front of vehicle, from 2nd row looking out to the front, the ODBII magsafe-stle connector, the dash showing no wires (since it is tucked away via the included tuck tool) and close up of the camera as mounted.

I have not had the camera long enough to comment on how well it works, but maybe in a week, I'll have a better assessment.

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
Good stuff and thanks for the posts.
All they need to do is bring it to Canada. Right now it’s only available in the ??

·
Registered
763 Posts
I would like one, but it would be my luck someone would break in and take it.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Stelvio Base 20" yellow calipers
1,504 Posts
I would like one, but it would be my luck someone would break in and take it.
Good news-- Fully equipped right out of the wrapper, Stelvios have full electronic alarms).:rolleyes: I have a lower end unit dashcam from my previous Jeep however didn't want to clutter up the Stelvio with the cable and visual clutter so would want to mount above in the area of the rear view mirror if it came to it.

Owl Cam looks good for a Christmas list type of thing...

·
Registered
88 Posts
After over a week of testing my Owl Cam, here is my abbreviated review:

- Installation is quick and painless
- software limited to IOS for now but intuitive and simple to use
- dashcam video quality is not bad, although does not appear to be as good as my $60 Xiaomi Mijia dashcam I have installed as well.
- "OK Presto" voice command to take snapshot video works fine, but not as useful to me.
- security features:
- I simulated door ding impacts on both sides of the car and Owl Cam did not send an alert nor sense the impact. My perception is that the Owl Cam would only alert on larger impacts but not things like door dings.
- when a person enters the car, the Owl Cam has enough of a delay in capturing who entered that it can be blocked by hand or worse yet be taken without a video recording of the person getting into your car.
- one "feature" the Owl Cam has is heat protection. The cam shuts off when too hot to protect from damage. There have been at least 3x in the last week, where I have entered my car and this thing was fully shut off due to heat and not recording ( what good is a security Cam when off?). Also, it is not even summer yet in SoCal and I envision this device going on constant vacation due to heat.
- yet another "feature" is car battery protection in which the device goes into standby mode after 24 hrs if the car has not been started. I purposely did not start my car for 26 hrs to see how this funtioned and to my surprise, the Owl Cam was shut off, so, if I were to travel and leave my car at the airport for 24 or more hours, the Owl Cam is useless to capture security incidents.
- video quality of Livestream is poor and not sure of the root cause.

My verdict: as a dashcam, on par with most of the $100 dashcams on the market that do 1080p videos except the Owl Cam cannot store locally on an SD card. As a security device, look elsewhere (I may try the Waylens Cam when LTE version is available). This to me is not worth the over $300 price tag. I will be returning mine for a refund ?

Just my 2 cents.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts