Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Alfa - aficionados! New to the forum, from Vancouver Canada.

My local dealer is clearing out new 2018 Stelvios, at discounted prices. I'm considering a TI Sport - in fact, it's in my garage as I type this on a multi-day test drive , and its $19K off MSRP, Asking $48,000 CDN. It includes the full 4 yr warranty. Love the drive, handling and suspension, looks, and the back seat and cargo area meet my needs. I also appreciate having a pretty unique vehicle in the world of X3s and Q5s.

So I've got two questions for the group:

1. Is it a good deal?

2. There's no apple Carplay - built 11/17. Is there anything I can do to upgrade to include Apple Car Play??

If anyone has advice to share on the negotiation process I'd be very thankful - I've never bought a brand new car; in fact I haven't bought one in 10 yrs so I'm out of practice.

Nav

·
Registered
166 Posts
Based on today's exchange rate, 19K CDN is about 13.4K US. Some in here got near that off (after negotiations of course) and a couple got more than that off for theirs---or so they said. But, these are for same model year (or 2019s). Can I assume this is their first offer and that you have not seriously negotiated yet? If so, and if you accept that offer, and assuming the Canadian market is somewhat similar to the US market for Stelvios right now, then you are leaving $$ on the table, probably a few thousand, maybe more. Why?

It is already two model years old---a 2018 nobody wanted (think resale value here---tanked). At this point, it is a huge loss leader and the dealer is quite desperate to get rid of it---they lose $$ every day it just sits there. If you have the stomach for hard but dispassionate nego and let them know you are willing to walk out (and demonstrate this by doing so if they call your bluff), then I think you can likely save a few thousand more IMO. They will call you back.

Also, car sales in general have dropped off in the US at least for the past couple years and is getting absolutely curb-stomped by COVID-19 right now. I suspect Canada is similar. I cannot remember a time in my 38 years of new and used car buying that the consumer was in a better position than right now. But this is where I get a dual personality: on the one hand, time for some consumer payback for their overall (a generalization I know) contempt for the customer to maximize profit and all the games they play that I have learned to defeat over the years (I think). But on the other, they are really suffering just like my two fav restaurants nearby due to COVID and I actually feel a bit of sympathy---and want most car companies to survive. So, depending on how you feel about all this, either take the offer or negotiate firmly and walk out when they say they can't go any lower. You will never know their floor until you walk out, to your car (yes, they sometimes wait to see if you'll flinch first and turn around---they know they can always call you back in), and go home.

About the Apple Car Play, don't think you can mod it at all if made before Dec 2017 if I recall correctly. There are some other threads in here that talk extensively about this. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TDW11, I'm so thankful for the advice - I've been having trouble determining what is a good price and what is a screaming deal as there are so few dealerships in Canada to price compare. You're right, they are desperate to make a sale based on the factors you mentioned, compounded by the fact they have 19 2018 Stelvios sitting on their lot. They've got to be motivated to move them.

Since I'm disappointed with the Infotainment system, I'm not head over heels in love which puts me in a good headspace to bargain hard. Also, I'm ok if I lose the vehicle. For me to buy it it has to be a screaming deal.

I return the vehicle Tuesday - I'll let you know how it goes, wish me luck!

·
Registered
19 Quadrifoglio Trofeo White,black with green/white,Dynamic pack, Pano roof,Carbon wheel, Dark wheel
27 Posts
Can't add much to @TDW11 other than agree that it's not a good deal for an 18. You'd expect that discount on a 19.

·
Registered
166 Posts
@FuzzyNavi, ok, if they have 19 x 2018 sitting on the lot, then you will get that "screaming" deal if you insist on it and are willing to go through the uncomfortable nego grind. With the updated info you gave, and considering current conditions, I would say you can get a further 3-5K off those 2018s. I would say go for it unless potentially not having ACP is a game-changer for you. Also, since there are 19 x 2018s, do a quick VIN check of each one from their dealer website. If any of their VINs have a "C" as the 12th character in the VIN (but not a "B"), then it is AA and ACP compatible. If you find one, take your phone in and test it on that car before doing the deal. Good luck and let us know if you pull the trigger.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Have you bought this or know anyone who has? I'm curious on how well it works.

·
Registered
19 Quadrifoglio Trofeo White,black with green/white,Dynamic pack, Pano roof,Carbon wheel, Dark wheel
27 Posts
I'm guessing it'll work just as well as it does in the guilia forum. Everyone that has it seems to be pleased with it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@FuzzyNavi, ok, if they have 19 x 2018 sitting on the lot, then you will get that "screaming" deal if you insist on it and are willing to go through the uncomfortable nego grind. With the updated info you gave, and considering current conditions, I would say you can get a further 3-5K off those 2018s. I would say go for it unless potentially not having ACP is a game-changer for you. Also, since there are 19 x 2018s, do a quick VIN check of each one from their dealer website. If any of their VINs have a "C" as the 12th character in the VIN (but not a "B"), then it is AA and ACP compatible. If you find one, take your phone in and test it on that car before doing the deal. Good luck and let us know if you pull the trigger.
The VINs on all of the vehicles have the letter C but I still couldn’t get it to work. I read somewhere That using in a non-Apple cable might be an issue so will have to will have to try to find one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The VINs on all of the vehicles have the letter C but I still couldn’t get it to work. I read somewhere That using in a non-Apple cable might be an issue so will have to will have to try to find one.
Check your system info for the version of the hardware. If it starts with 001 or 002, there is no way you can activate the ACP or AA but replace the whole ETM unit.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I believe the dealer has to activate the Apple Carplay/Android on 2018, even though the hardware is there. Just my fuzzy memory from reading a bunch of threads here.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Based on today's exchange rate, 19K CDN is about 13.4K US. Some in here got near that off (after negotiations of course) and a couple got more than that off for theirs---or so they said. But, these are for same model year (or 2019s). Can I assume this is their first offer and that you have not seriously negotiated yet? If so, and if you accept that offer, and assuming the Canadian market is somewhat similar to the US market for Stelvios right now, then you are leaving $$ on the table, probably a few thousand, maybe more. Why?

It is already two model years old---a 2018 nobody wanted (think resale value here---tanked). At this point, it is a huge loss leader and the dealer is quite desperate to get rid of it---they lose $$ every day it just sits there. If you have the stomach for hard but dispassionate nego and let them know you are willing to walk out (and demonstrate this by doing so if they call your bluff), then I think you can likely save a few thousand more IMO. They will call you back.

Also, car sales in general have dropped off in the US at least for the past couple years and is getting absolutely curb-stomped by COVID-19 right now. I suspect Canada is similar. I cannot remember a time in my 38 years of new and used car buying that the consumer was in a better position than right now. But this is where I get a dual personality: on the one hand, time for some consumer payback for their overall (a generalization I know) contempt for the customer to maximize profit and all the games they play that I have learned to defeat over the years (I think). But on the other, they are really suffering just like my two fav restaurants nearby due to COVID and I actually feel a bit of sympathy---and want most car companies to survive. So, depending on how you feel about all this, either take the offer or negotiate firmly and walk out when they say they can't go any lower. You will never know their floor until you walk out, to your car (yes, they sometimes wait to see if you'll flinch first and turn around---they know they can always call you back in), and go home.

About the Apple Car Play, don't think you can mod it at all if made before Dec 2017 if I recall correctly. There are some other threads in here that talk extensively about this. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Check your system info for the version of the hardware. If it starts with 001 or 002, there is no way you can activate the ACP or AA but replace the whole ETM unit.
Great way to buy ! You will not miss the Apple play useless I have it my friends have it never use it . Totally a pain in the neck get the car for the smooth ride and just so you know when you trade it it will be a low mileage trade in so you will get at least 3 K more than if you bought it in 2018 . Go for it

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio 2.2 Veloce pack, sunroof and in Red
1 Posts
Great way to buy ! You will not miss the Apple play useless I have it my friends have it never use it . Totally a pain in the neck get the car for the smooth ride and just so you know when you trade it it will be a low mileage trade in so you will get at least 3 K more than if you bought it in 2018 . Go for it
I have a 2018 veloce pack Stelvio here in Australia, bought it last year during the same run out sale and saved Au$19,000. It has Air Play, I think it’s over rated and has some issues. It often drops out and sometimes the infotainment system resets itself, more frustrating than anything else. Other than that the car is great, price was right and I’m not looking back. It’s fun, special and unique. Pull the trigger and get it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Everyone here is awesome - I appreciate everyone taking the time to comment.

So......I bought it! I negotiated pretty hard and got exactly what I wanted - $4K off. Pretty pleased with myself!

ill pick her up tomorrow....and I’m sure I’ll be back with more questions!

56 Posts
Thanks I'll look into it!
That product works but I am not sure the quality, from an inside source it's made from questionable Korean parts.

I have apple carplay in my 17. I sell the module to be able to install it but you need a dealer willing. There is a long write up in the giulia forum on how to do it.
A lot more money but flawless and the the unit is made in France.

Good luck with the new car.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Everyone here is awesome - I appreciate everyone taking the time to comment.

So......I bought it! I negotiated pretty hard and got exactly what I wanted - $4K off. Pretty pleased with myself!

ill pick her up tomorrow....and I’m sure I’ll be back with more questions!
Well done, enjoy your new ride.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts