Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

641 - 660 of 666 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've had the screen turn off on me and I then realised I had used a different lightning cable - one of these promotion gifts you get - and this was definitely the cause. I put a proper high quality cable in and problem solved.

·
Registered
55 Posts
A few comments which might be helpful

Some, but not all, 2018 model year Alfa Romeo Stelvios(& Gulias) have apple&android car play. This was very important to me when I was searching for the Stelvio I purchased so I was forced to learn what I am sharing with all of you.

...for some unexplained reason as of yet, the Italians (who are always on their mobile phones —- take a walk in any Italian city and look around if you don’t believe me) decided to design their 1st gen infotainment system so it CAN NOT be updated with apple/android car play. Yeah, dumbass move!

Easiest way I learned to identify IF apple/android car play could even be available on a Stelvio was to look at the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)...if the 2 characters in the 11th and 12th positions read “7C” then the vehicle CAN Have car play. If you see a “B” in location 12 rather than a “C” - then the vehicle WILL never have car play unless you replace the entire infotainment system. (No soup for you - back of line)

My 2018 model year Stelvio TI Lusso (built in July 2018) DOES HAVE CAR PLAY.

I have an Apple Phone so I can not comment on

Apple Car Play will work entirely when the phone is hard wired (USB cable). Everything (at least the discrete list of limited apps available via apple car play) work great with my vehicle.

Some features (Pandora, Music, Phone, Text) work fine via Blue Tooth connection.... without USB connection.

The reason the other apps need to be wired is related to bandwidth requirements to transmit and receive the data. Yes, BMW carplay works entirely via Bluetooth...But BMW designed a Local Area Network into their vehicles to provide for that.... (think of the wireless router in your home.

Hope each of you enjoy your Alfa as much as I am enjoying mine.

Great work, I've just picked up a June 2018 Stelvio Speciale that has "7C" in the VIN number.. I currently have MV /TV-051.008.004 software on the infotainment system.. What else do I need to do to get either the software updated or the Apple Car Play features? I've trawled through loads of posts mainly on the US sites and it appears getting the basic software updated is a complete mare let alone the Apple Car Play added..

·
Registered
179 Posts
Great work, I've just picked up a June 2018 Stelvio Speciale that has "7C" in the VIN number.. I currently have MV /TV-051.008.004 software on the infotainment system.. What else do I need to do to get either the software updated or the Apple Car Play features? I've trawled through loads of posts mainly on the US sites and it appears getting the basic software updated is a complete mare let alone the Apple Car Play added..
Simple. Make sure you have the dual USB hub in the armrest. If you do just find a dealer that will turn it on, most likely for a fee. If you don't have the dual usb hub, put one in and then go to the dealer.

Michael

·
Registered
55 Posts
Simple. Make sure you have the dual USB hub in the armrest. If you do just find a dealer that will turn it on, most likely for a fee. If you don't have the dual usb hub, put one in and then go to the dealer.

Michael

Thanks Michael, is this the dual USB? This is inside the back seat area. The one inside the flap on the armrest has a single USB and one round AUX port..

Attachments

·
Registered
179 Posts
You need the one inside the armrest. You should be able to order from your dealer. Talk to the parts department. You might need to remind them your AR is a 7C.

·
Registered
148 Posts
So if I understand it, the head unit must be made after 12/17? We need the updated software or firmware on it. We need the two USB ports inside the armrest. If I already have the screen with 8.8 is that ok to keep with CarPlay? I guess if anyone knows what head unit specs or part number and do we need to have a particular screen too? If anyone knows pls

·
Registered
179 Posts
So if I understand it, the head unit must be made after 12/17? We need the updated software or firmware on it. We need the two USB ports inside the armrest. If I already have the screen with 8.8 is that ok to keep with CarPlay? I guess if anyone knows what head unit specs or part number and do we need to have a particular screen too? If anyone knows pls
The screen is irrelevant. In fact if you had a 6.5 you can literally just swap it with an 8.8.

As far as firmware, yes if the radio if the h/u is produced after a certain date. In the alfaowner.com forums there is some debate about the date. What isn’t being debated is the vin number has to be a 7C and not a 7b. In theory you could just change out h/u’s, but it could only be a brand new h/u. A used one is tied to a vin and probably won’t be cleared by a dealer or someone with the software. At least not legally.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Conversation with local dealership

So I had an email exchange about CarPlay upgrade with local dealer and the service director said 6k saying everything needed to be changed. I don’t know about the price of the usb hub but seems like the thread in install is doable. I have a mechanic friend who is quite handy. Screen, if irrelevant,is good to go. 2018 build head units are available on open market for several hundred so the obstacle would seemingly be a dealership or corporate simply holding us hostage to pay bucks to activate. If hub is couple hundred bucks and head unit is 400 bucks online, now at 600? Far cry from 6000 the dealer speaks of. I recall my original Honda Ridgeline had no Bluetooth function and with time, aftermarket devise cured that. Maybe something like a CarPlay dongle will allow the mirror on the display like a television at home can do.

·
Registered
179 Posts
So I had an email exchange about CarPlay upgrade with local dealer and the service director said 6k saying everything needed to be changed. I don’t know about the price of the usb hub but seems like the thread in install is doable. I have a mechanic friend who is quite handy. Screen, if irrelevant,is good to go. 2018 build head units are available on open market for several hundred so the obstacle would seemingly be a dealership or corporate simply holding us hostage to pay bucks to activate. If hub is couple hundred bucks and head unit is 400 bucks online, now at 600? Far cry from 6000 the dealer speaks of. I recall my original Honda Ridgeline had no Bluetooth function and with time, aftermarket devise cured that. Maybe something like a CarPlay dongle will allow the mirror on the display like a television at home can do.

Yeah the dealer is way off, even hours to install won't take that long. Truly the biggest obstacle is the h/u and getting a dealer to program it. A used HU is an issue because it has to be completely reset to accept a new vin. Again you gotta get a dealer to do it for the most part.

Check out this thread https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-giulia/1178541-retrofitting-8-8andquot-display.html#post17460173

There is another by that explains turning carplay on.

Michael

·
Registered
179 Posts
Dumb question: why does the dual hub in the arm rest matter? Thanks.
All about volatge. The old signle one doesn't have th power necessary to allow a phone to run carplay and not discharge at a fast rate. I ran in to this with another brand of car.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I wonder if the new firmware will include FCA's AR brand. It would be nice if it is written to retrofit our 2018's.

Article's URL: Fiat Chrysler's Android-Based Uconnect 5 Infotainment System Gains Wireless CarPlay and More

Fiat Chrysler's Android-Based Uconnect 5 Infotainment System Gains Wireless CarPlay and More
Monday January 27, 2020 7:01 am PST by Eric Slivka
Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) today announced the upcoming launch of its next-generation infotainment system, Uconnect 5. The new version of Uconnect has been rebuilt from the ground up on an Android platform with a number of new features including wireless CarPlay and Android Auto, a familiar-yet-revamped user interface, support for up to five user profiles for customization, Alexa support, improved voice control, and more.

Uconnect 5 home screen
We've been fans of the current Uconnect 4 infotainment system and the way it nearly seamlessly blends ‌CarPlay‌ into the native system, and making ‌CarPlay‌ wireless will no doubt make that experience even better. Many of the other improvements in Uconnect 5 such as enhanced customizability, faster hardware performance, and new features and services should also make for a better user experience.

Uconnect 5 user profiles
The award-winning Uconnect system offers new conveniences, keeping customers engaged and informed all while keeping their hands on the wheel and eyes on the road. Apple ‌CarPlay‌ and Android Auto are currently available on more than 80 percent of FCA's North American applications. Uconnect 5 will bring Apple ‌CarPlay‌ and Android Auto to 100 percent of FCA's North American offerings. The feature also adds wireless connectivity, allowing customers to wirelessly project phone apps quick and easy, while leaving phones securely stowed.
Uconnect 5 TomTom navigation
Wireless ‌CarPlay‌ has so far been largely limited to a handful of luxury brands like BMW, Audi, and Porsche, with some aftermarket systems also supporting it, but more mainstream manufacturers are on the verge of adding wireless Carplay as they launch major updates to their infotainment technology. Ford announced last October that its SYNC 4 system will support wireless ‌CarPlay‌ in select vehicles, and now FCA is following suit with its family of brands including Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, and more.

FCA has yet to announce exactly when and on which models Uconnect 5 will first launch, but it should start rolling out later this year.

Related Roundup: CarPlay
Tag: Fiat Chrysler

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have Apple Car play in my 2018 also has Android Auto but both must be via a cable not Bluetooth.

Ian

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have Apple Car play in my 2018 also has Android Auto but both must be via a cable not Bluetooth.

Ian
Mine too. But I like the decent charging rate. I haven’t looked into bluetooth connectivity yet. I want the high charge rate. Why are you upset about the lack of Bluetooth pairing?

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Plenty of info on our forum and elsewhere on a wireless Car Play solution:
Yep - it will consume power. Not a big deal with newer phones.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The screen is irrelevant. In fact if you had a 6.5 you can literally just swap it with an 8.8.

As far as firmware, yes if the radio if the h/u is produced after a certain date. In the alfaowner.com forums there is some debate about the date. What isn’t being debated is the vin number has to be a 7C and not a 7b. In theory you could just change out h/u’s, but it could only be a brand new h/u. A used one is tied to a vin and probably won’t be cleared by a dealer or someone with the software. At least not legally.
I have a "7C" in my vin, however infotainment starts with 002.xxx
What difference does it make to "B" vin models if the infotainment firmware is old?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Conversation with local dealership

..... 2018 build head units are available on open market for several hundred so the obstacle would seemingly be a dealership or corporate simply holding us hostage to pay bucks to activate. ...
Be carefull simply buying a (used?) head unit, you need the security code for that unit, otherwise it will not work, and you cannot get hold of it if it does not come with the HU.

641 - 660 of 666 Posts