Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am looking around online for a 2018 Stelvio with Apple Carplay.
3 So Cal dealers I have contacted do not have a 2018 on the lot with Apple Carplay as an option.
They have lots of Stelvios instock with $4k-$7k dealer discounts which tells me they are trying to sell them quicker.

They do tell me to order a 2019 custom in order to have that option ?

And why does the Alfa online configurator / build page show 2018MY with Apple Carplay as an option ?:confused:

·
Premium Member
2018 Stelvio Base 20" yellow calipers
1,504 Posts
It's complicated.

Reactions: Luis Lusso

·
Registered
508 Posts
cuz you order it in '18 but by the time you get it, you will probably have the '19 ...... AR has mishandled this so bad.

I just hope they do a real upgrade on the sound system for the '19 models as well and upgrade that little grainy backup camera at the same time. While they are at it they should make that infotainment system Touchscreen too, since its so close and in range of the driver.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I chat with my dealership Sales Manager a lot - we commiserate with each other on how slow Alfa is to get information or cars to the customers and dealerships. We had a one hour talk a week ago (he is a pretty cool guy, worked for a lot of different luxury brands) and I asked him how sales were going. He said GREAT, but...

He sells every NEW vehicle that is delivered to his store pretty quickly. He has a huge number of custom orders that are guaranteed sales when they come in (like mine). BUT...

He has 8 vehicles from 2017 still sitting on his lot. Some of them are coming up to their one year anniversary in July. He is DESPERATE to sell them (hinted at outrageous discounts) but these initial deliveries from the Alfa factory were an options/colour disaster. Anything built in 2018 is much better specced and sells quickly (one of the desirable items is CarPlay/Android Auto for $200 - factory configured on some vehicles built this year and being delivered 4 months after being built - perhaps since May/June is my guess). He said he has given up on trying to sell the 2017 orphans and will instead turn them into loaner cars for customers. Perhaps your SoCal dealerships have some older stock that just won't sell too, or the CarPlay equipped regular stock sells out very quickly or are pre-sold custom orders...

My suggestion if you want CarPlay is to just keep checking inventory every week as I am sure most incoming stock will have this feature soon. Also you can ask your favourite dealership to find the spec of car you want from any other nearby dealerships and they can get it for you at no additional cost. Finally, if you have the patience, you can do a custom order and just wait 4 months to get exactly what you want (which probably will be a 2019 model by the time it gets here in Oct or later).

·
Read Only
849 Posts
And Alfa don’t want prepare a retrofit to equip the 2017 with the last module compatible with car play and auto

·
Registered
763 Posts
I chat with my dealership Sales Manager a lot - we commiserate with each other on how slow Alfa is to get information or cars to the customers and dealerships. We had a one hour talk a week ago (he is a pretty cool guy, worked for a lot of different luxury brands) and I asked him how sales were going. He said GREAT, but...

He sells every NEW vehicle that is delivered to his store pretty quickly. He has a huge number of custom orders that are guaranteed sales when they come in (like mine). BUT...

He has 8 vehicles from 2017 still sitting on his lot. Some of them are coming up to their one year anniversary in July. He is DESPERATE to sell them (hinted at outrageous discounts) but these initial deliveries from the Alfa factory were an options/colour disaster. Anything built in 2018 is much better specced and sells quickly (one of the desirable items is CarPlay/Android Auto for $200 - factory configured on some vehicles built this year and being delivered 4 months after being built - perhaps since May/June is my guess). He said he has given up on trying to sell the 2017 orphans and will instead turn them into loaner cars for customers. Perhaps your SoCal dealerships have some older stock that just won't sell too, or the CarPlay equipped regular stock sells out very quickly or are pre-sold custom orders...

My suggestion if you want CarPlay is to just keep checking inventory every week as I am sure most incoming stock will have this feature soon. Also you can ask your favourite dealership to find the spec of car you want from any other nearby dealerships and they can get it for you at no additional cost. Finally, if you have the patience, you can do a custom order and just wait 4 months to get exactly what you want (which probably will be a 2019 model by the time it gets here in Oct or later).
Sounds like a good dealer to do business with. When my dealer sold me my Stelvio, they were telling buyers that all 18 Stelvio could and would be retro fitted with Apple car play/Android auto. When they had to admit that was not correct, they put the blame on Alfa, saying the area Alfa support rep told them that.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Thanks @pelucidor - this was very useful information!

It helps to find out what others know and this was so much more helpful than the visit I had yesterday with an Alfa dealer.

I will check back to see if new inventory shows up because I am hoping to snag a 2018.5 model with Apple Carplay before the end of the year when the 2019 are in at the same time, pressuring the dealer to get rid of the 2018's.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Unfortunately I don’t believe that anyone can depend on Alfacare for correct info.

The lack of Apple CarPlay is both a safety and financial issue. A car without it will be worth a lot less in the future.

·
Registered
478 Posts
If it isn’t on the sticker you should never assume it is a future option. Mine has it and it was clearly on the sticker.

It’s nice, works well enough and I find the wheel thingy to be better than a touch screen for the subset of CarPlay operation. I would not expect any Stelvio before December 2017 to ever have the capability. And any after that I wouldn’t expect the capability unless it’s on the sticker. I doubt it will impact resale/residual much though. Lack of a sunroof is much more likely to impact resale.

·
Registered
65 Posts
For those of you wondering. I called ALFA ROMEO today and they stated that my 08/2017 built Stelvio won't have apple car play nor it's capability to upgrade.

FYI. I must admit it's a bumner but I'll get around it. :)

happy to drive this bad boy. :)
Which number did you call?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just picked up my new Stelvio yesterday. Mine has a build date of July 2018, and CarPlay was optioned on it. I bought the car in New Jersey at Ray Canena Maserati- Alfa Romeo. I live in Chicago and drove the car back and used CarPlay the entire time. This was honestly my first experience with CarPlay. I Spent 12 hours in the car, and navigated with Waze. There is NO WAY, I would buy a Stelvio without it. Integration with the new CarPlay OS was seamless, no issues, no crashes, just easy operation.

If anyone is looking for a Stelvio with CarPlay, go to Ray Canena Alfa Romeo's website and look at their remaining 2018 inventory. Everything is still listed at MSPR BUT, you will get the same deal as what others have listed. I think in the end I ended up getting around $7k off of sticker for a purchase. This would have been more if I leased, but Chicago has strange tax laws on leased cars and you end up getting double taxed on leased cars. I worked with Max, and he was a pleasure to do business with.

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Endeavour32: my build date is 4/18. I also have Apple CP, and Waze works fine, except I cannot lower the volume less than '7'. Sounds low but it is still a little too high. Same with Apple maps. However, the volume is OK with Google Maps (go figure...) - others with earlier builds had problems with Google maps volume. I assume you did not have any volume issues. By the way, congrats on your new Stelvio!

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
'This was honestly my first experience with CarPlay. I Spent 12 hours in the car, and navigated with Waze"

I guess I have to try these play things sometime - ours has them but we haven't tried plugging the phones in yet.
yes, i am a primitive - but I've pretty much got the hang of the standard nav now. seems to work.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Endeavour32: my build date is 4/18. I also have Apple CP, and Waze works fine, except I cannot lower the volume less than '7'. Sounds low but it is still a little too high. Same with Apple maps. However, the volume is OK with Google Maps (go figure...) - others with earlier builds had problems with Google maps volume. I assume you did not have any volume issues. By the way, congrats on your new Stelvio!
I have same issue where volume will not go lower than 7 on any navigation app. Somewhat annoying.

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
I have same issue where volume will not go lower than 7 on any navigation app. Somewhat annoying.
Today I realized that all of the nav Apps volumes do not go less than 7 as you noted. Oh well, another item for the next software/firmware update!

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Can someone please tell me how to find the build date. Can't quite work it out from the door pillar sticker.
Top section of the door pillar

Attachments

1 - 20 of 34 Posts