Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

621 - 640 of 666 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
FYI, no updates on CarPlay nor Android Auto for Stelvio. I just finished an unrelated service appointment at Golling Alfa Romeo Fiat in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan USA and the team here has no information from Alfa Romeo on it :-(

·
Registered
88 Posts
https://www.macrumors.com/2019/04/29/toyota-carplay-2018-camry-sienna/

Personally, I'm OK with what we have, but would not mind it if they offer it. I have it on my wife's 2018 VW Tiguan SEL, and it is cool. I post this announcement, may be Alfa sees it and retrofit our Stelvios. If they don't, they don't.

Cheers!

Toyota Offering Retrofit CarPlay Upgrades for 2018 Camry and Sienna

Monday April 29, 2019 12:31 pm PDT by Juli Clover

Toyota recently announced plans to bring CarPlay to 2018 Toyota Camry sedans and 2018 Toyota Sienna minivans through a new retrofitting program that will be available through Toyota dealers.

According to CNET, 2018 Toyota Sienna minivans and Camry sedans will soon be able to visit a dealership to add CarPlay support to their vehicles. Amazon Alexa compatibility is also included.

Visiting a Toyota dealership will be required to install the CarPlay update, which will be made available through new software. Toyota has not yet confirmed if the CarPlay update will be free or if there will be a fee.

Toyota has introduced CarPlay in quite a few of its 2019 and 2020 models, but to date, CarPlay has been limited to newer vehicles, so this is the first time Toyota is making it available in a 2018 vehicle.

Other Toyota vehicles equipped with CarPlay include the 2019 Avalon, 2019 Corolla Hatchback, 2019 Sienna, 2019 Camry, 2020 Tacoma, 2020 Tundra, 2020 Sequoia, 2020 Corolla, 2020 Yaris Hatchback, and 2020 Highlander.

It's not known if Toyota will, in the future, provide similar CarPlay retrofitting options for other Toyota vehicles.

·
Registered
168 Posts
For all those with pre-12/2017 build Stelvio's that want Carplay, would it be possible to pull a head control unit from a salvaged 2019 ? I don't see any listed yet online, there are a number of 2018's. I have a 7/17 built Stelvio and don't miss the Carplay, since I never had it before. It would be nice to add, but only at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I would only lease this because I doubt the long term reliability will be good. I have a 2 year lease and then Im done.

·
Registered
378 Posts
same here

I would only lease this because I doubt the long term reliability will be good. I have a 2 year lease and then Im done.
I would have sleepless nights thinking my car is out of warranty.

Before the warranty expires, I'm selling BUT to get an Alfa Romeo Tonale which has a smaller footprint and even better gas mileage than the Stelvio. (which is excellent, btw)

·
Registered
179 Posts
All,

I am getting so confused on this thread, others AR forums and the Giulia forums. There is a ton of differing info out there and I realize the dealers and probably ARUSA themselves aren't sure.

I want to buy a used Stelvio. The prices are fantastic and I decided a few years ago to stop buying new and taking that depreciation hit. I have always grown up in small quicker cars with a little quirkiness and personality and I think Stelvio fits that. (I made a mistake and bought a Lincoln, car is great, I just find it boring). The Lincoln introduced me to car play and I will never go back to the automaker developed apps if I don't have to.

So my summary so far fom reading everything and trying to pick apart the threads is as follows:

The threads are back and forth on what cars are eligible for carplay.
a. Obviously the 2019's are carplay equipped/eligible.
b. It was claimed all 2018's were eligible for car play.
i. That is not fully true, some don't have the right radio or software version.
ii. Most don't have the necessary media hub.
iii. If you install the correct media hub then you might be carplay eligible.
iv. AR issued a TSB on adding carplay to 2017 build dates/model years.
v. There has not been a TSB issued for the Stelvio.

So where are we on this as of now?? I see at least one person has been successful in adding carplay. SO is there any definitive knowledge of what to look for when I buy the Stelvio? (I have only found one used Stelvio with the carplay info listed on the sticker and it lacks most of the features I want).

Thank you for any replies and guidance.

·
Registered
218 Posts
All,

I am getting so confused on this thread, others AR forums and the Giulia forums. There is a ton of differing info out there and I realize the dealers and probably ARUSA themselves aren't sure.

I want to buy a used Stelvio. The prices are fantastic and I decided a few years ago to stop buying new and taking that depreciation hit. I have always grown up in small quicker cars with a little quirkiness and personality and I think Stelvio fits that. (I made a mistake and bought a Lincoln, car is great, I just find it boring). The Lincoln introduced me to car play and I will never go back to the automaker developed apps if I don't have to.

So my summary so far fom reading everything and trying to pick apart the threads is as follows:

The threads are back and forth on what cars are eligible for carplay.
a. Obviously the 2019's are carplay equipped/eligible.
b. It was claimed all 2018's were eligible for car play.
i. That is not fully true, some don't have the right radio or software version.
ii. Most don't have the necessary media hub.
iii. If you install the correct media hub then you might be carplay eligible.
iv. AR issued a TSB on adding carplay to 2017 build dates/model years.
v. There has not been a TSB issued for the Stelvio.

So where are we on this as of now?? I see at least one person has been successful in adding carplay. SO is there any definitive knowledge of what to look for when I buy the Stelvio? (I have only found one used Stelvio with the carplay info listed on the sticker and it lacks most of the features I want).

Thank you for any replies and guidance.
AR's line in the sand was make sure it was manufactured After 12/2017. Anything prior to that you're definitely SOL. After that, hit or miss. But that was their official date. If you're looking used.. just make sure it has it and don't look back. There are insane deals going on new 2018's.. so theres a good chance you don't have to take that depreciation hit as there isn't a significant different right now.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Most of the 2018 still on sale are relatively old, judging by the VIN #'s. I just bought a 2018 new from a dealer that had 7 left. The newest build date was 7/17. Be careful when looking. It may be hard to find a 2018 still out there that will be in that build date sweet spot you are looking.

Does anyone knows the VIN # cut off between the "line in the sand, no Carplay for you" cars and the 2018 Stelvios that some how have the ability to upgrade.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Most of the 2018 still on sale are relatively old, judging by the VIN #'s. I just bought a 2018 new from a dealer that had 7 left. The newest build date was 7/17. Be careful when looking. It may be hard to find a 2018 still out there that will be in that build date sweet spot you are looking.

Does anyone knows the VIN # cut off between the "line in the sand, no Carplay for you" cars and the 2018 Stelvios that some how have the ability to upgrade.

Good to know, when finding a vehicle I will connect my phone and ensure it has carplay. I'm looking for a 2018. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
One datapoint is mine. ACP, build date 04/2018 (driver’s side door. inside panel). For US purchases, ACP listed on window sticker.
Works flawlessly

·
Registered
51 Posts
A few comments which might be helpful

Some, but not all, 2018 model year Alfa Romeo Stelvios(& Gulias) have apple&android car play. This was very important to me when I was searching for the Stelvio I purchased so I was forced to learn what I am sharing with all of you.

...for some unexplained reason as of yet, the Italians (who are always on their mobile phones —- take a walk in any Italian city and look around if you don’t believe me) decided to design their 1st gen infotainment system so it CAN NOT be updated with apple/android car play. Yeah, dumbass move!

Easiest way I learned to identify IF apple/android car play could even be available on a Stelvio was to look at the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)...if the 2 characters in the 11th and 12th positions read “7C” then the vehicle CAN Have car play. If you see a “B” in location 12 rather than a “C” - then the vehicle WILL never have car play unless you replace the entire infotainment system. (No soup for you - back of line)

My 2018 model year Stelvio TI Lusso (built in July 2018) DOES HAVE CAR PLAY.

I have an Apple Phone so I can not comment on

Apple Car Play will work entirely when the phone is hard wired (USB cable). Everything (at least the discrete list of limited apps available via apple car play) work great with my vehicle.

Some features (Pandora, Music, Phone, Text) work fine via Blue Tooth connection.... without USB connection.

The reason the other apps need to be wired is related to bandwidth requirements to transmit and receive the data. Yes, BMW carplay works entirely via Bluetooth...But BMW designed a Local Area Network into their vehicles to provide for that.... (think of the wireless router in your home.

Hope each of you enjoy your Alfa as much as I am enjoying mine.

·
Registered
168 Posts
A few comments which might be helpful

Some, but not all, 2018 model year Alfa Romeo Stelvios(& Gulias) have apple&android car play. This was very important to me when I was searching for the Stelvio I purchased so I was forced to learn what I am sharing with all of you.

...for some unexplained reason as of yet, the Italians (who are always on their mobile phones —- take a walk in any Italian city and look around if you don’t believe me) decided to design their 1st gen infotainment system so it CAN NOT be updated with apple/android car play. Yeah, dumbass move!

Easiest way I learned to identify IF apple/android car play could even be available on a Stelvio was to look at the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)...if the 2 characters in the 11th and 12th positions read “7C” then the vehicle CAN Have car play. If you see a “B” in location 12 rather than a “C” - then the vehicle WILL never have car play unless you replace the entire infotainment system. (No soup for you - back of line)

My 2018 model year Stelvio TI Lusso (built in July 2018) DOES HAVE CAR PLAY.

I have an Apple Phone so I can not comment on

Apple Car Play will work entirely when the phone is hard wired (USB cable). Everything (at least the discrete list of limited apps available via apple car play) work great with my vehicle.

Some features (Pandora, Music, Phone, Text) work fine via Blue Tooth connection.... without USB connection.

The reason the other apps need to be wired is related to bandwidth requirements to transmit and receive the data. Yes, BMW carplay works entirely via Bluetooth...But BMW designed a Local Area Network into their vehicles to provide for that.... (think of the wireless router in your home.

Hope each of you enjoy your Alfa as much as I am enjoying mine.

Thank you for that summary. Looking for a C vs B will make this easier for those still shopping.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hello all. I have a b so not having it I guess. I knew it though. So here is my question? Just for purposes of interesting conversation. When you look on ebay you can find head units and screens for sale from wrecked stelvios. The head unit is marked with manufacture dates and stamped either high or low on the labels. Which head unit will function with car play and is high v low basic unit v premium with more speakers? One head unit said navigation and when considering a car play upgrade is it simply head unit plus screen plus usb hub? Again, I am not really looking to do the upgrade but love the opportunity to learn. For me, I can’t wait for how to videos on basic maintenance once warranty up. Thanks. Mark

·
Registered
20 Posts
As expected Apple is updating CarPlay with many new useful features in the next release this year.

As an owner of a 2018 Stelvio who was misinformed about availability of Apple CarPlay updates BEFORE I purchased the car I am now even more annoyed. A Stelvio without Apple CarPlay is also now worth considerably less than one with it.

The present nav system goes black and non functioning several times a month. Dealer has applied several software “fixes” that didn’t work. The car is also due in for yet another different recall.

Great driving car but quality is apparently a real issue.
How do we get Alfa Romeo to resolve properly?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion.

Next time I won’t be an early buyer and support Alfa Romeo.

The dealer didn’t lie to me - Alfa care did. They told me to spend the extra $$$$ to buy the Nav pkg and that it would be upgraded to Apple CarPlay via software shortly.

It appears I made a mistake by believing in Alfa.

621 - 640 of 666 Posts